• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can 70V audio distribution system deliver decent sound?

klettermann

I just moved into a new house wherein the previous owner spent gobs of $$$ on various odd technologies. These include elaborately wiring every room for cable TV (75ohm coax) and speaker wires all through the house to run a 70V audio distribution system with in-wall and in-ceiling speakers all over. He could have hardwired the house for gigabit ethernet and used Sonos or something but went total 80's on it. Apparently he hadn't heard about the internet. Anyway, I don't know much about these 70V systems except that I associate them with cheesy, commercial venues for Muzak (grocery stores, shopping malls, etc). All I have left is a few in-ceiling speakers, the wiring and a bunch of in-wall transformer attenuators.

So: can this stuff possibly sound any good? And can such systems even play stereo or is it just mono everywhere? Obviously I'd need an amp to do anything at all. Alternatively I may just use the wiring and set up a few small class D amps fed by some kind of streaming source. Thoughs and ideas welcome. Thanks!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you are dealing with long runs of skinny speaker wire, high voltage is exactly what you want to minimize resistive loss. 70 volt PA amplifiers can be had pretty cheaply. I wouldn't expect really high fidelity, but it might be pretty decent for casual listening.

With a more modern cloud-connected solution like Sonos, you'll be lucky if you get 5-7 years of useful life out of the things before they're rendered obsolete.

How's about a mix of old and new? Like a 70 volt PA system with Sonos as a source? That gives you the convenience of apps and streaming services but keeps obsolescence-prone parts to a minimum.

OP
K

klettermann

Multiple cables. There are 3 2-conductor cables where the old amp was. These go to 3 transformer-type volume controls on the wall. Each of those seems to feed a >>pair<< of speakers, . Looks like respective speakers were wired in parallel , nothing here seems to be 2-channel. He could have done so much better! :facepalm:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
there are 'higher performance' 70v systems

JBL Pro CSA series is better than many esp. the no name PA types... they use drivecore which is robbed from Crown I beleive.

OP
K

klettermann

Thanks for the comments, which caused me to dig deeper. 4-conductor wires were used to connect the amp with the respective volume controls. Only 1 pair was used however, hence speaker pairs are all mono as noted above. It wouldn't be hard to get rid of the volume transformers and reconnect it all for 2-channels. So, this gives me 3 sets of skinny stereo cables nicely run through the walls. I'd be inclined to do it that way using one or 2 units like Bluesound Powernode instead of the 70V route. Among other things, I've already gort a couple pairs of suitable bookshelf speakers. That now raises the issue raised by @JeffS7444 - skinny speaker wire. But that's a topic for a new thread. Thanks and cheers,

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Modern high power amplifiers can drive a 70V system without an output transformer.
Everything you need to know about 70V systems:

egellings

Major Contributor
I just moved into a new house wherein the previous owner spent gobs of $$$ on various odd technologies. These include elaborately wiring every room for cable TV (75ohm coax) and speaker wires all through the house to run a 70V audio distribution system with in-wall and in-ceiling speakers all over. He could have hardwired the house for gigabit ethernet and used Sonos or something but went total 80's on it. Apparently he hadn't heard about the internet. Anyway, I don't know much about these 70V systems except that I associate them with cheesy, commercial venues for Muzak (grocery stores, shopping malls, etc). All I have left is a few in-ceiling speakers, the wiring and a bunch of in-wall transformer attenuators.

So: can this stuff possibly sound any good? And can such systems even play stereo or is it just mono everywhere? Obviously I'd need an amp to do anything at all. Alternatively I may just use the wiring and set up a few small class D amps fed by some kind of streaming source. Thoughs and ideas welcome. Thanks!
It's problematic, because small audio step up and step down transformers are carrying the sound. For elevator music, like the Hollyridge Strings plays the Beatles, then I 'spoze. For decent sound, look elsewhere.

OP
K

klettermann

Thanks to all. Wow. It looks like maybe I can get some use or of one or two off the cable runs. Maybe. All this elevates the last, and maybe most interesting, question: why?? The previous owner was a retired cop who seemed to have LOTS of money to spend {that's another question in itself). Why do this in this day and age? Was he even listening to music? Now I imagine that it was lo-fi voice, podcasts perhaps, but that's would be newer tech. A police scanner perhaps? We'll never know but it's fun to imagine. Thanks again.

Top Bottom