• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can the gathered knowledge here, recommend a reasonably priced, decent sounding Car Head unit single din please.

JFMUSIC

I'm struggling with bad specs and extreme price disparity.

Thanks in advance.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Looking for a replacement for the cassette unit on my FL 2003 Buick Park Avenue 41k..

Is there a specific recommendation? Trusty site?

Head units definitely an under-served need here at ASR!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree there are few units tested here (and none anywhere else AFAIK). A search for 'head unit' will find 3-4 tests here.

dunno about your car but a separate amp should help with most head units, and some people like the new Blaupunkt, maybe for classic looks

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
cant help with single DIN. I can tell you I love the Kenwood DMX 906S. It's a double DIN touchscreen with support for Android auto and apple carplay. It is cheaper because it deletes the navigation and CD player support. So it works great as a screen for your preferred smartphone OS. Includes support for wifi android auto so super convenient. For your personal music library it has a decent USB file storage and music server. So I just copied all my local music to a 250GB USB stick and plugged it in to the USB drive. So the library is always there and ready to go.

The unit is "hi res" certified so it is capable of playing 24 bit audio. It has a digital graphic eq. with multiple custom memory settings and a configurable subwoofer crossover frequency and slope setting.

Can play music locally and navigation from your phone and take calls all at the same time. So can seamlessly switch between phone and local device. really happy with it.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
here is a data dump based on my own search (for an old sports car)

Becker Europa II has the nice faceplate

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kmm-bt728hd/

Clarion M508 marine unit - 7 1/8 × 2 × 6 1/2” - blue display only

Pioneer MVH-X560BT - Ugly, weighs 1.1 lb.

Pioneer DEX-P99RS - $1,100

Pioneer DEH-80PRS - $300 - ugly

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X998 - $250; semi-ugly

xxJensen JBR550 - 158mm deep

RetroSound - $440 135 mm deep??

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/...yr_1971~mk_porsche~md_911&variant=28569109571

https://www.classentials.com/produc...es-3-mg-mgb-and-other-british-cars-1970-1975/

http://turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Home.html

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-...d-Factory-Radios-Mono-Parts-PN-RMKRAD001.html

http://www.outofsightaudio.com/

Continental radios - will stream music from a iPhone via Bluetooth only. The USB connector is made for use with a memory stick and will not charge an iPhone.

• no line out ???

Dimensions (WxHxD) 188x56x120mm

TR4512UBA–OR has AM/FM + USB & Bluetooth 4.2; has 2 Auxiliary Inputs (1 Front / 1 Rear)

TR7412UB-OR dos NOT have line outs

Nakamichi Mobile CD Tuner1

RCA out 4 channels; ~~1992 vintage

RCA for input

Depth ~ 170mm to back of faceplate - too deep??

Nakamichi CD400 - 160mm deep; made in 2003

xxNakamichi CD-45z - 170mm deep

CD45z and CD400 are great units. Nak had A LOT of issues with the CD300 and CC500. If you want a REALLY nice unit look at the CD700II.

https://nakamichicaraudio.com/pages/history

xxClarion M508 - depth = 165 too deep

Car Radio Head Unit

VW Vanagon requires “short body” head unit & will help in 911 too

JVC KD-X560BT - short body 182 x 52 x 117 (mm)

• has 3” display screen

Wirecutter likes Kenwood KMM-BT322U - 182 x 53 x 100 (mm)

• ugly - easy to use, driver-friendly; voice control, large and conveniently located buttons, and illuminated labels for the buttons’ secondary functions. It has a bright, clear, two-line display that’s easier to read and shows more information than models with a single-line display

existing Pioneer SuperTuner - depth is 130mm

Listed in the specifications the weight is 2.4 lbs

Dimensions 170 x 50 x 130

FM usable sensitivity = 12 dBf (1.1 uV/75 ohm, mono)

FM Quieting sensitivity = 17 dBf (1.9 uV/75 ohm, mono)

Signal to Noise ratio = 70 dB (IEC-A network)

Continental/VDO - AM tuning is for UK, not US - no direct iPhone Apple Lossless play (Bluetooth)

188 x 58.5 x 114.7 mm

http://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/896189-installing-the-continental-tr7412ub-or-radio.html

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/continental-trd7412ub-or.html

Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cVJs9xSPmUw/p_423BREMENS/Blaupunkt-Bremen-SQR-46-DAB.html

$450; 0.85 kg (1.87 lb)

two USB-A ports (front & back) - iPhone connectivity

SD-card slot

Pre-outs

Depth = 110 mm

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the information, Seems like the Alpine stands up to its reputation from 20 years ago, name brand and not great.
What is your budget and what do you want to be able to do? You mentioned good sounding. With car audio you would upgrade the speakers, crossovers and a separate external amp to get to “good sound.” I’m not sure how involved you are looking to get or how simple you want to keep it. Also what year and model is your car?

OP
J

JFMUSIC

I grabbed MB quart 169s 3 way 6x9's
and have Jbl's on the doors I think they are 5", been there since the 90's
and mini tweets that have, Little boxes with a couple components internal inline with them. I think they are
Crossovers. They have been in place and the car was parked for 12 years.
Way too long to remember what they are.
trying to find a used Amp to put in place.
All this is happening on a non existent budget.

I have a Pioneer from the Mid 90's that I was happy with at the Time, in a a convertible 1980 Triumph.
What is your budget and what do you want to be able to do? You mentioned good sounding. With car audio you would upgrade the speakers, crossovers and a separate external amp to get to “good sound.” I’m not sure how involved you are looking to get or how simple you want to keep it. Also what year and model is your car?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Joying 1 din HU with 16bit spdif out or the pricier Stinger 1 din ELEV8 or HEIGH with 24 bit spdif out so that you can use DSP ( almost mandatory in car audio).These are android with streaming Tidal etc capabilities.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and mini tweets that have, Little boxes with a couple components internal inline with them. I think they are

I have a Pioneer from the Mid 90's that I was happy with at the Time, in a a convertible 1980 Triumph.
Cool. So you are covered for speakers. What are you looking to improve by replacement of the head unit? Do you want to add modern functionality like Bluetooth or carplay/android auto? Or are you looking for improving the sound with the top down? If the latter id suggest finding a good car audio external amp. Modern class d amps are cheap and much more powerful than the class a/b amps from the 90s.

iMickey503

Forum Donor

OPTION 1

The most budget friendly way to go about this is to go to a JunkYard, and pull a stereo from there. Sign up for Tool kit Rewards, and check your email for 1/2 off headunit day. Or wait will they have a 1/2 off sale day. $15 bucks for a current head unit. Kenwoods (Like wirecutter liked) are everywhere.

Certain cars have a high-output OEM amplifiers can have 8- 12 channels. do your research and find out which one will work best for you. look for Chrysler cars with the kicker systems as they have high-output amplifiers. cars like the Volvo's usually have a Dynaudio amplifier and these have quite a bit of power along with being able to run the subwoofer.

while you are there look for vehicles that are just like yours so you can grab their OEM Radio wire harness. bring some crimp connectors and some pliers and make your wire harness there in the yard and then attach it to the back of the radio you got.

often these cars will have good RCA interconnects make sure and pick those up as well cuz you're going to need them along with battery cables and the best ones to get and the easiest ones to get our ones in the Chrysler vehicles to have the battery in the back they are sufficiently large gauge and battery cables are only $8 regardless of how long they are.
that should give you about 18 ft of wire at about 0 gauge to use for your wiring needs. make sure to get the fusible link while you're in there. it should be attached to the battery cable wire that way you get a free fuse in the deal.

often you can find aftermarket amplifiers in the yard but you have to get there early.

The trick is? You have to go there and scope out what comes in when they get in new cars. ($2.00 unless free admission day) If you can't get it on sale, some people hide stuff in the yard... like put the faceplate and the headunit in 2 different places. Then come back to it when it's going to be on sale or 1/2 off day. That how the.....Nevermind.

OPTION 2

-Phone you already have. (Not connected to USB Charger)
-3.5mm to RCA Cable. (Walmart Onn Brand is Okay)
-any 4 channel car audio amp you can find for 20 bucks on OfferUp. Craigslist....you're going to get a broken amp for $20.

R.M. OPTION 3
-Phone you already have. (Not connected to USB Charger)
-3.5mm to RCA Cable. (Walmart Onn Brand is Okay) Monoprice is $1.00
-I'm on my 3rd Divorce :facepalm:
-I just got off of Probation :)
-My life is on the right track :cool:

Honorable mentions NEW.
-Bluetooth 4 channels $83 bucks. Best for convenience of bluetooth. Sounds good surprisingly.
-GM-D1004 Amir tested this. About $140 bucks Mini good Amp however.

USED (sure bets they work)
-Boss Audio Armor series.
-Sony Xplod'ed 4 channels amps.
-Orion amps (300 Watts or less) and MonoBlocks

I only have $10.00 , and I want everything!
-This at Walmart (Wire directly)
-Any one of these free on Craigslist or Offerup. (Just keep the volume down)

Pipe Organ Music Lover on SSI?
- Free Creative 5.1 and 7.1 and Klipsch computer Subs. Most lost their amp, or control wire or the din plug broke.
- Free Home Theater Subs like the polk that the plate amp Died.
-Free 12" home speakers. The Mighty Car Mods Way.

Like you asked. No Budget build.
Your Welcome.

Let me know if you need to make a secondary battery.
Those can be found at the laptop Battery recycle bins.

Top Bottom