• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Capacitor Break-in...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well...

If I search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Capacitor+Break-in

The results are all audio sites, except a HAM site, and maybe a couple of guitar sites, at least on the first page.

Therefore, I must assume capacitor break-in is not something the real world concerns itself with, or they are being very secretive about it because it is so important.

802Lundgren

Hello,
forming big electrolytic capacitors is a thing. I guess you could call that break in?
Maybe this works for smaller caps to, but much faster so you never notice? :rolleyes:

No, I think he is measuring something else don't know what though?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If there is money to be made either legitimately or not, you can bet the marketing types will start frothing at the mouth with amazing claims.

egellings

Major Contributor
Most new 'lytics I have bought and checked arrived with the expected capacitance & leakage values. I don't think they need to be formed, as that is done in the mfg process when the caps are polarized & formed. ESR is a consequence of the structural aspects of the cap and doesn't change noticeably with use, if the cap is not severely abused with excessive ripple current or applied voltage. Basically, you get what you order straight up from the reputable mfrs. The story could be different, however, for very old 'lytics that have sat around in little ol' radios that have not been played in an eon. They need to be gently nursed back to health if they are not in the same shape as the dried out insect shells found in the radios.

Beave

Major Contributor

HemiRick

IF You understand how a capacitor is constructed and works, the entire concept of it breaking in is absurd. Kind of like a wire burning in LOL

Reactions: wje
Top Bottom