• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable management (NOT a "which fancy cable" thread)

Todd k

Forum Donor
what u talking about Willis? My cables all get along fabulously. Amazing that this rat nest is dead silent.

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpeg
    IMG_0137.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 138

LuckyLyndy

Todd k,
That takes a special kind of mind with that spatial setup.
I have something similar behind my home theater, but I want it a 'bit' cleaner in the adjoining living room.
Of course, if I wanted that, I would dig out my old Sherwood, or Technics A/V receivers, that do have decent phono stages, keeping the shelf clean and simple.
But darn it, Amir scratched the HiFi itch, and reviewed the ART DJ Pre. I thought I had that in my attic, but it was their DAC with Tube model. I had to order a new power supply, and then ordered the ART phono pre, and down the audio rabbit hole I did tumble.

Todd k

Forum Donor
Todd k,
That takes a special kind of mind with that spatial setup.
I have something similar behind my home theater, but I want it a 'bit' cleaner in the adjoining living room.
Of course, if I wanted that, I would dig out my old Sherwood, or Technics A/V receivers, that do have decent phono stages, keeping the shelf clean and simple.
But darn it, Amir scratched the HiFi itch, and reviewed the ART DJ Pre. I thought I had that in my attic, but it was their DAC with Tube model. I had to order a new power supply, and then ordered the ART phono pre, and down the audio rabbit hole I did tumble.
Well the front is at least somewhat presentable. This was my old fireplace, but since I live in the Deep South with oppressive heat an humidity I get much better use of the space as an equipment closet. Having a back door for access let’s my cables behave badly, albeit quietly.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 104

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That says it all to me. When Amir says he is still working on his cable management that's a sign that worries about cable organization more about house cleaning than better sound.
I agree but only upto a point: There is a hidden conflict between those chores.
When done properly; cable organization only needs to be done once -- set-it-and-forget-it -- and can be very productive for the future.
Whereas [expletive deleted] house-cleaning never ends -- get-up-and-do-it-again-amen -- and no-one gives a hoot how OCD you may have become.:confused:

@recycle photo above may be an overkill for home installations, but I'd hire that neat-installation mastermind ... and give him stock-options!

Todd k

Forum Donor
I agree but only upto a point: There is a hidden conflict between those chores.
When done properly; cable organization only needs to be done once -- set-it-and-forget-it -- and can be very productive for the future.
Whereas [expletive deleted] house-cleaning never ends -- get-up-and-do-it-again-amen -- and no-one gives a hoot how OCD you may have become.:confused:

@recycle photo above may be an overkill for home installations, but I'd hire that neat-installation mastermind ... and give him stock-options!
That looks like like the quantum tunneled electrons are way too harmoniuos in that ocd cable configuration to give a real cable free run, I learned this audio BS before I found ASR. i know my closet backside looks horrible but it really is dead silent. I feel very fortunate all my cables dig each other.

henologist

I picked up a box of reusable cable ties for this purpose and they've been great. They're easier to get a tight fit with than hook/loop ties while collecting much less hair and dust, though I tend to use them in less visible areas so I can leave them uncut.

wadude

Cable management is more of an issue for TV than hifi in my case. The TV is on a rolling cabinet and there are source and power cables that need to move along with it for house cleaning and viewing purposes. This mostly has to do with cable length. SF Cables was a good source for finding cables of the appropriate length. The hifi setup is much more simple, a source, an amp and a couple of speakers, 5 wires total. Oops, actually 7. Even though it's all in plain sight, for no good reason I value the "industrial art" aspect of floppy cables in that situation. Only one power cord is coiled and I used a Ghentaudio freebie velcro tie for that.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cable management is more of an issue for TV than hifi in my case.
Consider yourself lucky!
My cable-management efforts must be mostly done blind!:cool:
All my audio, video and HTPC hardware are stuffed inside of a 600pound entertainment cabinet, w/a lift-system that hides the TV on the backside.
What makes this immovable object a nightmare is that there is absolutely zero access to its backside and rear panels of any of the hardware.
What makes that cabinet a delight is the undeniable fact that it's got 100% WAF. Even the 12awg bi-wired speaker cables are camo!

LuvTheMusic

Attaching small color-coded labels to cables works nicely. Unless you have a cat that gnaws on small bits of paper or plastic attached to cables. No need to ask me how I know this.....

Tatr76

Attaching small color-coded labels to cables works nicely. Unless you have a cat that gnaws on small bits of paper or plastic attached to cables. No need to ask me how I know this.....
Mine plays too. Even worse looked after my nieces free roam rabbit for a couple of years who just ate wires as if it was an Olympic sport

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Godataloss

I use that, or the wrinkly-wall stuff that looks like an intestine.
I don't like that stuff. I find the snugness of the cable wrap very satisfying plus you can allow wires out of the 'loom' without cutting a hole. Of course this inevitably leads to me running all the wires together in a fit of OCD only to curse myself when I need to change something.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both varieties do come in different colors and different diameters.
I've used a brown-color version of these "Expandable Braided Sleeving" on my 12awg speaker cables.
202311_SleevingExpandableBraid.jpg

I feel they allow the flow of music w/less resistance in the cables because of their WAF and/or Feng-Shui effect.:facepalm:
Our cat Spooks must not find this sleeving tasty-enough.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like that stuff. I find the snugness of the cable wrap very satisfying plus you can allow wires out of the 'loom' without cutting a hole. Of course this inevitably leads to me running all the wires together in a fit of OCD only to curse myself when I need to change something.
The intestine stuff is tough as nails though, so nice if wires get stepped on etc.

Top Bottom