• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable management (NOT a "which fancy cable" thread)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I have an 8 channel system with the DAC positioned about 5m away from the amplifiers. I therefore have at least 8 long interconnect cables that runs from the rack to the amps which are next to the speakers. In reality there are more, because power has to run from the power point in the front of the room, there's also cables for the TV, and so on. So maybe 12-15 cables to run. In the past I tried to shove this into the corner, but even this was too messy.

So I went to the local hardware store and bought this:

5b15f8e078f843388818f3482030dd0a

It is corrugated nylon air conditioning conduit. In reality your hardware store will sell all sorts of conduits, PVC for plumbing, even cable conduits. However those cable conduits were not suitable for me because they are rather small, and designed to run maybe 2-3 cables only. Before you go shopping, bundle your cables together to get an estimate of how much diameter you will need.

As you can see, the A/C conduit comes in sections with one male and one female end. You may even be able to find accessories and conduits of various lengths.

Stuffing the cable through the conduit is difficult. As more cables go in, the available diameter decreases and it gets harder. I had to use a long rod to get the cables through. Tape the end of your cable to the rod, then push the rod through the conduit. Do this in sections, then join the conduit sections together when you are done. If need be, you can paint or wrap the conduit to help make it visually less prominent.

There are many other options:

- Spiral cable wraps.
- Flat conduits that can go under your rug. For this to work, you need thick rug underlay to raise your rug and make the bulge from the conduit less prominent.
- Cable ties, either nylon or velcro. I don't like these because your cables are still visible.
- Cable boxes, for storing bunched up cables.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have a little obsession about real world conditions measurements so I have measured everything as-is,on their places on the rack,the rat nest as you say to the back (active system with 4-5 sources,go figure).
Yes,sometimes there are big interferences but is easy to fix by grouping them with sanity,twist the ones that must be twisted,etc.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Quick example:

1674816311035.png

Sanely put

1674816410061.png

NOT sanely put

1674817197685.png

...and an overlay for better comparison

(the not sanely placement is just the USB cable crossing a power cable)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does everything have to be 'managed'? It's those darn suit & ties. Can't leave anyone or anything alone.
Because they can sell you stuff, of course.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One that helps a lot here is buying shorter cables, including AC mains. These cables are so thick and unwieldly. Even coiled up they are a pain. I found cheap, color coded short AC cables on Amazon which I use to organize my network rack. Worked like a charm. Plan to do the same for XLR cables for my AV rack next.
Just checking: "helps a lot"? Is that in terms of tidiness and organisation (which makes sense) or are there actual benefits?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One that helps a lot here is buying shorter cables, including AC mains. These cables are so thick and unwieldly. Even coiled up they are a pain. I found cheap, color coded short AC cables on Amazon which I use to organize my network rack. Worked like a charm. Plan to do the same for XLR cables for my AV rack next.
I did that with my rack to reduce the insane clutter. I wish I could say the veils were lifted and the angels sang to me, but at least it worked afterwards.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was possibly born, raised and bred as a 'file nerd'!:facepalm:
As such, I am saddened that no one has yet recommended labeling EVERY cable and on BOTH connectors' ends, with the "To:" (destination) information.
For extra credits (and especially if your A/V system is complex), you can always sketch/draw a system-wide interconnection diagram, which should also includes your primary (AC/DC) power and network/wireless connectivity... over-and-above your AV cables.

LuckyLyndy

I'm in the same boat as the original OP. This is on a dual shelf in my living room stereo.
I am trying to 'hide' all the many wires, forget the interconnects, this is all power cables.
So, there is a wall wart, or plug for all of this:
Turntable Power Plug
Phono Pre (wall wart)
DAC (wall wart) and Adapter (wall wart)
A/V Receiver Power Plug
CD Player Power Plug
I'm currently using two surge protector strips, but some of those wall warts are blocking outlets next to them.
A friend suggested this octopus, but that looks even more unwieldy.
https://www.amazon.com/Listed-Miady-Short-Extension-Outlet/dp/B07H9MCTGL?th=1#

LuckyLyndy

Thanks for the good laugh!
Mine is not that bad, but I feel like that.
Oh, to have a quality rack, on solid coasters, and be able to wheel it out and have a good view of connections, rather than a headlamp, and squeezing in to look at ports.
Workin' in a coal mine...

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with zip ties as shown in the photo above is that if you need to add a cable or change a cable you have 50 zip ties to cut and then reinstall. I prefer using velcro cable ties. You can control your bundles and tie to the rack just as you do with zip ties, but you can make changes much more easily.

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 9.16.32 AM.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Advice I'v always seen is simply route power away in one direction... hopefully all AC in are on the same side of your equipment which makes this easy... but this is not standardized so sometimes the AC will have to cross signal cables.
If able to do that, then route all signal cables to the other side.

My own partial attempts were to route AC to the left (when facing the equipment from the front) and down... then all signal cables to the right and up just to prevent close parallel runs of power and signal cables as much as possible.

This still doesn't prevent every instance of close or parallel runs as I have some Speaker and Subwoofer cable routed right past a Power Strip for my Amps. Unavoidable without more extreme measures like running a raceway along the wall about 1-2 feet off the floor. ;) FWIW, I've had no audible distortion on that side of the room so clearly it's not that problematic (at least in my room). :)

Velcro cable ties, labels, and perhaps color coding are your friends. Follow best practices where you can. If you can't, then hopefully it doesn't matter as is the situation with me! :D

I wouldn't spend additional funds on shielded power cables or anything else unless it was an absolute last attempt at winning over a true problem that is affecting your situation audibly.

LuckyLyndy

Good ideas! How does one post photos? My Yahoo photo storage was shut down. I do have a Google Pixel 7. Can I save photos onto the Drive, and then post that here? I think a photo would explain my situation.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good ideas! How does one post photos? My Yahoo photo storage was shut down. I do have a Google Pixel 7. Can I save photos onto the Drive, and then post that here? I think a photo would explain my situation.
On a desktop PC (not necessarily on your gPixel7) -- if you know the depository where your 'photos' are located -- you can press RED-circled button, as shown on the screen capture:
202305_ASRinsertImage2do2.jpg

I don't know if this is what you are asking about...

LuckyLyndy

On a desktop PC (not necessarily on your gPixel7) -- if you know the depository where your 'photos' are located -- you can press RED-circled button, as shown on the screen capture:
View attachment 286119
I don't know if this is what you are asking about...
pseudoid,
I'm getting it! I just need to take a better photo of the living room corner area. Thanks!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plan to do the same for XLR cables for my AV rack next.
That says it all to me. When Amir says he is still working on his cable management that's a sign that worries about cable organization more about house cleaning than better sound.

LuckyLyndy

I took a photo, and was so embarrassed, I will work on things tomorrow, and post. It is a sad, sad photo.:rolleyes:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, I've gradually been trying to do better thusly:
> Cables as short as possible (get rid of
coiled cables that are too long)
> Separate power and signal cables,
cross at right angles
> Shielded power cables, shield to ground

You summed up the age-long best practices nicely. Whether they are even necessary for SQ is another question.

I always make all my cabling as neat looking as I can. But I also never forget that, inevitably-eventually, you'll have to re-cable something. So I do tolerate the inevitable disconnect between perfect looks and practicality.

As to "ground", it is a relative reference.

Top Bottom