• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can RPi4 based player benefit sonically with an improved PSU??

MisterKevster

RPi4 is connected via usb to Topping E30
Using Moode to play local files.
Pi has Argon40 PSU, and E30 has Topping PSU as supplied.

Are any benefits possible via improvements to the PSU(s).....!!??

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wecome to ASR. I think it would make more sense to start improving the end than the beginning of the chain.

OP
M

MisterKevster

Wecome to ASR. I think it would make more sense to start improving the end than the beginning of the chain.

Hey....thanks for the reply...and the welcome
Now I am confused.....there appears to be a whole world of AES out there...and I've never heard of it....
Where might I start please??

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will sound better if it runs on green electricity.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey....thanks for the reply...and the welcome
Now I am confused.....there appears to be a whole world of AES out there...and I've never heard of it....
Where might I start please??
AES-EBU is a balanced digital signal using XLR connectors. But never mind, your E30 uses digital over unbalanced RCA only.

charleski

Major Contributor
The best power supply going to be a battery, right? Pure DC power with no AC hum or powerline/switching noise.
Except... Archimago tested this and couldn't find a shred of difference to using a standard PSU.
You just need to make sure the PSU can supply enough current. I use the official RPi supply on my Pi4 and works fine with a Toshiba laptop drive and USB dongle DAC drawing power from USB.

OP
M

MisterKevster

The best power supply going to be a battery, right? Pure DC power with no AC hum or powerline/switching noise.
Except... Archimago tested this and couldn't find a shred of difference to using a standard PSU.
You just need to make sure the PSU can supply enough current. I use the official RPi supply on my Pi4 and works fine with a Toshiba laptop drive and USB dongle DAC drawing power from USB.
That's what I was after!
Thanks.

notsodeadlizard

That is, someone seriously powered the entire raspberry from different sources, while a little confused the battery with a power bank, and science received new invaluable data.
Well, it happens.

Top Bottom