• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Car Audio Amp Mini Nightmare.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
This replacement is much more powerful than the factory amp. and I wonder if that sound you're describing is the amp shutting off and powering on again because of the voltage is dropping below a certain threshold.
I had this Sony amp in a 3-speaker setup (2 regular speakers and a subwoofer, all within specification). The bass hit the same as my old factory amp but weirdly after 1-2 songs, it would just go silent. If I turn on/off the headunit, the Sony amp happily sings. One day later, It happened again and so I pulled over. The Sony amp, was a normal hotness and the indicator light was a steady white light (not a flashing red). I cycled my headunit again, and played some non-bassy music and the amp never went silent. I did notice when I first had the Sony amp installed, the indicator light would slightly dim when a bass note hit on the subwoofer.

Top Bottom