• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bose 901 Spinorama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Is anyone aware if the Bose 901 has ever been put on a spin-set? No Audiophile has some test data here but it's not anechoic by a long shot nor is it incorporated in to a spinorama set of data, which is exactly what I want to see. I'm just curious to see how something like this would measure not just on axis but namely how its DI would look as well as the Early Reflections break-out curves because of how the 901 was designed to fire sound to the rear of the speaker.

I realize they are old and there are various versions of these speakers. But, I would interested in seeing data if it's available (for any of the versions). Or, going out on a limb here... if anyone has a 901 VI (I think this is the last version) and the EQ box and would be willing to send it, I'd like to test it out. Just for fun.

I checked the usual for sale locations (facebook, craigslist, etc). There are some 901 VI's around me (a few hours' drive one-way) for sale that look like they're in good condition, but I don't want to spend $500+ on "curiosity".

Last edited:

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Grear idea, lets try a JBL 100, and AR 3a, if we can find loaners. A blast into the past.

I had AR LST's driven by Phase Linear power back in the day. Always wondered how low the 12" woofer actually went.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

Thanks. That's good to have. I was aware of the different contour curves. Figured if the opportunity presented itself for me to test them then I'd go with the most neutral setting and then the variants would all be *assumed* to be just a simple contour change from the baseline measurement.

Ericglo

Wow, I did a quick craigs search locally and found even higher prices.

I would think Harman has tested them. If not, then I would guess Floyd tested them at some point in the last fifty years.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grear idea, lets try a JBL 100, and AR 3a, if we can find loaners. A blast into the past.

I had AR LST's driven by Phase Linear power back in the day. Always wondered how low the 12" woofer actually went.
I can't speak to AR3 production--I know there was a big change between the 3 and 3a essentially making them two different loudspeakers.

JBL made at least four versions of the L100, to include not only driver placement on the baffle but crossover and phase changes in the drivers. However my impression is that they all had the same or at least similar 'sonic signature'. I own a 'late' Version 4 pair purchased in or around 1977. I've kept them for years, lugging them to wherever I happened to be.

Troels Gravesen has some measurements and modification that no doubt make it a 'better' speaker. But then you don't have an L100. I don't see the point, really. Apart from the desire to tinker and change things.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

Although they were popular, I never heard a set of 901 speakers 'properly' set up as they were intended. Spaced equidistant adjacent to a large rectangular wall. The original 901s required a lot of amplifier power. I think they went to a bass reflex design which lowered the power requirements. The original idea was to get away from the typical 'forward firing box' type of loudspeaker sound. And 'mimic' the concert hall. For better or worse.

Amar and his company were rather iconoclastic--not many manufacturers would have the audacity, arrogance, and contempt for the First Amendment to take a reviewer to court over a review, although many probably wish they could.

On a lark I went to the Bose site. It looks like they only sell 'smart' and 'lifestyle' products. Bluetooth sunglasses and such. I guess the old loudspeaker line is history.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't speak to AR3 production--I know there was a big change between the 3 and 3a essentially making them two different loudspeakers.

JBL made at least four versions of the L100, to include not only driver placement on the baffle but crossover and phase changes in the drivers. However my impression is that they all had the same or at least similar 'sonic signature'. I own a 'late' Version 4 pair purchased in or around 1977. I've kept them for years, lugging them to wherever I happened to be.

Troels Gravesen has some measurements and modification that no doubt make it a 'better' speaker. But then you don't have an L100. I don't see the point, really. Apart from the desire to tinker and change things.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

Although they were popular, I never heard a set of 901 speakers 'properly' set up as they were intended. Spaced equidistant adjacent to a large rectangular wall. The original 901s required a lot of amplifier power. I think they went to a bass reflex design which lowered the power requirements. The original idea was to get away from the typical 'forward firing box' type of loudspeaker sound. And 'mimic' the concert hall. For better or worse.

Amar and his company were rather iconoclastic--not many manufacturers would have the audacity, arrogance, and contempt for the First Amendment to take a reviewer to court over a review, although many probably wish they could.

On a lark I went to the Bose site. It looks like they only sell 'smart' and 'lifestyle' products. Bluetooth sunglasses and such. I guess the old loudspeaker line is history.
No they still sell some speakers. Pretty big in soundbars, and some smaller speakers.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No they still sell some speakers. Pretty big in soundbars, and some smaller speakers.
I was thinking the 'traditional' line--901, 501,301 etc. Their market (almost the entire popular audio scene) has changed. Bose used to sell a preamp, amplifier (Mark Levinson used one at a CES to drive part of his HQD as he didn't have enough ML-2s ready), and a receiver.

Funny story: one of the best high school auditorium sound systems I ever heard consisted of a set of Bose commercial speakers. Looked like a 901 but facing the room, with all the drivers forward firing. I have no idea how it was constructed since the drivers were not visible. Just a large BOSE printed on the front. Take-away? If a high school auditorium is where you do most of your listening, you might want to consider Bose! :)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking the 'traditional' line--901, 501,301 etc. Their market (almost the entire popular audio scene) has changed. Bose used to sell a preamp, amplifier (Mark Levinson used one at a CES to drive part of his HQD as he didn't have enough ML-2s ready), and a receiver.

Funny story: one of the best high school auditorium sound systems I ever heard consisted of a set of Bose commercial speakers. Looked like a 901 but facing the room, with all the drivers forward firing. I have no idea how it was constructed since the drivers were not visible. Just a large BOSE printed on the front. Take-away? If a high school auditorium is where you do most of your listening, you might want to consider Bose! :)
Those are Bose 802s, and they are pretty good for PA 'speakers for a bit of sound reinforcement. They won't fill a stadium, but for a small hall, jazz club or similar, they would be my preferred choice if PA is needed at all.

S.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
802s can make an obscene amount of noise in a small venue, and not too bad at all, considering their relatively compact dimensions. You'll also find it very difficult to destroy them, no matter what you do.

People love to p#ss all over Bose, makes them feel all 'audiophile' superior and 'special', but, Amar was making and selling tons of speakers back before they were a twinkle in their father's loins or were toddling around in their nappies (diapers). And, Bose has likely sold more speakers than all the "audiophile approved" speakers added up.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
I have some 501 Series I speakers that I had to replace blown woofers/tweeters on. Very interesting stuff with the plastic deflectors to "direct" the sound haha.

Unclevanya

My first "good" speakers were Bose "Interaudio" bookshelf speakers. They were ported conventional (not direct reflecting) and used a paper tweeter. They gave the impression of deep base, and the salesman sold them using Poco Heart of the Night on a half speed mattered vinyl recording.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That noaudiophile review, despite its limitations, is extremely informative and fascinating - and it's hilarious.

I agree that Bose gets dismissed too easily and too often. What I find very interesting in this regard is the final commentary in the noaudiophile review, from Aleksandar Radisavljevic, who says that with a subwoofer and a dome tweeter added, and the existing 9 drivers required to run only from 90Hz to 3k, the 901s could be excellent. I find that interesting because had Bose done that and sold it as a "special edition" 901 for, say, twice the price, Bose might very well be considered a hallowed audiophile brand these days, with the commentary more along the lines of, "the base 901 is a limited design, but it does certain things very well, and the Special Edition showed that Amar Bose could produce a speaker equal to the best of the time while retaining its unique immersive character."

I hasten to add that I don't think such a tweaked design would necessarily actually be that great - and certainly not worth all that money. I'm just saying that had Bose gone even further upmarket, with more expense and more ungainly add-ons, that might very well have made Bose more accepted by many audiophiles, who would overlook the major design flaws/compromises.

Omar Cumming

My first "Hi-Fi" speakers Bose 201's also had a deflector in front of the paper cone tweeter. The foam surrounds on the woofers have since turned to dust.:(

Cheers

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor

Was the school event some kind of "Up With People" thing in the 80s? I might have seen the same thing. They just had a pair of 802s on stands 1/3 from both ends of our basketball arena. I was already DJing and doing sound for a metal band, and I was blown away by how loud and cleanish they played. Not too-awful bass considering their size.

802s can make an obscene amount of noise in a small venue, and not too bad at all, considering their relatively compact dimensions. You'll also find it very difficult to destroy them, no matter what you do.

People love to p#ss all over Bose, makes them feel all 'audiophile' superior and 'special', but, Amar was making and selling tons of speakers back before they were a twinkle in their father's loins or were toddling around in their nappies (diapers). And, Bose has likely sold more speakers than all the "audiophile approved" speakers added up.

Yeah, they held up good, considering the SPLs the cheer-rockers were putting through them. Got a little distorted towards the end, but it was probably the little Peavey powered mixer they were feeding the 802s with. The mixer was similar to the one we practiced with, and they were pretty bad. I probably damaged everybody's hearing trying to push the vocal monitors over the meathead guitarists trying to outdo each other on a pair of 135-watt Ultralinear Fender Twins.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Yeap, but say what you want the 901 was never a audiophile speaker. Torture them no problem. But, no, they never sound good. Not in there time and for shure not today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom