• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I use Denon receiver with external amplifier without pre-amp mode

azaudiogeek

To answer your question, you can totally do what you want to do. Until last week, I was running my X6700H in “mix” mode. Meaning I was using external amps to drive my LCR, surround and rear surrounds while driving my 4 x Revel M55XCs ATMOS speakers with the X6700H internal amps with ZERO issues. Last week got an Emotiva BasX A4 to drive the ATMOS speakers and now I have switched the X6700H to pre amp mode. Results are very similar other than the X6700H runs just a bit cooler. Before the X6700H I was doing the same with a X6500H which is now in my bedroom also driving a few speakers with internal amps and some with external amps. Next week I’ll be running the X6500H also with all speakers driven by external amps, though.
Thanks Sir for the inputs. I have had 5308ci from 2007 that works rock solid to-date. Upgraded system with x6200W from my dad's house as he was downsizing his posessions. I followed your advice above and integrated such that the current 7.1 channels are driven by 5308ci - remains unchanged. Remaining 4 front and rear heights are driven by x6200W internal amps.

5308ci's maximum volume is +18db, kept it at +10db in EXT.iN Direct mode and all 7 channels are driven without issues. My fronts are Definitive ST Tower (350w) while Center, Surrounds and Surround Backs are all Def Mythos 10 (300w). Have dual SB-4000 driven directly by x6200W's sub1 and sub2 outputs. Actually I spliced Sub1 output to feed powered FL and Sub2 output to feed powered FR. Ran Audyssey and its just rocking!

I have few questions though -
There is a provision in 5308ci to adjust Analog input volume by +12db for all Pre-Inputs. Currently I set it at 0db. Do you think I need to give maximum flexibility to x6200w by putting +12db?

Maximum volume on 5308ci as mentioned above is set at +10db that is 90% or max volume limit of +18db. You think I should keep in EXT.iN mode 100% or reduce it to 80% to 0db?

Thanks

azaudiogeek

Thanks for the reply, so it looks like, for now at least, my money is better spent elsewhere, like on a new rythmik sub to compliment my L22 :)
That's precisely what I have done following your lead Sir! instead of buying new AVR or Separates, reused my 5308ci and a used but decent x6200w from my dad's place and spent money on a pair of SVS SB-4000's!

Top Bottom