• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Calculating volume in a semi-open space

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I live in a townhouse with a semi-open ground floor, and I'm not sure how to calculate the volume which would be useful in selecting speakers. I'm looking at in-walls or on-walls because winter is approaching and the gas stove is likely to scorch my floorstanding speakers. The ceilings are 9.5 ft tall.

Here are two floor plans of the same space (one is flipped) which include dimensions. Would love advice and any speaker recommendations.
Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 9.37.01 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 9.31.41 AM.png

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
IMO - It's virtually impossible to "calculate".

Do you know how loud you want to go? Do you have an SPL meter?

Somewhere here there is a post about power & loudness requirements but I don't have the link saved... I'm sure someone else does...

I do have this link - How Loud Is Loud?

In a normal living room there won't be a lot of difference between 2 meters and any further distance in the room. So you could take the sensitivity spec* for the speakers* and subtract 6dB for double the distance (which is pessimistic in an enclosed room) and there are (at least) 2 speakers so that's +3dB.

Strong-deep bass will give the impression of more power & loudness but our ears are less sensitive to bass, and speakers tend to be less efficient in the low range so it also requires more power (and bigger speakers/woofers) to get the same (A-weighted) SPL level.

* If you don't already know this, speaker sensitivity is measured at 1W and 1 meter. And every doubling of the power is +3dB or 10 times the power is +10dB.

Pareto Pragmatic

I would suggest using your LR+DR as the space for calculating. That's where you likely want to play to. You don't want to play to the kitchen, or upstairs (even if upstairs is open to the first floor, you don't care about that I assume.)

At a guess for higher SPLs, you will get -10dB in the kitchen, and likely at the top(?) of the stairs, relative to the sofa. I have a similar first floor space, and layout, including ceiling height and stairs to the second floor, and that's how things work out for me (but with a very different speaker placement in the space than you.)

I have no suggestions for in wall or on wall speakers, as I have never considered them for even a second. But personally, I plan on getting some stand mounts with 6.5" drivers for my space, as I find 5" drivers to be not quite enough when I break them out. Good for listening in a triangle, not for space filling sound.

That's what my FrankenHeresies are for.

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I would suggest using your LR+DR as the space for calculating. That's where you likely want to play to. You don't want to play to the kitchen, or upstairs (even if upstairs is open to the first floor, you don't care about that I assume.)

At a guess for higher SPLs, you will get -10dB in the kitchen, and likely at the top(?) of the stairs, relative to the sofa. I have a similar first floor space, and layout, including ceiling height and stairs to the second floor, and that's how things work out for me (but with a very different speaker placement in the space than you.)

I have no suggestions for in wall or on wall speakers, as I have never considered them for even a second. But personally, I plan on getting some stand mounts with 6.5" drivers for my space, as I find 5" drivers to be not quite enough when I break them out. Good for listening in a triangle, not for space filling sound.

That's what my FrankenHeresies are for.

Ah okay, so just focus on this area (or volume). I do have an SPL meter. Do I just set it to C-weighted and play some music as loud as I generally listen?
1697644964988.png

Pareto Pragmatic

Ah okay, so just focus on this area (or volume). I do have an SPL meter. Do I just set it to C-weighted and play some music as loud as I generally listen?

Why not Z weighted for this? Do you have that option?

I thought you were looking to select/eliminate options from speaker specs based on volume, not use a reference measurement. But yes, play music as loud as you ever will. That's where you want to be at with your new speakers. For me, I generally go 80 with 85 peaks, but occasionally 95 peaks (for short periods of time). I would want my speakers to be able to play 100dB at my main listening spot without going crazy. Once you set your target SPL, then you can eliminate options that won't give you that level in your space.

While you are measuring, check your levels by walking around. Any smooth changes, consider that part of the room. If you get a steeper drop (like through the kitchen door, or bottom to top of stairs) that marks the boundary of the main space. When you walk into my space, the back porch is like the back hallway of a club (sound wise), the kitchen is like the bar, and the LR+DR is like the main stage venue. There's a clear pressure gradient for each doorway that you can feel. And measure, for sure.

Top Bottom