• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CamillaDSP User Interface Alternatives

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given how capable it is, I imagine CamillaDSP might have quite a wide variety of use cases for quite a lot of people. One not-very-visionary way is to use it as an EQ for non-Windows sources. CamillaGUI interface, albeit quite handy, is not the most easy to use however for the EQ usecase. I was wondering whether there are any popular alternatives to CamillaDSP GUI that people use which I can give a try. Thanks.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
Given how capable it is, I imagine CamillaDSP might have quite a wide variety of use cases for quite a lot of people. One not-very-visionary way is to use it as an EQ for non-Windows sources. CamillaGUI interface, albeit quite handy, is not the most easy to use however for the EQ usecase. I was wondering whether there are any popular alternatives to CamillaDSP GUI that people use which I can give a try. Thanks.
I'm not aware of any. Do you feel it's just not possible for you to use it because it's too complicated; too awful etc? If you have a specific question about it I'm sure I and others can help you out. It's pretty much the same in principle as the other PEQ systems I've seen (filter type, q, gain etc).

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I works fine and I don't have any issues with it. Maybe I don't know some of the tips and tricks or I am doing something wrong, or maybe my use case is very simplistic because it feels like the large part of the way in which UI is designed to operate is not something I'd need with "EQ between Mac and headphone amp" use case and making simple changes feel a bit clunky at times.

For example when I add a filter, I almost always want it in the pipeline for both channels - is there a way to make that happen automatically? Is there a way to tell the UI not to change the device config but just filters, pipeline and mixers so that I don't accidentally mess up the device settings? Is there an import function using which I can import EQ settings from AutoEQ, a text file or json or sth? When I change the filter type, frequency, gain, q etc all goes back to default. Is there a way to stop that from happening?

Last edited:
OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1683531427321.png
1683531301614.png

Here is the EQ settings for HD600 from Peace and HD6XX CamillaDSP. I had to zoom out 30% to see all the filters and you can't still read it.

threni

Major Contributor
I works fine and I don't have any issues with it. Maybe I don't know some of the tips and tricks or I am doing something wrong, or maybe my use case is very simplistic because it feels like the large part of the way in which UI is designed to operate is not something I'd need with "EQ between Mac and headphone amp" use case and making simple changes feel a bit clunky at times.

For example when I add a filter, I almost always want it in the pipeline for both channels - is there a way to make that happen automatically? Is there a way to tell the UI not to change the device config but just filters, pipeline and mixers so that I don't accidentally mess up the device settings? Is there an import function using which I can import EQ settings from AutoEQ, a text file or json or sth? When I change the filter type, frequency, gain, q etc all goes back to default. Is there a way to stop that from happening?
I've only used it from moOde but it's always saved it when I've asked it to. If you're happy working with text files maybe you can save a config and then just edit and apply the resulting text file. I'd agree it can be clunky (it's a web interface after all) - it's a shame you can't slide a control up and down and immediately hear the result. I suppose the reason it's not as easy to see the config on one screen in Camilla is that you could have an arbitrarily complex pipeline with tens of channels, handling crossovers (with resulting filters etc). There's no reason why someone couldn't produce a light version of the interface which simulated Peace etc (10 channels of stereo each with toggleable PEQ and a pre-gain).

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no reason why someone couldn't produce a light version of the interface which simulated Peace etc (10 channels of stereo each with toggleable PEQ and a pre-gain).
Challenge accepted!

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh that is nice. I suspect UI is built with mainly crossover and room correction use cases in mind, both of which do not require changes very often I suppose. Looks like the new UI also has functionality to help with changing filters / configs more often. Looking forward to trying it out.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your software is very easy to deal with and the documentation is great Henrik.

For those who might care, I added a couple more functionality, an RMS level bar, a few buttons to serve quality of life functionalities such as Reseting the EQ to flat, and a "I have OCD" button that sorts filters by frequency, which always bothers me when they are not :)

1683711287943.png

jae

Major Contributor
Nice! Something I'm sure that people would love would be a dropdown/search bar for quickly importing or applying AutoEQ harman profiles? Maybe even spinorama speaker EQs too. Simple remote software is nice, but even the ability to swap easily between saved EQs could be nice on a host machine, via system tray applet or a hotkey or similar. I wonder if that could that be enough to replace eqapo+peace and similar solutions for a lot of people, since that is probably the extent of what they're using it for.

jae

Major Contributor
I guess "flatten and expand" is also a thing in Peace, although I quite like the idea of having a "wet/dry" slider for toggling the magnitude of the filters between their values and zero.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! Something I'm sure that people would love would be a dropdown/search bar for quickly importing or applying AutoEQ harman profiles?
Thank you for the feedback.

Yes, I do want that as well. Did some initial testing, I think I can make it work with AutoEQ. Maybe a bit limited functionality initially but can be expanded later on I think.

Maybe even spinorama speaker EQs too.
Just had a quick look at spinorama github. I can make that work as well. Might be good for easy switching between HPA and speakers I think.

Simple remote software is nice, but even the ability to swap easily between saved EQs could be nice on a host machine, via system tray applet or a hotkey or similar. I wonder if that could that be enough to replace eqapo+peace and similar solutions for a lot of people, since that is probably the extent of what they're using it for.
I wanted to be able control the EQ from the Macbook, Windows PC and iOS so web interface seemed like a sensible way to go but a native app also makes sense. Maybe after this one :)

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess "flatten and expand" is also a thing in Peace, although I quite like the idea of having a "wet/dry" slider for toggling the magnitude of the filters between their values and zero.
I am not sure I got that. You mean something like you can click on the Gain control for a filter band that is set to 3db, you move the mouse up and down and the gain changes between 3db and 0db to see what sounds better?

threni

Major Contributor
OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Added functionality to automatically get the list of headphones from AutoEQ github, parse the parametric eq settings as JSON and upload to CamillaDSP. Already saved a few config for my headphones and IEMs and it is working quite well If I can say so myself.

Wasn't sure if I liked to color scheme, so added a Preferences tab to make it possible to change that as well. At this rate, I think I can have a stable version up and running by later today/tomorrow and maybe share it with those who want to give it a try as well.

1683725482710.png

HenrikEnquist

It's not made for any specific use case. It's meant to be general enough to work for everything that camilladsp can do.
Looks great! Will that (well, a similar) interface be available for PEQ and not just a graphic equalizer?
Sure, can't see why not :) I want to get version 2.0 done asap so I'm not adding more features to it, but in 2.1 it's fine.

Top Bottom