• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Card carrying objectivists

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope @FrantzM doesn't mind me quoting his post on another thread. I think it is a good jumping off point for a discussion.

Hi

While I have become a card-carrying "objectivist", I believe we need to take into account what we perceive, rightly or wrongly. Measurements came to be, to ascertain some of our perceptions , not the other way around. In my book there are differences between gear that under a given set of measurements sound the same. THD in particular as usually measured remains in my book as an insufficient metric, with most any units exhibiting vanishingly small level of such while sounding to my ear quite different. In the here and now, I would like members to continue posting their subjective impression even if it is to be challenged or even later reversed with proper observations, tests protocols , etc .. Such can only advance our knowmledge rather than declaring (hydrogen-audio-like) that we have reached perfection and that every gear sounds the same. Itt remains true that the differences may not be as great as the hyperbole would lead to believe, but we are again in the psychology of human emotions and perceptions: What is "small" and/or insignificant ( loudness wars among others) for most humans in term of audio differences may not be for the audiophiles.

On this, I have struggled also with the MiniDSP accessories in the signal chain. I am not yet persuaded that all DACs sound the same and am not pleased both emotionally and intellectually with the notion of cascading AD to DA conversions.. Something has to give and it usually does with a large degree of insatisfaction... subliminal often ... many find themselves not listening to their stereo as often.
The goal of these measurements should be IMO to further the enjoyment of reproduced music in one's home.

Measurements came to be to ascertain some of our perceptions, not the other way around he says. Maybe, maybe not I say. The measurements that stuck around I would agree.

The bigger question is declaring we have reached perfection and all gear sounds the same. I would ask, what would convince you such a thing is true? (not just FrantzM, but a question to the larger audience here).

Now it is my opinion everything other than transducers are fully transparent to us and exceed our ability to hear it. Caveats include things designed to have a "sound", and poorly designed gear. Poorly designed gear still happens even at elevated pricing. Though it seems unnecessary. Items like the Topping DACs show that inexpensive gear can be very good.

We also have gear people seem to love for the sound. Certain tube gear for instance. Maybe fully transparent gear isn't really the solution for maximum satisfaction for music/gear lovers. Quite often extremely high fidelity gear is declared sterile sounding. Colorful gear like colorful decorating can be satisfying for the taste shown in the endeavor.

How much is psychological? Firstly that despite intellectually knowing gear should sound the same you come to the conclusion over time or casual use that somehow it is still doesn't? We get influenced by so many things even the shape, size and cost of something. Even after you have "shot it out" in blind testing and could not hear any gear vs another you still find yourself (or I should say myself) equating certain sound qualities to one device vs another. Level match it and try blind and it all disappears yet it can reappear all the same. Measure it till the cows come home finding no reason for a difference and yet experience hearing it differ all the same. Of course I was infected with audiophilia decades ago. Those starting out without the infection might not have such a hard time.

Also mentioned is a subliminal sense of dissatisfaction which sometimes leaves one listening to their music less often. That too has a psychological element to it that goes beyond the performance of the gear. We get some satisfaction of a goal obtained by hearing differences, selecting gear, thinking what we have has been assembled with care, taste, and discernment. Even if the sound quality is not diminished or even altered one bit the psychological attachment, satisfaction, and the entire listening experience is different when one has put together their gear vs saying "its all perfect just pick what you need for least cost". Audio becomes an appliance and you get about the same satisfaction from your rig as you do your refrigerator. You only notice it when it doesn't work.

So if it has become true, that short of speakers, I can provide a list so that you can pick any item on it knowing they all sound exactly the same, does this diminish the hobby, or the experience or your tendency to listen to music? Should one intentionally proceed with untrue assumptions if they result in being a happier audiophile? And if you have become a card carrying objectivist how do you reconcile your knowledge with the experience?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Let me start at the top and say if you can do a proper blind test that shows measurements to be wrong, then that is that. A controlled listening test is the ultimate test. So it is not that we (I) cherish measurements over listening tests.

The problem is that our measurements remain too good, not the other way around. Even when there is large degradations in measurements, when I perform blind AB tests, I often have trouble telling products apart in listening tests. If we can create an instance of clear listening test differences yet with measurements that don't reflect such, then I would love to investigate it.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
snip.....................
If we can create an instance of clear listening test differences yet with measurements that don't reflect such, then I would love to investigate it.

Me too. Have asked for that many times from those who say we don't know everything about how hearing works and you can't measure everything that matters. Find me something that unequivocally matters to the point it is clearly heard, but that is not measureable. <crickets>

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Now it is my opinion everything other than transducers are fully transparent to us and exceed our ability to hear it.

Assuming they have no fan, transformer hum, clicking hard disk, squeaky knob, then yes. All silent.

---

Find me something that unequivocally matters to the point it is clearly heard, but that is not measureable. <crickets>

Time for an experiment!

I have a miniDSP 2x4HD now, and did the measurements below in-room with the JBL LSR 308 (because the MartinLogans aren't trained listener approved)

Getting to the Point Space Saving Spoiler hiding measurements...

Red = Benchmark, Blue = 2x4HD

upload_2018-3-17_14-17-33.png

upload_2018-3-17_14-18-44.png

upload_2018-3-17_14-19-37.png

upload_2018-3-17_14-20-28.png

upload_2018-3-17_14-21-4.png

I can click back a forth between the two, no delay, levels matched to .2dB at 500Hz.

Listening Test:
The path with the miniDSP 2x4HD as DAC almost sounds like mono in comparison to the path with the Benchmark (on some sections of the same material I briefly listened to - Carla Bley - Tropic Appetites).

I expected them to be indistinguishable based on the measures above.

They aren't. What happened?

Looks good. Scratches head.

Little differences, yeah. Not much at all. Nothing I would point to in a discussion and think Ah-Ha!

Hmmm.

Face turns red after discovering the Input/Output Matrix on the 2x4HD was misconfigured and it WAS mono...

upload_2018-3-23_14-45-29.png

Paths:

CD player -> coaxial -> active switch -> optical -> DEQ2496 -> optical -> miniDSP OpenDRC-DI -> optical -> Benchmark DAC2 -> XLR -> Krell KCT B1 input-> Krell KCT Zone 1 output -> XLR -> JBL LSR 308

CD player -> coaxial -> active switch -> coaxial -> miniDSP 2x4HD -> RCA -> Krell KCT S2 input -> Krell KCT Zone 1 output -> XLR -> JBL LSR 308[/spoiler]

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have a mini dsp 2x4HD which I was going to be using for speaker DSP but subjectively I wasnt entirely happy with the sound.

Well, I suppose the 2x4HD will be good enough use as a subwoofer controller as anticipated.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
There is a card? where do I get one?
Any decent audio boutique should be able to give you an officially validated card, provided you spend at least $100,000 on your system with them. Yes, there are the tin and bronze versions for lesser expenditure, but those have little credibility since your system is obviously not good enough. So, you want to go to the platinum level.

But, beware that the platinum cards expire unless you spend at least another $25,000 per year in upgrades.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Let me start at the top and say if you can do a proper blind test that shows measurements to be wrong, then that is that. A controlled listening test is the ultimate test. So it is not that we (I) cherish measurements over listening tests.

The problem is that our measurements remain too good, not the other way around. Even when there is large degradations in measurements, when I perform blind AB tests, I often have trouble telling products apart in listening tests. If we can create an instance of clear listening test differences yet with measurements that don't reflect such, then I would love to investigate it.
Now it is my opinion everything other than transducers are fully transparent to us and exceed our ability to hear it. Caveats include things designed to have a "sound", and poorly designed gear.
Have asked for that many times from those who say we don't know everything about how hearing works and you can't measure everything that matters. Find me something that unequivocally matters to the point it is clearly heard, but that is not measureable.

We're in 100% agreement here.
I have said many times I'll become a believer as soon as on of them can show me controlled blind listening proof of their magic dust. :)
Its simple.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People generally don’t question it when a doctor uses a thermometer. Why not just feel the temperature? People don’t question their speedometer. Why not just look at a static object and estimate your speed? Try that logic with a cop when you get pulled over for speeding! Something about hifi that gets some people into this belief system that their ears have superpowers. This hubris is exactly what marketing loves to exploit.

Side note: I vote for miniDSP to be measured. If it’s DAC measures well, it would be one heck of a Swiss Army knife.

Wombat

Master Contributor
We're in 100% agreement here.
I have said many times I'll become a believer as soon as on of them can show me controlled blind listening proof of their magic dust. :)
Its simple.

Me, too.

The considerable resources of the 'subjective' proponents have yet to be used to validate their claims in any disciplined and repeatable way. I just see anarchy there.

Demonstration beats verbosity/claims.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I know we are crossing threads here but my reply to frantzm is relevant and we can carry on the discussion here

The minidsp processors I have used have one thing in common, they resample to 48 ir 96khz. This is the bit I am suspicious of. I agree that cascading conversions is intellectually displeasing, however I have recorded dacs enough times to know it can be extremely difficult to tell them apart.

When you start to control comparisons very tightly the differences often vanish or become very, very tiny. With respect, my reaction to your comment of "quite different" is that the comparisons were not tightly enough controlled. Audiophiles are no different to anyone else. Every time I have tested audiophiles they fail to show any sign of super auditory abilities. The alleged night and day differences that were there when sighted etc disapear.

Try listening to this comparison test from the Chord Mojo thread. If you want to do the test properly use something like foobar abx comparator.

http://alanmarch.hopto.org/sharing/3re1FgOSQ

There is very little to excited about in the difference of dacs these days. Amplifiers however do have a wider range of operational conditions. Different speakers may affect performance measured and audible. Speakers themselves do have a wide range of measured performance and sound.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jokes put aside ... I am about to pull the trigger on
People generally don’t question it when a doctor uses a thermometer. Why not just feel the temperature? People don’t question their speedometer. Why not just look at a static object and estimate your speed? Try that logic with a cop when you get pulled over for speeding! Something about hifi that gets some people into this belief system that their ears have superpowers. This hubris is exactly what marketing loves to exploit.

Side note: I vote for miniDSP to be measured. If it’s DAC measures well, it would be one heck of a Swiss Army knife.
Me 2! OTOH I would like subjective account to. As you can tell in spite of my professed objectivism, i still carry remains of my old self :(

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I plan to do that but I think it cannot work as a USB DAC. Is that right?

Has Driver Install for use via ASIO.

Working on it.

upload_2018-3-18_4-9-26.png

See ReadMe in Xmos folder.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Jokes put aside ... I am about to pull the trigger on

Me 2! OTOH I would like subjective account to. As you can tell in spite of my professed objectivism, i still carry remains of my old self :(

In an urn? :eek:

Top Bottom