• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buy a new preamp

OP
B

bartgign

The Gustard is all you need, no other preamp unless you have analog sources you want to connect.

If you wanted the connection to your DCX2496 to be digital to avoid an extra AD/DA stage, you could get something like the miniDSP SHD Studio. It has variable AES/EBU outputs and would give you Dirac room correction.

thanks for the advice, i will test only with the Gustard when it will be at home, middle of december i Hope.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For USB only based solution a soundcard with digital output is all you need, with volume controlled by the PC. However I would prefer a separate volume control to prevent blowing the speakers if the software goes crazy and sets volume to max.

Question to the experts: Is there no USB soundcard on the market with volume controlled digital output?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the advice, i will test only with the Gustard when it will be at home, middle of december i Hope. But with a pre amp i can have the TV sound on the system, and it will be a good option to watch moovies.

You can use the Toslink out and put it in your "Freebox" (that you surely have) and control the volume and get the sound via your speakers.

ALL that with just a Dac !

Feanor

Forum Donor
I very pleased with my Freya + which I use most often in 'Passive' mode.

The Freya + is driven by my Topping D90 which as the uhmph to drive my amp, a VTV Purifi, with adequate gain and dynamics without resorting to the solid state unity gain 'Buffer' mode.

'Tube' mode is nice with certain sorts of music. I like it with Jazz and some popular genres, however I mostly listen to Classical music and find the usually 'Passive' delivers the best transparency.

OP
B

bartgign

For USB only based solution a soundcard with digital output is all you need, with volume controlled by the PC. However I would prefer a separate volume control to prevent blowing the speakers if the software goes crazy and sets volume to max.

Question to the experts: Is there no USB soundcard on the market with volume controlled digital output?

Any advices about this question, i think it's all i need ?!

Thanks !

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not an improvment to add a good preamp ?

you can improve control functionality and/or esthetics - search up the control functionality thread I started fro some ideas

if - and today it is a big if - your existing pre-amp or stage is a poor performer then you could increase SQ, but not likely

Top Bottom