• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I use interconnect cables as power cables?

JensenW

Hello all, I have some shielded coaxial interconnect cables lying around, with twin solid conductors of 1mm diameter, each in a TPFE sheath. A 1mm diameter solid copper wire theoretically has a current rating of 9.5A.

Is there anything unsafe that should stop me from converting the above cable into figure-of-eight terminated power cords for my active speakers which consumes a maximum of less than 200W each speaker? Thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all, I have some shielded coaxial interconnect cables lying around, with twin solid conductors of 1mm diameter, each in a TPFE sheath. A 1mm diameter solid copper wire theoretically has a current rating of 9.5A.

Is there anything unsafe that should stop me from converting the above cable into figure-of-eight terminated power cords for my active speakers which consumes a maximum of less than 200W each speaker? Thanks!
It won't be to electrical code. If something happens you could be liable if caught.

OP
J

JensenW

It won't be to electrical code.

Does it violate the electrical code because the intention of sales was as an interconnect and not a power cable, or because there are specific points of design of coaxial interconnects that makes them inadequately insulated/ safe for electrical power use?

I'll take your advice and not use them as power cords, though I'd still like to learn in what way(s) the electrical code is violated with such usage. Thanks!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It will probably work but it seems like a silly thing to do... Is it stamped with a voltage rating?

A 1mm diameter solid copper wire.
That's about 18 AWG which is a little thin for a power cord.

theoretically has a current rating of 9.5A
Current carrying capacity is not so simple... With 200W (and only on occasional peaks) voltage drop won't be a problem but the voltage drop (loss) depends on current and resistance (Ohm's Law). So a longer cable (more resistance) needs to be fatter (lower gauge = less resistance) than a short cable carrying the same current.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it violate the electrical code because the intention of sales was as an interconnect and not a power cable, or because there are specific points of design of coaxial interconnects that makes them inadequately insulated/ safe for electrical power use?

I'll take your advice and not use them as power cords, though I'd still like to learn in what way(s) the electrical code is violated with such usage. Thanks!
I searched the Canadian Electrical Code a bit and found this for single conductor cable with shield.>

-When using a single conductor cable with a metal sheath or armour: induced voltages may cause the conductor insulation temperature to exceed its rating. In this case, Rule 4-010 Induced voltages and currents in metal armour or sheaths of single-conductor cables requires you to derate the conductor along with some other procedures to mitigate this situation.

Then there is mention of insulation flame resistance, spacing of conductors in parallel and open air and closed air conductor current capacity.

I think it best to use cable that is designed for the task and is pre-approved for that too.

egellings

Major Contributor
Nope! Although parts of the cable may be robust enough to do the job, the assembly using those parts will not meet safety codes.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Please no! Just buy a proper power cable. You're not getting any benefit with using another type of cable for mains AC.

OP
J

JensenW

Thanks everyone for your kind input!

So I will drop the idea of "transforming" the interconnects into power cables as it is not possible to know the safe power rating of the interconnect cable if used "off label" for power.

When using a single conductor cable with a metal sheath or armour: induced voltages may cause the conductor insulation temperature to exceed its rating. In this case, Rule 4-010 Induced voltages and currents in metal armour or sheaths of single-conductor cables requires you to derate the conductor along with some other procedures to mitigate this situation.
I see. Just read some specs of proper power cables, and discovered that solid wire power cables like the heavily shielded Gotham 87215 have a published rating of only 9 amperes instead of the full 15 amperes as theoretically calculated from its conductor size (source: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html).

Is there less of this problem with power cables with stranded conductors?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for your kind input!

So I will drop the idea of "transforming" the interconnects into power cables as it is not possible to know the safe power rating of the interconnect cable if used "off label" for power.

I see. Just read some specs of proper power cables, and discovered that solid wire power cables like the heavily shielded Gotham 87215 have a published rating of only 9 amperes instead of the full 15 amperes as theoretically calculated from its conductor size (source: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html).

Is there less of this problem with power cables with stranded conductors?
The shielded cable conductors are not in free-air so it will run hotter. I'm guessing that reduces the capacity.
87215.png

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cables has a voltage rating to . Power cables are often rated at for example 230v. 400v ,500v 690v (in EU) but are tested with far more .
It's another ball game to certify cables for power rather than small signals . Insulation heat dissipation and "general mechanical ruggedness" :) ( please supply me with a better word here ) .

Is it ok diy power cables even with the correct materials ? :rolleyes: I may have done that , but simply with power cables in bulk and schuko and IEC plugs

kongwee

Major Contributor
Yup, beside amp you need to see the voltage rating. I use belden silver coated shield 3 core 440V 16amp cable for power cord and it awg is the right size to make XLR cable.

UCrazyKid

10 AWG: check
Shielded: check
Pretty: check
Cheap: check
Electrons love it: check
Power Cable on Amazon
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.35.32 AM.png

EdTice

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I think you've been answered, but I'll just give my....

Hell No.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Buy power cables, they have the certified insulation (if it is a reputable manufacturer at least). There should not be any crack or opening in the certified insulation (certified for the voltage and the conductors must be certified for the amperage). The outer jacket should completely hide the inner insulation and wires. You are not allowed to come in contact with the inner wires when they are charged with high voltage, it is really to protect your life.

It's not clear to me what you mean by figure of eight. I would be interested in reading an explanation. The wattage of the speakers is not really important, because the AC outlet delivers lethal high voltage. So the voltage is high enough to penetrate the skin, and that means the amperage/wattage is usually enough to be deadly or at least very dangerous. Yeah, that's the price we pay for the mad scientists like Tesla and Edison who gave us the technology that made AC outlets possible!

In Europe the voltage is 230 volt and in America it's only about half that, so Ohm's law comes into play. Americans sometimes need about twice as much amperage for their electrical appliances, it's actually about twice as dangerous in a way. Keep in mind that solid core conductors are only certified for fixed installations, inside the walls or under the ground. Stranded wires are flexible and certified for normal power cables that can be moved around and plugged into AC outlets. Very important, because the solid conductors could break very quickly if you use them for a purpose that is not certified. In Denmark, it's 18 AWG = 10 amperes, 16 AWG = 13 amperes and 14 AWG = 16 amperes. But we just name it after the cross-sectional area in square millimeters, not American Wire Gauge.

Edit: That is 18.5 AWG ≈ 10 amperes, 15.5 AWG ≈ 13 amperes and 13.5 AWG ≈ 16 amperes.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think is a decently possible way to seriously harm or kill yourself or someone else.

EdTice

In Europe the voltage is 230 volt and in America it's only about half that, so Ohm's law comes into play. Americans sometimes need about twice as much amperage for their electrical appliances, it's actually about twice as dangerous in a way.
For a more detailed explanation, see the movie "Running Scared"

Danny: Try not to scrape the third rail, okay? There’s about 600 volts in there.
Ray: It’s not the voltage that gets you. It’s the amps.
Nun: How many amps are there?
Ray: Enough to push a train, and shut up!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Can I use interconnect cables as power cables?​

You can use anything as a power cable - once. :)
Best Overall Answer! Gold Medal is awarded. :cool:

Top Bottom