• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf Speaker Placement (Computer Monitor Blocking Right Speaker)

mattborchert

Hello! I am definitely a bit of a speaker placement newbie, so I'm looking for opinions from those with much more knowledge than I! I have a small home office where I spend the majority of almost every day, and I was considering picking up a pair of KEF LS50 Metas while they were on sale. Since this wouldn't be a cheap purchase by any means, I wanted to make sure that I could place them in such a way that I'd be able to enjoy the level of performance they provide.

I've attached a photo of my current setup so you can see the obvious problem. I currently have a pair of Vanatoo Transparent One Encores on some Soundrise stands that I really love. The right speaker is completely obstructed by the tilted monitor, which has a negative impact on sound quality. I considered switching out my monitor setup to a single ultrawide that would completely solve this issue, but ultimately it wouldn't be practical for the work I do and how I do so. So for that purpose, let's assume the desk and the item placement on it will largely remain the same. The table to the right and the air filter on the left can be removed.

All this being said! What options should I consider? If I were to purchase stands to raise the speakers above the monitors, perhaps to the left and the right of the desk, would that work? I know I'm making compromises, but if I'm going to invest in a proper set up passive speakers with an amplifier, I want to feel like I'm taking full advantage of them. If anyone has stand recommendations, or even speaker recommendations for different types of placements I'd be super grateful. An example might be if I were to raise the speakers over the monitors, perhaps LS50 Metas would be a bad match for that placement, but some mysterious speaker would be a fantastic fit for that application.

If it's relevant, the room is slightly rectangular in shape, and the desk is centered on the short side of the rectangle. The acoustic panels have done wonders in removing echo from the room (I do audio recording in here from time to time, on top of lots of video meetings.)

Thank you, excited to learn from your knowledge! :)

PXL_20221116_212042069.jpg

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As you've probably guessed, putting the monitor in the way of the speaker is bad. You'll likely lose any stereo imaging you might have had and the treble isn't going to sound right.

Looks like you have space for stands, I think that's the sensible route from here. I don't use any so don't have recommendations, but I am sure others here can point you in the right direction.

Elevating the speakers above the monitors could also work, but you'd need to angle them down really sharply, probably more difficult to make work than just getting some nice stands and putting them on either side of the desk.

Unrelated, but it looks like we both own pixel phones, the same air purifier, MOTU unit, and I have similar Focal cans (elex.) Similar printer but mine doesn't have the scanner, and I think our standing desks are different brands... :D

OP
M

mattborchert

As you've probably guessed, putting the monitor in the way of the speaker is bad. You'll likely lose any stereo imaging you might have had and the treble isn't going to sound right.

Looks like you have space for stands, I think that's the sensible route from here. I don't use any so don't have recommendations, but I am sure others here can point you in the right direction.

Elevating the speakers above the monitors could also work, but you'd need to angle them down really sharply, probably more difficult to make work than just getting some nice stands and putting them on either side of the desk.

Unrelated, but it looks like we both own pixel phones, the same air purifier, MOTU unit, and I have similar Focal cans (elex.) Similar printer but mine doesn't have the scanner, and I think our standing desks are different brands... :D
Haha, thank you! With stands on the side, I wasn't sure how that would or wouldn't work with the monitor off to the right. For example the KEF LS50 Meta stands are basically the exact same height as the desk. Would I be able to point those speakers straight back or tilted in a bit and that would work? Ahh the mysteries.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha, thank you! With stands on the side, I wasn't sure how that would or wouldn't work with the monitor off to the right. For example the KEF LS50 Meta stands are basically the exact same height as the desk. Would I be able to point those speakers straight back or tilted in a bit and that would work? Ahh the mysteries.
The rule of thumb for nearfield (sitting at desk) listening is to sit with your head at one vertex of an equilateral triangle with the speakers at the other two, pointing at your head.

If the stands are only as high as the desk, you'll probably want to angle them slightly upwards if possible.

I don't know the LS50 measurements off the top of my head, but I think they should sound best angled in. The good news is that height is somewhat less important for these speakers because they're coaxial, so if you can't match height exactly it's not the absolute end of the world.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would you consider stacking your monitors instead?
7d2d57c4-c7c1-45e1-aece-627a33dc47b0.__CR0,0,1940,1200_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Erici

Forum Donor

For the best sound it's really important to have the speakers equidistant from your ears (without any obstruction). Floor stands could do that for you if you center the monitors on your desk.
I have Monolith stands that are very heavy and well made. That would be my recommendation.
Eric

OP
M

mattborchert

Would you consider stacking your monitors instead?
View attachment 243821
I pondered it, but it's a bad viewing angle. I'd sooner drop the money on an ultrawide, but for now the monitor setup is going to stay the same. (I know it's not optimal, but the primary purpose of the room is work so I need to optimize for that above all else.)

Top Bottom