• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CAD suggestions

JohnnyAudio

Can someone suggest a CAD program for simple designs and use?

I would like to be able to sketch up speaker boxes, Hi-Fi equipment stands and simple mechanical designs.

3D would be nice but not necessary. Solid works is good but too complicated for me. Low cost is wonderful.

Thanks.

No. 5

NanoCAD has a free option and it's 2D, the user experience is very close to AutoCAD.

If you are familiar with SolidWorks, they have very cheap prices for single user, non commercial use, if you contact a reseller.

OnShape is 3D and has a free option and has almost no learning curve if you have used SolidWorks at all.

I have tried FreeCAD, but haven't committed myself to actually learning it yet. The UI seems a bit different than what I'm used to.

RandomEar

I'd recommend to check out this recent video by MakersMuse:

I'm personally using FreeCAD, because I like to suffer. The UI is inconsistent and unintuitive and basic functions don't work reliably. But it is free, open source and seems to be improving slowly. In it's current state, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, though.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fusion360 is free for personal use

dcibel

Fusion360 as well as Onshape are both "free", however require an account and Internet connection to use at all, and you don't truly own anything you design. Of the two I would recommend Onshape for simple speaker stuff and ease of use.

I use FreeCAD personally, it's properly free however takes a bit of getting used to, it has many features and is very powerful when you get into the weeds, so you need to focus only in the few tools needed to do your task. With a bit of learning and working around it's quirks it is accomplishing everything I need.

For a cheap paid option I would look at Alibre. It's cost is low enough and has a one time lifetime purchase option, however feature set is a bit limited. For basic hobby work though I think you'll find it quite capable.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

Thank you all!
A super simple CAD that can do basic frame assemblies would be perfect.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can drafting software be integrated with CAD/CAM and what software offers good to better integration? Is this standard stuff now? Can one home brew and setup a CAD/CAM station with multi-axis from a drafting program? Does one want this part of the drafting suite file extension repertoire?

dcibel

FreeCAD and Fusion360 have CAM functions built-in. Onshape will have CAM function "soon":

I use FreeCAD path workbench with GRBL output to a hobby CNC machine. it works well, milling a waveguide can be quite satisfying:
PXL_20240409_024021836.jpg

Alternative is to export your model to dedicated software like Vectric, or Kiri:Moto.

Top Bottom