• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you take the USB output from a Phono A2D Preamp into USB input of a DAC?

AW61

Can you take the USB output from a Phono A2D Preamp into USB input of a DAC?

I have a SMSL DAC with the standard USB input.

Instead of taking the USB feed from a computer I want to take it from a Phono A2D Preamp so I can play my turntable into the DAC. This will mean I can use the same speakers as I do for streaming.

Such Phono A2D preamps are designed to feed IN to a computer. In thyis case I want to bypass the computer and feed straight to the DAC.

I’ll need a USB gender changer adapter to achieve this as both the preamp and the DAC have the same gender USB

Do you think this will work?

Does anyone have experience of doing this (Connecting turntable to DAC) – or of a better way round?

Thanks

OP
A

AW61

Won't work.
USB needs a host (PC most of the time) and clients (ADC, DAC, any other USB device)
Connecting 2 clients won't work.
OK! I suspected this may be the case.

Any other way to connect the turntable to the DAC (NOT using a computer)?

EdTice

OK! I suspected this may be the case.

Any other way to connect the turntable to the DAC (NOT using a computer)?
If the phone preamp has Optical/Toslink output you can hook that up directly to the DAC. Is it a combination DAC/AMP?

OP
A

AW61

Yes - it's the D0200.
I'm already using the optical input (from Chromecast Audio) But I could get one of these and take the SPDIF to the DAC? I'll need a separate Phono preamp first to handle the MM cartridge.

I think that would do it?

EdTice

Yes - it's the D0200.
I'm already using the optical input (from Chromecast Audio) But I could get one of these and take the SPDIF to the DAC? I'll need a separate Phono preamp first to handle the MM cartridge.

I think that would do it?
I'm confused. I thought you had a Phono A2D pre-amp? If so, any digital output that it produces can go right to the DAC. There aren't "line" and "phono" level Optical/Toslink. Digital signals are not like analog! Maybe I am misunderstanding?

EdTice

This has the same problem as the initial solution. Devices that "output" USB can't be connected to devices that "input" USB because that's not how USB works. USB is a two-way protocol (If you hook up a USB drive, you can both read and write files!). But USB connections consist of a host and a USB peripheral. Two USB peripherals cannot communicate without assistance of a host (computer).

If you want to connect and ADC to a DAC, you can't use USB. Your choices are optical or digital coaxial if both devices support it. And even then it might not work. Some ADCs and DACs won't work if they aren't connected to a host even if they are powered. Most will work this way but you still should confirm before purchase. Those designed for home studio recording are the most common exceptions (although some of them work just fine)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Oh my bad, only clinged to OP needing a USB converter without checking what the actual device is. In that case yeah RCA out to (pre)amp is the way to go.

EdTice

Oh my bad, only clinged to OP needing a USB converter without checking what the actual device is. In that case yeah RCA out to (pre)amp is the way to go.
Their DAC/headphone amp combo doesn't have analog input! But they have a phono ADC with (I think) digital output. Exact model numbers would help here. If there is Toslink/Digital Coaxial output, no additional equipment should be needed

Eetu

Forum Donor
Their DAC/headphone amp combo doesn't have analog input! But they have a phono ADC with (I think) digital output. Exact model numbers would help here. If there is Toslink/Digital Coaxial output, no additional equipment should be needed
Yes if it's the Rega Fono A2D (?) it's only RCA out (+USB).

Last edited:

EdTice

Yes if it's the Rega Fono A2D (?) it's only RCA out (+USB).
Yeah, that device seems primarily intended for those who want to make digital copies of their records. But it does have a proper phono pre amp stage. So one can connect the RCA output directly to a headphone amplifier with RCA input or a line-level ADC.

Hopefully the OP will clarify the actual equipment. It's unfortunate to have a headphone amplifier with only digital inputs if one also wants to play vinyl!

OP
A

AW61

Thanks for your replies!

To clarify - I think the signal path will end up being:-
Turntable (MM RCA out) --> Phono Preamp (RCA out)--> A2D (RCA in , SPDIF out) -->DAC (SPDIF input)

That sound OK?

Eetu

Forum Donor
Thanks for your replies!

To clarify - I think the signal path will end up being:-
Turntable (MM RCA out) --> Phono Preamp (RCA out)--> A2D (RCA in , SPDIF out) -->DAC (SPDIF input)

That sound OK?
As @EdTice mentioned it would be helpful if you could list the actual devices/models you have. For example doesn't the A2D already include a phono preamp? Does it even have a SPDIF output in addition to USB? And so on..

OP
A

AW61

As @EdTice mentioned it would be helpful if you could list the actual devices/models you have. For example doesn't the A2D already include a phono preamp? Does it even have a SPDIF output in addition to USB? And so on..
OK - Turntable is a Dual 604 with moving Magnet cartridge, RCA output
DAC is SMSL DO200
Both Phono preamp and A2D converter are yet to be obtained, but likely these

and

Eetu

Forum Donor
OK - Turntable is a Dual 604 with moving Magnet cartridge, RCA output
DAC is SMSL DO200
Both Phono preamp and A2D converter are yet to be obtained, but likely these

and

Seems like these should do the job! Since you are already using the optical in of your DAC a phono preamp like the Pro-Ject Optical Box E is ruled out.
Another option would be to use a switch (like this) after the DAC and switch between tt/phono and dac/streaming but I'm guessing you're using the DAC as volume control.

To sum it up seems like the phono preamp and ADC would be good choices in terms of functionality. You could likely do better if you wanted absolute performance (accuracy of RIAA, noise, jitter etc.) but would have to up the budget quite a bit and even then the audible improvements would probably be subtle.

OP
A

AW61

To sum it up seems like the phono preamp and ADC would be good choices in terms of functionality
Thankyou - have ordered the preamp and A2D, looking forward to seeing how it all goes.

Zek

Major Contributor
@AW61 Why would you do a double digital conversion for a signal from a turntable (phono > ADC > DAC > analog RCA to amp)?

OP
A

AW61

Good question - because the DAC I have can only take a digital input. I realise this won't be the best for sound quality, I could buy a preamp but that would mean another set of leads to my active speakers

EdTice

Good question - because the DAC I have can only take a digital input. I realise this won't be the best for sound quality, I could buy a preamp but that would mean another set of leads to my active speaker
This thread motivated me to go look at the preamp reviews on here. And there is nothing recommended under $600. It's only the Topping Pre90. I know the Schiit is on the list for $350 but it seems to do an analog to digital conversion as well. Everybody is different but I'd be more than willing to tolerate an ADA conversion for that much money. Even a switch would work (rather than a preamp), but many of those review so poorly that the ADA conversion is still better. Most DACs use digital volume controls so they can't server double-duty as preamps when using phono connections. I hope this works out well for you as you've worked hard to find a good solution.

Top Bottom