• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone comment on the build quality of this LPS - Thanks!!!!

fatoldgit

Looking to power my low end PC with this (it pulls 22w max).. any general thoughts on quality?

Link to item with detailed photos is here:

Top view (taken from website) is as below:

1683670006764.png

Thanks,

Peter
:

TK750

Yeh I can't understand why on earth you would choose this over a quality unit from an established manufacturer with certification, warranty, etc etc?

OP
F

fatoldgit

Yeh I can't understand why on earth you would choose this over a quality unit from an established manufacturer with certification, warranty, etc etc?
So its crap?

reasons being?

Sure I have looked at "quality units from an established manufacturer with certification, warranty, etc etc".

While it might be nice to live in the US for example (which I did for 15 years) where everything is cheap but living at the arse end of the world (since moving back to my home country) means if a small item costs X then add in third/half X to get it shipped.

In general, with anything audio, take the US dollar price and times it by 3 to get the landed cost (exchange rate/shipping/tax) in my local currency and strangely enough my salary isnt 3x the US equiv.

I am using a $US 200 PC... do I really want to spend $US 600 or more to power it?

ocinn

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking to power my low end PC with this (it pulls 22w max).. any general thoughts on quality?

Link to item with detailed photos is here:

Top view (taken from website) is as below:

View attachment 284577

Thanks,

Peter
:
What is your PC? A laptop?

TK750

So its crap?

reasons being?

Sure I have looked at "quality units from an established manufacturer with certification, warranty, etc etc".

While it might be nice to live in the US for example (which I did for 15 years) where everything is cheap but living at the arse end of the world (since moving back to my home country) means if a small item costs X then add in third/half X to get it shipped.

In general, with anything audio, take the US dollar price and times it by 3 to get the landed cost (exchange rate/shipping/tax) in my local currency and strangely enough my salary isnt 3x the US equiv.

I am using a $US 200 PC... do I really want to spend $US 600 or more to power it?

This is $88 isn't it? There are plenty of "quality units from an established manufacturer with certification, warranty, etc etc" for a similar or even cheaper price available?

Moreover are you not already using something to power it currently? As Sarumbear has asked, what exactly is it you are planning on powering?

OP
F

fatoldgit

What am I powering... see the first sentence in my post "Looking to power my low end PC with this (it pulls 22w max)."

Not a laptop a PC.

So below is the pricing, in my local currency, for a Small Green Computer LPS (a quality unit from an established manufacturer).... note the shipping cost.

Shipping is a rort... the seller makes a killing on it.

So if you are in the US, this would cost US$285.00 plus some minor shipping.

The cost to me will also include 15% import tax I will have to pay on arrival so if converted back to $US, the $US285 is now $US 700.

It sucks to be an audio lover in the arse end of the world.

1683672950786.png

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What am I powering... see the first sentence in my post "Looking to power my low end PC with this (it pulls 22w max)."

Not a laptop a PC.

So below is the pricing, in my local currency, for a Small Green Computer LPS (a quality unit from an established manufacturer).... note the shipping cost.

The cost to me will also include 15% import tax I will have to pay on arrival so if converted back to $US, the $US285 is now $US 700.

View attachment 284583
Just grab a generic powerbrick or something from MeanWell and don't waste your money on snakeoil.

OP
F

fatoldgit

This is $88 isn't it? There are plenty of "quality units from an established manufacturer with certification, warranty, etc etc" for a similar or even cheaper price available?

Please point me in that direction...12V DC 50W.

Thanks

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Not a laptop a PC.
This is how a PC power supply looks like. Unless you define your PC we cannot help you. You also have not told us where you are located.

IMG_3994.png

SuicideSquid

Please point me in that direction...12V DC 50W.

Thanks
Please provide more information.

You mentioned it's a small PC. What form factor case? You mentioned you have trouble importing. What country are you located in?

If you don't provide specifics we can't provide options. But there's absolutely no reason to use a linear power supply with a PC and it has nothing to do with the build quality, or lack thereof, of any given power supply.

TK750

Not a laptop a PC.

View attachment 284583

I did see that but it seemed very strange to me. When I see power supply for PC to me that means some box with cables, or more often these days modular, to connect to various headers on motherboard, pcie devices, maybe some sata etc. Hopefully the meanwell I posted is what you are looking for.

ocinn

Assuming OP has a NUC style micro PC which is just a laptop without a screen and keyboard. Either way, an $8 wall brick will do the job just fine, not sure what the obsession with snake oil linear supplies is from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264971088941? - $60w, $8.75. Call it a day

OP
F

fatoldgit

Assuming OP has a NUC style micro PC which is just a laptop without a screen and keyboard. Either way, an $8 wall brick will do the job just fine, not sure what the obsession with snake oil linear supplies is from.

Well I guess it comes down to my professional life spilling into other areas.

Everything is a system meaning that it consists of interconnected "modules" of some description.

In my work as a software engineer I deal with mission critical "things" where fast switching is important.

Taking any real world project I deal with, assume the stuff I write needs to do 100,000 things. And in doing these things, like any software, there are multiple hand offs between sub components. If I write crappy code that takes 1/2 a second more per thing than good code, doing those 100,000 things means it takes 14 hours longer to achieve a result.

But I dont have 14 hours EXTRA... I have maybe 4 to 8 hours maximum, in total.

Now for a typical customer, every additional hour I take means they lose anywhere from $US 500,000 to $US 1,000,000 per hour (sometimes more).

Imagine the simple case where there are three sub-modules doing something. I cant write crappy code for the first two steps and except that I am such a coding God that I can make up for the time lost in the third sub-module.

So how does this mindset apply to audio. My PC connects to a DAC which connects to an amp which connects to the speakers... i.e. a system.

Under your theory, nothing matters cause the downstream components will deal with it. But my mindset is what if they cant?

So I try (based on my professional mindset) to ensure (within reasonable cost limits) that my power delivery in the upstream components is as clean as possible in the off chance that some downstream components are affected (i.e. have poor power filtering, poor jitter rejection etc)

Now you could say (which you probably do)..."dont bother and see how it sounds" but again my professional mindset cant allow that.

Peter

P.S. I know nothing of audio engineering aside from some theory and have no ability to measure stuff... so all I can do is follow "best practice"

PPS While in general Amir has shown, for example, that most DAC's dont need a fancy power supply ...some do... thus I want to err on the side of caution

Last edited:

Elitzur–Vaidman

Well I guess it comes down to my professional life spilling into other areas.

Everything is a system meaning that it consists of interconnected "modules" of some description.

In my work as a software engineer I deal with mission critical "things" where fast switching is important.

Taking any real world project I deal with, assume the stuff I write needs to do 100,000 things. And in doing these things, like any software, there are multiple hand offs between sub components. If I write crappy code that takes 1/2 a second more per thing than good code, doing those 100,000 things means it takes 14 hours longer to achieve a result.

But I dont have 14 hours EXTRA... I have maybe 4 to 8 hours maximum, in total.

Now for a typical customer, every additional hour I take means they lose anywhere from $US 500,000 to $US 1,000,000 per hour (sometimes more).

Imagine the simple case where there are three sub-modules doing something. I cant write crappy code for the first two steps and except that I am such a coding God that I can make up for the time lost in the third sub-module.

So how does this mindset apply to audio. My PC connects to a DAC which connects to an amp which connects to the speakers... i.e. a system.

Under your theory, nothing matters cause the downstream components will deal with it. But my mindset is what if they cant?

So I try (based on professional mindset) to ensure (within reasonable cost limits) that my power delivery in the upstream components is as clean as possible in the off chance that some downstream components are affected (i.e. have poor power filtering, poor jitter rejection etc)

Now you could say (which you probably do)..."dont bother and see how it sounds" but again my professional mindset cant allow that.

Peter

P.S. I know nothing of audio engineering aside from some theory and have no ability to measure stuff... so all I can do is follow "best practice"
Linear power supplies are a snake oil subset in the audio world. Based on your described professional mindset, I'd definitely recommend a meanwell power supply. A generic one would almost certainly work and be cheaper, but meanwell is a well-established name and still cheaper than snake oil.

ocinn

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Under your theory, nothing matters cause the downstream components will deal with it. But my mindset is what if they cant
They can deal with it. Easily. You will be wasting money with this approach.

Top Bottom