• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Building Vinyl collection from now? What do you think? (Classical/Jazz Music)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lastly, it’s sad to hear the situation. I thought that the Europe situation is better than the states.
When I search LPs on Discogs, there are way more Classical LPs with Euro Price tags.
I have no interest in buying more LPs so my searching is done from time to time in local charity shops. No longer cheap or very much choice.
Discogs seems to be more aimed at the collector market than the music lover.
I was amazed how much some of my LPs seem to be worth when I once looked on there!

I consider CD to contain all audible music, in both frequency and amplitude, so high res is just a ripoff unless it is a better mix and LPs and tape are just worse. The only bad things about CD IMHO are the stupidly designed jewel case and the small artwork.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't find classical LPs to be as fun to listen to as other genres.

Jazz/pop/rock, as genres, evolved coincidentally with recorded music.

The 'album' as a set of short-medium duration songs suits LP just fine. Even when mid- to late-era LPs started making concept albums, Side A and Side B are artistically compiled with the flip as an intermission.

This isn't true for classical, and I find it disruptive.

Also, the end of side increased distortion inherent in LPs coincides badly with classical end of movement crescendos.

But, sure, if you just want to have fun and collect LPs, classical is fine.

I just get enough 'LP fun' by collecting the genres that LP is better suited for.

Also, classical album art usually sucks. ;)

You don't get stuff like this in the classical world:

68e92960bd74e2cb860284823f0ddf2f.jpg
Correct, though you do get LPs like this:

THE_BOSTON_SYMPHONY_ORCHESTRA_SCRIABIN_+POEM+OF+ECSTASY+TCHAIKOVSKY_+ROMEO+AND+JULIET-644584.jpg
planets.jpg
download.jpg
rheingold.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yeah, but those Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence LPs are in the upper echelon of LP prices.

No bargains there.
I know, even back in the 1980s there were copies of Reiner and Dorati LPs going for $300 a pop via international auctions at "Recollections" in Berkeley.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well, to be fair, I'm paying $450 an album for Reiner on 15 IPS tape.

But it's better quality.
I'll bet the SACD is better sounding.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'll bet the SACD is better sounding.

I wouldn't know.

I got rid of my SACD player a decade ago.

If I want the digital version, I just play the FLAC.

The FLAC and the R2R sound really close, which shouldn't be too surprising given they're copies from the same master.

You get tape compression either way, given the original source.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Holst as Barbarella?

That's hilarious.
One of, I guess, five "Planets" directed by Sir Adrian Boult. Good performance, decent sound, Pye sourced as I recall. But the two later re-makes for EMI are superior, the last recording being of exceptional sound quality.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
One of, I guess, five "Planets" directed by Sir Adrian Boult. Good performance, decent sound, Pye sourced as I recall. But the two later re-makes for EMI are superior, the last recording being of exceptional sound quality.

I prefer the Zubin Mehta version.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
In the 80’s I did with Cassette. I should have done with LPs. Btw after brief search I’m surprised at so called Vinyl revival, especially Jazz section.
Vinyl prices are so high and demands are so strong. Discogs secondhand prices are precisely market adjusted.
Yea I have a ton load of cassette too,haven't played those in year's

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I don't know if cassettes will ever become as collectible as LPs -- they don't age as well, materially.

Aside from getting worn out, pre-1977 cassettes can have binder issues.
I know that's why I haven't played them,but I'm curious now,think when I get a chance I'll take the cassette player apart an clean it and sees what happens.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the new year 2021, one of things that I’m considering is what if I start to collect LP and have little collection?

Personally, for pop music, I will go with streaming. But classics, Idagio and others seems to have a long way to go.
I’ve read articles about LP sales more than CD, the future is LP vs Streaming etc - still I think most of them are about popular music genre.

I would like to try LP as kind of musical ritual for my listening pleasure.

My question is, how about the industry trend? I’m out of the touch for a few years especially after having kids.
For classic/jazz fans, I’d like to ask advice there is also reasonably bright future (though niche) on LP sector.

Does Iabels such as Detusche Grammophon seem like to keep making LPs? How about other labels?
Where do you usually shop for LPs? Classical / Jazz music

Thank you.

PS one of my funny thinking is after I see; LP market went down -> become premium thing / Cassette Tape went down -> become premium thing,
what if CD becomes next junk -> selling with premium thing? (As the digital source for classical music) :)

I'm one of the more fervent vinyl enthusiasts around here, so I can give my perspective. Ultimately though of course our criteria will be different so whatever turns my crank may not turn yours.

Yes, vinyl is still going gangbusters in terms of new stuff being churned out, re-releases, and of course record shops and on-line sales.
(I have something like 7 record shops in walkable/bikable distance from me, in my city).

I'll just recount my experience in case it's of any worth to you, since you seem to have some of the thoughts I do about vinyl:

Though I listened almost entirely to digital sources since dumping LPs in the late 80's, I got back in to vinyl 3 or 4 years ago when I saw how much new stuff was being produced. As a soundtrack fan, the soundtrack releases were spectacular, in terms of the artwork, aesthetics, packaging, re-releases and new releases, and even the sound quality. Getting beautiful new vinyl for me revitalized the vinyl experience: made the objects feel new, rather than creased, crackly, dusty objects you have in a box in the closet, or finger through at some old record shop.

And I've found that an excellent turntable/cartridge produced sound that, to me, is often as satisfying or more than my digital source. (Sounds a bit different, in a way I actually like, but also can be spectacular in audiophile ways as well).

I get the "wanting to have fun" aspect you are going for. Having all my CDs ripped on a server combined with streaming had the perverse effect of devaluing it for me. With anything I wanted at my fingertips, available with a word to our smart speaker, a tap on my phone in the car, a swipe on my ipad in front of my hi-fi system, it actually made music feel so ubiquitous and easy, it cheapened the experience, comodotized it. And frankly, I was sick of interacting with computers and screens for Every Bloody Thing All Day Long. Going all analog for music listening has allowed me to unplug form digital life, like reading a real book on the sofa. And the physical elements of vinyl, including using my turntable, I find deeply rewarding. Like many others have found (though maybe not on this forum so much) the physicality of vinyl changes my listening experience, makes it more fun, and focuses me more easily on listening. Where on my digital streaming I may get through a song or two, with vinyl I almost always sit through at least a whole side, usually a whole album.

Anyway...as to what's available.

I have a wide variety of genres in my collection, but I have a real soft spot for film scores, so lots of scores on vinyl. That would include everything form electronic scores to John Williams and other symphonic film music (I'm a huge Bernard Herrmann fan!). Unlike others here, I adore classical-style music on vinyl. There can be a pleasing apparent texture and density in the vinyl that I sometimes miss when listening to digital.
But the capacity to ignore the nuisances of vinyl, especially for classical, will of course vary among individuals.

I have a ton of classical on vinyl I've inherited from other people's collections, my father, friends. But I also sometimes buy newly released vinyl.
If you want old vinyl classical, you'll be able to find plenty. And you'll have to put up with whatever sonic defects you get. But it seems you aren't caring too much about those issues. If you were more focused on buying NEWLY produced vinyl, then classical would be the wrong genre.
Outside soundtracks, not much being produced on vinyl.

That said, I bought some recently. This one:

https://www.discogs.com/Gustav-Hols...rmonic-Orchestra-The-Planets/release/16136086

Also available digitally:

https://editfuturum.bandcamp.com/album/the-planets

This was just bloody SPECTACULAR on vinyl! Blew my socks off in terms of sonic clarity, dynamics, and the sense of an orchestra playing in front of me. I'll likely pick up some other classical LPs from those new releases.

Front Row

Hifiwise, I wouldn't switch to LP. But if you like the ritual - it's a matter of personal preference: more hifi vs 'more' ritual...
ECM (Edition Contemporary Music) is generally a good adress for high quality recordings - their Jazz CDs are usually great.
I agree. I have thousands of records and none of them sound like my cds. I have a good preamp, MC and an ultrasonic record cleaner. Records are a pain compared to cds. Once this record fad expires, you will be glad you saved your money especially on the 180 gram vinyl. https://www.psaudio.com/article/are-180-gram-vinyl-records-really-better/

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally couldn't imagine today starting over again with vinyl at all, but I grew up with no other choice really, but I was glad to relieve myself of the fussing with it when digital came along. I don't see fussing with it as entertaining. I do have a sizeable collection and tt still, but rarely use them.

Top Bottom