• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio SR20

Carnajo

Hi all,

Anyone seen or compared any measurements of the Cambridge Audio SR20? What hi-fi seemed to think the SR10 lacked some "detail" and "organisation" so belonged squarely in the budget range, but I also know such reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt. Would one even tell the difference between it and a higher priced unit? I'm trying to determine whether it is worth buying or whether I should save a bit more or keep a look out for something better. It's on sale so the price is good but I wouldn't want to compromise just to save a few bucks.

Any info or experience with such a unit? It would be replacing a slightly old Marantz SR4003 AVR (running stereo duty). I need a second integrated amp for a second zone so thought I'd grab this as a potential upgrade to the SR4003 which I will then relegate to the second zone.

Any other recommendations?

georgeT

Power output 100 watts (into 8Ω)
THD (unweighted) <0.01% @ 1kHz, 80% of rated power , <0.15% 20Hz - 20kHz, 80% of rated power
Frequency response (-1dB) 5Hz - 50kHz S/N ratio (ref 1W) >82dB (unweighted)
Input impedances 47k ohms
Power Amp damping factor >50
Standby power consumption <0.5W
Max. power consumption 500W

Run of the mill class A/B amp with poor SNR, nothing to see here... unless it's dirt cheap/free, then I guess it's pretty good.
Look for a used Yamaha AS700 if you don't need digital inputs.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all,

Anyone seen or compared any measurements of the Cambridge Audio SR20? What hi-fi seemed to think the SR10 lacked some "detail" and "organisation" so belonged squarely in the budget range, but I also know such reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt. Would one even tell the difference between it and a higher priced unit? I'm trying to determine whether it is worth buying or whether I should save a bit more or keep a look out for something better. It's on sale so the price is good but I wouldn't want to compromise just to save a few bucks.

Any info or experience with such a unit? It would be replacing a slightly old Marantz SR4003 AVR (running stereo duty). I need a second integrated amp for a second zone so thought I'd grab this as a potential upgrade to the SR4003 which I will then relegate to the second zone.

Any other recommendations?

I would not rely on What Hi-Fi's subjective impressions. They are into too much woo, always have been.

None of which is to say that the Cambridge sucks. But you should look at online resources with good measurements, and choose the best from what you find.

Hypnotoad

None of which is to say that the Cambridge sucks.

I used to upgrade their phono stages, they used cheap Chinese Xunda capacitors inside, there nothing special.

OP
C

Carnajo

Power output 100 watts (into 8Ω)
Run of the mill class A/B amp with poor SNR, nothing to see here... unless it's dirt cheap/free, then I guess it's pretty good.
Look for a used Yamaha AS700 if you don't need digital inputs.

That's disappointing. Whilst it is at a decent price I would rather get something decent. Unfortunately the used market here is fairly limited so I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for any specific used model like the Yamaha AS700.

I would not rely on What Hi-Fi's subjective impressions. They are into too much woo, always have been.

None of which is to say that the Cambridge sucks. But you should look at online resources with good measurements, and choose the best from what you find.

Indeed, that was exactly my point, don't trust most reviews, I mean what does it mean that an amp isn't "organised" anyway? That's why I asked here, I couldn't find much in terms of reviews or measurements when googling for them.

I used to upgrade their phono stages, they used cheap Chinese Xunda capacitors inside, there nothing special.

And yet @amirm did recommend their phono when he measured the Cambridge Audio Duo Phono

Hypnotoad

And yet @amirm did recommend their phono when he measured the Cambridge Audio Duo Phono

Summing up what Amirm said, I would conclude it's nothing special:

"The Cambridge Audio Duo phono preamp comes in an attractive package despite its budget price and branded label. Its amplifier is essentially distortion-free and performance is mainly limited by power supply hum/mains leakage using MM input. MC incurs a penalty of 20 dB so you may hear some hiss there that would not with MM.

Sadly the headphone stage is a throw-away design. You can use it in a bind but don't be surprised if it has too little power/too high of a noise floor.

The Duo seems to be competently designed and attractively priced so I am happy to put it on my recommended list." - Amirm.

OP
C

Carnajo

Summing up what Amirm said, I would conclude it's nothing special:

Oh, okay, fair enough. I was going from the bit from the Schiit phono review where he said his strong recommendation is for the Duo, but I guess that is considering its price and comparison to the Schiit.

"The Schiit Mani seems to be competently designed. I find no clear flaws in it. For sure, it sets a lower target then the Cambridge Duo and gets there. If you can save up US $299, my strong recommendation is for the Duo but otherwise the Mani does the job for a budget phono stage." - Amirm.

Either way, seems like I need to keep looking for a decent budget(ish) integrated amp, preferably with optical in and two zones.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the more affordable end of their product range Cambridge major on offering nice feeling products which offer good features and decent performance for modest cost. They are not the best but for what they are they are pretty good products and I suspect most of their customers are satisfied. They offer something to UK customers in particular (I can't speak for anywhere else), they are the house brand of a major hifi and AV retailer with good reputation for service and customer care. So if I was to buy one of these and it had a problem I could drive 4 miles to the local store and based on my past experience be pretty confident they would resolve the issue. That in itself has a value.

Michael Hocter

I have an SR20, and I will recommend it as a decent amp for its features and price. It will hold up pretty well to anything else you find in its price range (under $400).

It has a built-in DAC that handles up to 24/192, MM phono stage, 3 digital inputs, 3 analog inputs, 3.5mm aux input, FM tuner, headphone out, dedicated subwoofer out, and A/B speaker outs. It has plenty of power. Cambridge builds solid stuff, so its build is really nice and heavy, not like a budget amp at all. The SR20 looks OK, but I kind of prefer the look of their older amps without the dinky digital display.

I use it with a U-turn Orbit turntable for analog, with a HifiBerry Digi+ Roon endpoint for digital, and I run my TV out through it too. KEF Q150 speakers at the moment, but I've used it with a variety of others. It just works and sounds great.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess we could put it into context by saying I can go to my local store and buy one of these for £299. It's a decently made product that appears to do what it says on the tin and I suspect that despite any measurement short fall in reality the amp and DAC will be pretty transparent and of sufficient power for most. On another thread we have a DAC which displays...ahem...less than great measurement and costs 13,000 euros. Without the amplifier.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have Cambridge's high end 100W on my bench at the moment. Although it has insanely good distortion performance and superb build quality (and is easily worth its $3k pricetag, IMO), I'd question whether it will actually sound better than the cheap version assuming your speakers aren't pathological.

The SNR is referenced to 2.83V and is fine for a power amp. If it's noise dominated and you have some worst-case speakers (say, 100 dBSPL/2.83V/m), the noise from the speakers will only be 18dB SPL at a meter, and far less at a normal seating position. That's lower than nearly all listening rooms. For something more typical like 90 dB/2.83V/m, that drops to 8 dB SPL at a meter, and no way you're likely to hear that.

Bottom line is that this amp will likely work well for you and not cost an arm and a leg. Magazine "subjective" reviews are worse than worthless- don't let them influence you.

OP
C

Carnajo

Thanks for the input. So doesn't sound as dire as it may have initially seemed. I guess the comment around the SNR put me off a bit but I guess, as @SIY said, it won't be audible at reasonable listening position.

Top Bottom