• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Instead of Topping D30 which costs more, you could consider Topping D10 which costs the same. It is in a much nicer case, has a nice display, better format support, etc.

As to it sounding better or not, it is hard to do DAC comparisons because they don't have volume controls typically so it is harder to do a proper AB test. And subjective reports can be unreliable. I do listening comparisons for headphone amps/dacs with headphones because I can adjust volume there.

FM1

I've lately toned down my headphone/audio nerdism that peaked the past couple years, so I wasn't even aware the D10 existed. I have an old (no HDMI) nice Yamaha surround receiver I have no interest in replacing, so the D10 having SPDIF out is quite the nice feature since my computer setup uses both that and headphones and needs a motherboard with SPDIF out otherwise. (Or one of the cheap USB-to-SPDIF adapter DACs which I assume don't sound as good as I'd like).

I think the Asus Xonar ST DAC is very good, though I prefer my $25 chinese no-name bare-bones Sabre-based DAC to it, (basically trades the Xonar's fuller sound for a thinner, more separated sound). Both are better than something like Sound Blaster Z, though the Z isn't bad.

Anyway, it's hard to figure out how the UMC204HD and 202HD compare to other DACs in actual sound. Similar to the Massdrop Grace Design SDAC that the only comparison review I've seen is someone was disappointed it doesn't sound as good as his D30 or Sanskrit (I forget which). Though, credit to this thread since it's pretty much the only one I can think of ever seeing that even points out the 204HD could be used as a good-sounding headphone DAC.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Though, credit to this thread since it's pretty much the only one I can think of ever seeing that even points out the 204HD could be used as a good-sounding headphone DAC.
Oh, I did listen to the headphone output and was not happy with it. It is posted somewhere earlier in this thread. :) It just doesn't have much power and distorts easily.

FM1

I didn't mean as a powered headphone DAC/amp combo. Just as a DAC, to then connect to an amp. I've read a lot of reviews and threads on certain well-known headphone sites, and this is the only thread I can think of that points out there's (apparently) a quite nice DAC in this. I don't know if this is a better-sounding DAC than something like an ODAC, but it's nice to have options, especially if the cheaper 202HD sounds the same as the 204HD.

Dimitri

Oh, I did listen to the headphone output and was not happy with it. It is posted somewhere earlier in this thread. :) It just doesn't have much power and distorts easily.
It's true if you try to "blast it" it distorts. But usually don't need "blasting levels" when I use headphones. I'm not sure if I'm "happy" with it, or just "content". If I had to choose between thumbs up or thumbs down I'd choose thumbs up.

MrPassenki

Based on this topic I decided to buy the Behringer UMC204HD as a DAC between my PC and Marantz stereo amplifier. However, being the Noob on DACs that I am, I don't know how to connect it to my amplifier? I can't find any information on it and am afraid I will destroy my amp and this DAC.... Do you use the playback output 1 and 2 with RCA to AUX on the amp or do you need to use main out L and R with converters from jack to RCA and then connect the RCA to the amp there?
Thanks in advance!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Based on this topic I decided to buy the Behringer UMC204HD as a DAC between my PC and Marantz stereo amplifier. However, being the Noob on DACs that I am, I don't know how to connect it to my amplifier? I can't find any information on it and am afraid I will destroy my amp and this DAC.... Do you use the playback output 1 and 2 with RCA to AUX on the amp or do you need to use main out L and R with converters from jack to RCA and then connect the RCA to the amp there?
Thanks in advance!
Yes typically you will use the RCA output on the DAC to RCA input on the Amp.

MrPassenki

Yes typically you will use the RCA output on the DAC to RCA input on the Amp.
Yeah that's what I thought, but the playback outputs vs main out confuses me... So the be clear, I the playback 1 and 2 outputs on the Behringer go to the AUX on the amp? Like the image I've attached.
UMC204HD output.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that's what I thought, but the playback outputs vs main out confuses me... So the be clear, I the playback 1 and 2 outputs on the Behringer go to the AUX on the amp? Like the image I've attached.View attachment 13838

Yes :)

They will send exactly the same signal as the "main out". The only reason they are not called "main out" is that the Behringer is a pro-audio device and RCA is a consumer audio connection (which Behringer have decided to call "playback").

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a very confusing device to be sure when you include all the switches in the front and volume controls to boot. So don't feel bad about not figuring it out at first glance.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is a very confusing device to be sure when you include all the switches in the front and volume controls to boot. So don't feel bad about not figuring it out at first glance.

Also, the volume knob only works for the balanced Mains Out.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, the volume knob only works for the balanced Mains Out.

Correct as those for for direct monitoring. The other are line level outputs that are expected to be controlled, volume wise, by a downstream product.

It's a audio mastering interface, not a consumer, audio reproduction interface. So there is going to be a learning curve but it's increase in operational requirements are simply a symptom of the market it's geared toward.

You should see 128 channel mixing console some time...

DarkAudio

Hi,

After reading Amir review for the UMC204HD, I think it could be the perfect AI for my needs. I need a decent DAC for music/movies/gaming while also being able to record a XLR microphone at the same time for gaming and content creation.

If I understood how this unit works, I could use the front input XLR (input 1) for a microphone and use the front TRS output for my headphones. While Amir review doesn't show good result for the front TRS output, it could be a temporary solution for me. This unit could allow me to upgrade my headphone output at a later time using the "Playback Outputs A" to connect it to an headphone amp using RCA cables.

Here are my questions :

1. Do I understand correctly the capacity of this audio interface ?
2. Will using the XLR input at the same time as the DAC cause any output audio quality problems ?
3. Will the XLR input be added to the TRS output and the RCA output (I would prefer to not hear my own voice unless doing some monitoring test) ?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

After reading Amir review for the UMC204HD, I think it could be the perfect AI for my needs. I need a decent DAC for music/movies/gaming while also being able to record a XLR microphone at the same time for gaming and content creation.

If I understood how this unit works, I could use the front input XLR (input 1) for a microphone and use the front TRS output for my headphones. While Amir review doesn't show good result for the front TRS output, it could be a temporary solution for me. This unit could allow me to upgrade my headphone output at a later time using the "Playback Outputs A" to connect it to an headphone amp using RCA cables.

Here are my questions :

1. Do I understand correctly the capacity of this audio interface ?
2. Will using the XLR input at the same time as the DAC cause any output audio quality problems ?
3. Will the XLR input be added to the TRS output and the RCA output (I would prefer to not hear my own voice unless doing some monitoring test) ?

1. Yes, I believe so.
2. IIRC, the quality of the audio inputs was significantly worse than of the outputs on this unit. But I believe what you want to do would still work.
3. I believe you could mute the inputs in your computer settings when not in use, but I haven't actually used this unit.

You may also want to consider the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which seems to be only slightly more expensive, have most of the same features, and seems to not suffer from some of the quirks of the Behringer concerning input ADCs, headphone amp, and low max output.

I've never used either product though, so please take my comments as a suggestion rather than an authoritative recommendation :)

DarkAudio

Thank you for the reply.

Allow me to clarify my question #3. I am curious about what happen with the input signal when it is in use. If I talk into a microphone while listening to music on the computer, will it output both signal "mixed" or only the computer audio. I would like to use only this unit (or another unit that you recommend) to achieve a DAC/amp and a XLR microphone input at the same time while not hearing the XLR microphone in the output signal. I want only the computer to receive the input signal.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the reply.

Allow me to clarify my question #3. I am curious about what happen with the input signal when it is in use. If I talk into a microphone while listening to music on the computer, will it output both signal "mixed" or only the computer audio. I would like to use only this unit (or another unit that you recommend) to achieve a DAC/amp and a XLR microphone input at the same time while not hearing the XLR microphone in the output signal. I want only the computer to receive the input signal.

Ok, so you want to record via the mic input while playing back only the signal sent via USB from the computer.

This is possible with all ADC/DAC units I've used, and depends on the DAW (software) that you use rather than the hardware.

This is not to say 100% that it will work with the two units we're discussing, but I can't imagine it wouldn't.

Ecnob

Looking through this thread again, I noticed a lot of discussion about this unit having a pretty low output, however on the first page Jinjuku said,

"One thing to take away is that this is Pro-level output vs consumer. An amp with balanced inputs can be effectively driven to full power with the Behringers output then the noise level of the Behringer actually has the iFi beat floor wise across the full spectrum including 60Hz.

It's the benefit of balanced connections."

If this is true, then wouldn't the low output of the unit not matter as long as you're using a a headphone amp with a balanced input connected to the balanced outputs, which on this unit I believe is the 1/4inch main out ports? I don't feel like this is correct. As far as I understand, balanced vs unbalanced is just for noise issues for longer cable runs. Why would an amp with balanced inputs not be affected by this DAC's low output?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking through this thread again, I noticed a lot of discussion about this unit having a pretty low output, however on the first page Jinjuku said,

"One thing to take away is that this is Pro-level output vs consumer. An amp with balanced inputs can be effectively driven to full power with the Behringers output then the noise level of the Behringer actually has the iFi beat floor wise across the full spectrum including 60Hz.

It's the benefit of balanced connections."

If this is true, then wouldn't the low output of the unit not matter as long as you're using a a headphone amp with a balanced input connected to the balanced outputs, which on this unit I believe is the 1/4inch main out ports? I don't feel like this is correct. As far as I understand, balanced vs unbalanced is just for noise issues for longer cable runs. Why would an amp with balanced inputs not be affected by this DAC's low output?

I'm talking about two things:

Amp sensitivity and Balanced (CMNR) connectivity.

If an amp has a gain stage that can be driven to full power by +3dBu then you're golden.

Top Bottom