• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M - review/comparison?

panther

Am I thinking correctly that you can connect some active speakers through the XLR output and then a subwoofer to the RCA outputs on the DacMagic 200m while the outputs are set to variable mode?

BigBri41

Am I thinking correctly that you can connect some active speakers through the XLR output and then a subwoofer to the RCA outputs on the DacMagic 200m while the outputs are set to variable mode?

Mine is coming in tomorrow and this is pretty much how I intend to hook it up (assuming it will do it). Media Computer (USB) -> 200m. XLR outs will go to my amplifier and rcas will go out to my subwoofer. I'm replacing an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 that was hooked up the same way. Really hoping the 200m will allow the same hookup (I don't see why it wouldn't though). I typically hook it up this way so the media computer accidently or intentionally turned up to 100% will never exceed the volume I choose to set on the DAC.

panther

Mine is coming in tomorrow and this is pretty much how I intend to hook it up (assuming it will do it). Media Computer (USB) -> 200m. XLR outs will go to my amplifier and rcas will go out to my subwoofer. I'm replacing an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 that was hooked up the same way. Really hoping the 200m will allow the same hookup (I don't see why it wouldn't though). I typically hook it up this way so the media computer accidently or intentionally turned up to 100% will never exceed the volume I choose to set on the DAC.
My dealer I like to deal with if possible emailed me and they said it can be so take that for what you will.

ClosDeLaRoche

Cambridge does use measurement tools. They don't promote it though.

I bought a CXA61 and asked about ESS IMD hump considering the DAC uses a 9010K2M chip. It took a couple weeks, but eventually the engineers gave customer service an IMD measurement graph generated by their Audio Precision analyser showing only the slightest hint of the ESS hump. I posted it somewhere on this forum.

Solid engineering and customer service by Cambridge

Last edited:

chris719

Cambridge doesn't use measurements, which is a huge strike against them. But in terms of streaming functionality, I find their streamer/DACs excellent - full Roon integration, Chromecast support, airplay support, seamless switching between them. Really top notch.

I think Doug Self is behind at least a few of their products, so that would be contrary to what you’re saying here. At least, for those that he worked on.

I’d be surprised if anyone hiring Doug Self would be a rabid subjectivist but I also don’t know how Cambridge works.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It costs the same as my Gustard X16 but it has a headphone amp.

If I were in the market for a desktop DAC/amp I would seriously look into it. I have a NEO iDSD which I like but this one is $200 cheaper.

Fish17

It costs the same as my Gustard X16 but it has a headphone amp.

If I were in the market for a desktop DAC/amp I would seriously look into it. I have a NEO iDSD which I like but this one is $200 cheaper.
Just ordered a X16 but was not aware of this offering. Time to cancel that order and do somemore research lol.

curiouspeter

Just ordered a X16 but was not aware of this offering. Time to cancel that order and do somemore research lol.
Do you need a headphone amp?

If not, the X16 is still looking good.

Or if you need a more powerful balanced headphone amp you will need something else anyway.

Fish17

Do you need a headphone amp?

If not, the X16 is still looking good.

Or if you need a more powerful balanced headphone amp you will need something else anyway.

Don't need a headphone amp but if it's good that's a nice tiebreaker. Cambridge does not seem to test very well based on the 100M but the extra digital inputs is a nice bonus.

curiouspeter

Don't need a headphone amp but if it's good that's a nice tiebreaker. Cambridge does not seem to test very well based on the 100M but the extra digital inputs is a nice bonus.
Also, I tend to think anything with a SINAD over 100 is pretty much down to feature set and looks.

Fish17

Also, I tend to think anything with a SINAD over 100 is pretty much down to feature set and looks.
I didn't realize you have an X16 how are you liking it?

What made you go with the X16? What else was on your list I'd be curious about your process.

MBWORLDZ

Mine arrived few days ago, I was testing the unit for the whole weekend and found one problem about this DACmagic 200M, if you use it as an external DAC. I noticed that MQA playback is unstable when the MQA passthrough is enabled. Songs constantly drop and stutter. I have tried all the MQA albums, everytime when I hit play on the song, music plays but the MQA will not trigged instantly. It takes like 1 sec or 2 secs for the MQA to engaged. The MQA light and sampling rate will not light up till 1 sec or 2 secs. I can also hear a small pop sound from speaker when switching from normal to MQA files. I am going to return it get a full refund. I guess this is too new and they haven't tested the unit completely. When you pay money for a product and I would expect MQA will work properly. At this point I am not perfectly happy.

When I have time , I will definitely video the problem and show you guys. I am about to contact Cambridge regarding this.

j^j=e^-pi/2

I've had mine for several days and have not noticed any issues with MQA playback. Using Audirvana. Instant MQA light.

I did notice that when MQA light goes on, the filter moves to "short delay" no matter where it was set before.

curiouspeter

I've had mine for several days and have not noticed any issues with MQA playback. Using Audirvana. Instant MQA light.

I did notice that when MQA light goes on, the filter moves to "short delay" no matter where it was set before.
I thought MQA mandates it's own filters. Perhaps this is why.

I would hate the relay clicking.

MBWORLDZ

Yes, once MQA light goes on, you can't change the filter. I guess you are using Audirvana, that is why you don't hear the click and delay issues. But they should have tested it before ship it out. People who buy this will end up return it.

Top Bottom