• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M - review/comparison?

pinkish

A thing worth mentioning: the local store, that's had the 200M in stock for about 2 weeks now, has already 1 resealed item for sale (or b-stock, as they call it). Meaning someone has bought it and already returned it :(

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Andrew Robinson has a YT review of the 200M newly posted. For those that can stomach it. . .

"Bass is deep and textural but lacks a bit of dynamics and attack". "Artists are dimensional and full bodied". High frequencies are "a little bit dry" and "lack ring and shimmer".

MBWORLDZ

And the most ridiculously thing is Cambridge replied back to me saying the delay is normal WTF?
Look at their reply I just received.
https://ibb.co/Tmcj7zn

Hello Cedric,

Please see the following reply from our engineers.

"DM200M can decode MQA from all inputs excluding BT only.
A delay up to 1-2 seconds can be normal, and it’s due to the fact the MQA decoder requires a certain amount of audio samples to actually detect the MQA watermark.
You’ll notice that if you scroll a song, or press pause then play, MQA light will take a bit to come back on."

One of our engineers also suggested connecting a computer or laptop directly to the DacMagic 200M to see if experience the same delay.Thank you and we hope this helps.

Good thing I sent back the unit last week and I just got my full refund. This totally garbage ! Save your money and get a good quality DAC.

MOCKBA

A very useful thread, all opinions counted. Since I do not listen to MQA (do not like a science to squeeze more money), no reason to pay extra $100 for that. If the DAC priced as $300, I would consider it.

MBWORLDZ

It's not just the MQA, I just don't think it worth $300 bucks. The sound is not as good. My desktop DAC FiiO K5 Pro sounds way better than that. Plus Cambridge customer service sucks. You probably saw how their technical engineer replied me. Totally unacceptable.

pinkish

whathifi.com review posted today. Their conclusion: 5 stars.

The similarly priced Chord Mojo sets a rather lofty benchmark at this price, despite lacking many of the Cambridge’s features due to its portable (and battery-powered) nature. The Chord edges ahead in performance, delivering even greater subtlety and rhythmic precision, but it can’t match the DacMagic 200M’s impressive feature versatility.

MBWORLDZ

Of course 5 stars, they get paid for the review LOL.
You should listen to the user like me I actually used it and got problem with it. And I am not the only one. There are other people having the same issues. This DAC is not all that. Especially the sound. There are many DACs out there sound way better than the 200M. Check out FiiO K5 Pro AK4493EQ. It sounds amazing plus whole less $$$$$. Best bang for your buck!

pinkish

I do listen to you because you're not a paid reviewer. The truth is I've been searching for a DAC for a long time. I want to use it for both active speakers and headphones and I had my sights on the SMSL SU-9, but then the DacMagic 200M came along and I really liked its specs. I am still hoping they can solve their problems with firmware updates, what do you think?

j^j=e^-pi/2

I've had the 200m for a few weeks. No problems with MQA delay. Wonder if there are any more new owners out there who can chime in?

MBWORLDZ

I do listen to you because you're not a paid reviewer. The truth is I've been searching for a DAC for a long time. I want to use it for both active speakers and headphones and I had my sights on the SMSL SU-9, but then the DacMagic 200M came along and I really liked its specs. I am still hoping they can solve their problems with firmware updates, what do you think?

This is their reply. And this is Ridiculous ! I don't think they will do any firmware update the issues. They said its normal LOL. Whatever !

Hello Cedric,

Please see the following reply from our engineers.

"DM200M can decode MQA from all inputs excluding BT only.
A delay up to 1-2 seconds can be normal, and it’s due to the fact the MQA decoder requires a certain amount of audio samples to actually detect the MQA watermark.
You’ll notice that if you scroll a song, or press pause then play, MQA light will take a bit to come back on."

One of our engineers also suggested connecting a computer or laptop directly to the DacMagic 200M to see if experience the same delay.

Thank you and we hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Joseph
Cambridge Audio

MBWORLDZ

USB to Windows 10. 5.0 driver.
Software Audirvana and the native Tidal and Qobuz apps. No problems with WASAPI or ASIO

It just works fine.

Are there more than just myself and MBWORLDZ who've tried the 200m?

I have totally different connection.

I don't use any PC and software. Straight hardware.

From Lumin streamer digital coaxial to 200M, then Line out to my McIntosh preamp using balanced cable.

Dexter_prog

I have totally different connection.

I don't use any PC and software. Straight hardware.

From Lumin streamer digital coaxial to 200M, then Line out to my McIntosh preamp using balanced cable.
why do you need this dac if you have a Lumin? Don't all their streamers have a dac?

MBWORLDZ

why do you need this dac if you have a Lumin? Don't all their streamers have a dac?

I like to test new sound. My Lumin can do full MQA decode flawlessly. The DAC is Wolfson not ES Sabre.
I wanted to compare the sound. Cambridge keeps saying this 200M is top of the line...........etc I wanna see how good it is. But very disappointed.
I had my Lumin using pass-through and use 200M as full MQA, FAILED !
Btw not all the streamers are built in DAC.

But now I am using my Lumin do the first two MQA unfold and have my McIntosh Preamp ES9016Pro - 8channel to decode the other half.

The 200M test result I wanted to post it just for whoever want to get this DAC. I gave up on Cambridge stuffs already, returned them and got my full refund.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, just wondering if anyone can let me know from specs if this is likely to be better than something like the SMSL M400?
It is unlikely to happen anytime soon... SINAD at 1Khz is announced to be 106dB, which is spec from Cambridge (could be matched or worse in most cases) The end. If price is a concern, there's the cheaper SU-9 which runs circles around it.
What the... Of course, it got 5 stars As 80% of any British products from manufacturers that advertise on their pages.
For those that can stomach it
I can't. Pure non-sense as always. I really wonder if he believes to his own bullshit.

Top Bottom