• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget wired in-ears for small ear canal

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I was looking for some budget in-ears and the first option I spotted was Truthear x Crinacle ZERO: RED. Those are about the maximum I would like to spend, but they are quite bulky and it looks like the ear-canal tubes are also pretty wide. I've had issues before with in-ears not fitting well, even with small tips on them, so I'm skipping the ZERO RED. Does any-one know of any good in-ears that have small ear canal tubes with a maximum price of lets say $60/€50? I would only use them when headphones are unwieldy, like hot weather or when wearing a cap.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking for some budget in-ears and the first option I spotted was Truthear x Crinacle ZERO: RED. Those are about the maximum I would like to spend, but they are quite bulky and it looks like the ear-canal tubes are also pretty wide. I've had issues before with in-ears not fitting well, even with small tips on them, so I'm skipping the ZERO RED. Does any-one know of any good in-ears that have small ear canal tubes with a maximum price of lets say $60/€50? I would only use them when headphones are unwieldy, like hot weather or when wearing a cap.
IME most of the value oriented (I'll over generalise and say Chinese but hopefully you'll get the point) stuff tends to have pretty wide nozzles. The narrowest I've seen are on etymotic and shure.

The ety design is one for deep insertion is not for everyone. You could get the er2se /xr for roughly your price range if in the US. They have their fans but definitely not Harman compliant without plenty of eq.

Not sure what if anything shure has in that price range. Their tunings can be wonky too.

Hopefully someone will chime in with better ideas!

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
IME most of the value oriented (I'll over generalise and say Chinese but hopefully you'll get the point) stuff tends to have pretty wide nozzles. The narrowest I've seen are on etymotic and shure.

The ety design is one for deep insertion is not for everyone. You could get the er2se /xr for roughly your price range if in the US. They have their fans but definitely not Harman compliant without plenty of eq.

Not sure what if anything shure has in that price range. Their tunings can be wonky too.

Hopefully someone will chime in with better ideas!
The ER2SE is nearly €90 here, so not an option. I don't care what brand it is, as long as it fits. The only reference I have is Hifiman RE400's, which I had years ago, but I could never make them fit. I tried so many different tips, but none of them worked.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The ER2SE is nearly €90 here, so not an option. I don't care what brand it is, as long as it fits. The only reference I have is Hifiman RE400's, which I had years ago, but I could never make them fit.
Worth pointing out that the Zero nozzle is about as big as they get but not sure how small you'd have to go to work for you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another suggestion, see if Google will help you find which makes /models will take comply t100 tips. They are for narrow nozzle types like shure and ety 3mm.

A quick look only revealed the above brands but delving deeper into the murky depths of reddit and headfi might provide some suggestions.

Michou

Look at the Final Audio E Series, E2000, E3000, E4000, they worked tor me.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Look at the Final Audio E Series, E2000, E3000, E4000, they worked tor me.
You had the same issue? Are all of these the same size? I might try the E500/1000 first to see how they fit.

Michou

You had the same issue? Are all of these the same size? I might try the E500/1000 first to see how they fit.
They fit all the same. The price of the 500, 1000 or 2000 is very similar. The E3000 has the best quality/price ratio but really needs an amp to shine. They all come with good silicone eartips, it's just a matter of finding the right size for you and insterting them as instructed.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
They fit all the same. The price of the 500, 1000 or 2000 is very similar. The E3000 has the best quality/price ratio but really needs an amp to shine. They all come with good silicone eartips, it's just a matter of finding the right size for you and insterting them as instructed.
I only have a basic dongle from Meizu and no plans to upgrade from that. Its really meant for when I can't use headphones.

markanini

Major Contributor
Are you using EQ? Moondrop Lan has smaller nozzles and a tuning that beats TE Red IMO:
1692542872700.png

Review thread on ASR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/moondrop-lan-review.45096/

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor

markanini

Major Contributor
I can EQ with wavelet yes
Then Lan can be a good all-rounder, similar to Red but different flavor. With EQ I prefer it's sound over Red and other budget sets I've tried, Chu, Hola, 7Hz Zero, Cadenza. Probably even competitive to above $80 sets like Aria and Hana due to some premium internals revealed by teardown:

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
But nobody actually measures this stuff? Seems like IEM reviews still aren't very comprehensive :(.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than Red, 7Hz Salnotes Zero is excellent and compact.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Other than Red, 7Hz Salnotes Zero is excellent and compact.
Not really, I'm reading it has 6.3mm nozzles. Which is fucking huge.

MarsianC#

Are you using EQ? Moondrop Lan has smaller nozzles and a tuning that beats TE Red IMO:
I really need a list with nozzles diameter. Got a value of the LAN for me?

Found a small list:

• Moondrop Kato - 5.0
  • Moondrop Chu - 5.0
  • Final E-series (E2000, E5000) - 4.4
  • Final A4000 - 4.6
  • Fake Final E3000 - 4.4
  • Fake Final E4000 - 5.0
  • Tripowin Olina / Olina SE - 4.9
  • Tanchjim Tanya - 5.0
  • Tin T2 Plus - 4.8
  • CCA CRA / CRA+ - 4.9
  • Tanchjim Oxygen - 4.9
  • KZ PR1/Pro / CCA PLA 13 - 4.7
  • Fake IE900 - 5.0 (same as the real one, but the fake is actually "budget" at $60-70, and actually pretty great)
  • Dunu Titan S - 5.0
  • Sony XBA-N3 - 4.8
  • KZ ZEX Pro / CRN - 4.6
  • KZ EDA Balanced - 4.6
  • Ikko OH10 - 4.8
  • Etymotic ER2XR - 3.0 (but I don't think this is a good idea due to the insertion depth)

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/10fcl9z
Measured by me:
  • Zero Red: 6.7 mm
  • Tin T2: 6 mm

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
I really need a list with nozzles diameter. Got a value of the LAN for me?

Found a small list:

• Moondrop Kato - 5.0
  • Moondrop Chu - 5.0
  • Final E-series (E2000, E5000) - 4.4
  • Final A4000 - 4.6
  • Fake Final E3000 - 4.4
  • Fake Final E4000 - 5.0
  • Tripowin Olina / Olina SE - 4.9
  • Tanchjim Tanya - 5.0
  • Tin T2 Plus - 4.8
  • CCA CRA / CRA+ - 4.9
  • Tanchjim Oxygen - 4.9
  • KZ PR1/Pro / CCA PLA 13 - 4.7
  • Fake IE900 - 5.0 (same as the real one, but the fake is actually "budget" at $60-70, and actually pretty great)
  • Dunu Titan S - 5.0
  • Sony XBA-N3 - 4.8
  • KZ ZEX Pro / CRN - 4.6
  • KZ EDA Balanced - 4.6
  • Ikko OH10 - 4.8
  • Etymotic ER2XR - 3.0 (but I don't think this is a good idea due to the insertion depth)

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/10fcl9z
Same as Chu. Also Lan might less good of an all-rounder compared to Truthear Red, but that's true for many sets compared to Red.

Top Bottom