• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying new headphones, please advise

Bob-23

Thank you for all the suggestions and for your time. I appreciate it.

Meze look beautiful, I also heard they play well and I would love to have them, but they are too expensive for me at this moment, but only because I went over the top and ordered a bunch of other things.

My idea was to sell the old ones and add as little as possible for an upgrade. I believe I succeeded. I almost didn't have to add any extra money and got these BD990 second hand. Comfortable as they get. They are slightly brighter, but to me, after having a rather bright pair for years, they sound very good.

Drop, as I recently learned, can sometimes be good for EU as well, but not for a HD600 pair, they cost a lot to begin with.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Beyerdynamic DT990 (Old Earpads).pdf
    310.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Beyerdynamic DT990 (new earpads).pdf
    315 KB · Views: 228
OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I don't know what that means, but I like them.
:D:D:D
I know what you mean. I will admit I'm thinking of a second pair. People are saying there are these Sony headphones that are unbelievable for the money:
1606658736028.png

Sony MDR 7506

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sold my beloved Grado and am now looking for a new pair.

Budget is 150$. I'm looking for over-ear headphones. I really dislike most of the new features and most of what connects headphones and smartphones.

The reason I'm saying this is to help you help me! :p

I'm only interested in the sound and driver quality. I don't need to pick up calls, no mic, no gaming, nothing.

I just want them to be capable of truly neutral and faithful reproduction. I always go for neutral equipment, I like it, but I also listen to some EDM so I don't want them to add bass, but when there's bass I want them to confidently play that bass.

If you know of a good noise cancelling model for the money, recommend it, but it’s not a must.

If you know of a good wireless model for the money, again, it’s not a dealbreaker, but I could go for them.

BUt any ol' classic - two cans and a piece of cable will work. I just want as good a driver as I can get.

What do you think are the best performing music only headphones for 150$ (and a few bucks over that)?
As a Headphone Harman Curve lover, and having tried Harman Curve EQ's on 3 different headphones I'd recommend AKG K702 using my Harman Curve EQ I created, to me they sound more like speakers than headphones and retain the same detail levels of the Sennheisser HD600 whilst providing cleaner bass, this is my end journey for a headphone (I like it that much):
K702 Innerfidelity Downloaded Harman Target.jpg

I prefer it over Sennheisser HD600 and also over NAD HP50.

My recommendation is only relevant if you know you like the sound of the Headphone Harman Curve and are going to be EQ'ing your headphones. If you're not gonna EQ your headphones and you still know you like the Headphone Harman Curve then get the AKG K371 or the Sennheisser HD600 (because they both match the curve closely) - get the K371 if bass is more important to you, and get the HD600 if vocals are more important to you. (HD600 a bit outside your budget though I think).

Top Bottom