• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BluRay / CD reader: Tascam BD-MP1 vs Denon DN-500BD MKII

marklings

Here's' my situation: I listen mainly to streaming, sometimes to Vinyl, very occasionally to CDs. Still there are some editions that you only find on CDs and occasionally I am interested in BluRay musical stuff, There's a nice documentary on King Crimson that I intend to buy.

So I would like to get a reader that I could use for both functions, certainly with SPDIF output to integrate into my main system

Add to that that I generally prefer pro equipment as being IMO better specced, more realible and cheaper that equivalent comsumer hardware.

All of that led me to either Tascam BD-MP1 or Denon DN-500BD MKII. They are VERY SIMILARLY specced and same pricing. The only difference I could imagine is that Tascam has a reputation for pro stuff not so much for consumer; viceversa for Denon.

I know there's nice review here on the Tascam. In a nutshell is rated "not bad" and not bad would be enough for me for this application.

Would anyone on the forum have compared the 2 ? Have any experience with any of the 2 ? Relaibility ? Any other suggestions (as long as there's a display, SPDIF output, no external power supply, price less that 500) ?

Thanks for the consideration.

Willem

Major Contributor
The only relevant difference other than reliability and mechanical noise would be the video performance. If you use a coaxial or optical output the audio quality depends solely on the external DAC. I use the digital output of an old cheap Bluray player into my RME ADI-2 DAC and the sound quality is as good as it gets.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would download the user manuals if both and check how they work and if they match my needs. At first look they seem to be very similar.

Tremolo

It seems the same player to me, with different badges. But why more than 400 dollars for things you don't need (like analog bal output)? Any cheap bd player with digital out would do.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems the same player to me, with different badges. But why more than 400 dollars for things you don't need (like analog bal output)? Any cheap bd player with digital out would do.
Most of them have no display at all so not good for playing CDs.

vert

Forum Donor
I've found a BD player w/ optical out to work well but don't play CDs very often. The track list on the CD cover is enough for navigation, I don't really miss a display.

Music707

Yeah thats the point, I do want a display and bd players on the cheap typically dont have it

If you are not against used items, the discontinued Denon DBT-3313UD might be worth a look. In my desktop system I am using a Sony UPB-X800 which in my view is a very fine transport. But unfortunately it is missing a display.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my desktop system I am using a Sony UPB-X800 which in my view is a very fine transport. But unfortunately it is missing a display.
Same here so I use an old Kenwood DP5010 as CD drive.

Eleo

I was in the same situation as the op. Finally, I have hooked up a cheap cd/dvd external player to the mini PC I use for streaming, which is connected to my Motu m2. The musical content is played through Foobar. This way, I can apply room correction to my CDs. The only downside is that the player is a bit noisy.

OP
M

marklings

I was in the same situation as the op. Finally, I have hooked up a cheap cd/dvd external player to the mini PC I use for streaming, which is connected to my Motu m2. The musical content is played through Foobar. This way, I can apply room correction to my CDs. The only downside is that the player is a bit noisy.
Mmm interesting idea, I do have a nuc nearby, I could do that. I would need to turn on the tv I use for streaming though, or use ipad as a remote, probably too complicated but thanks for the suggestion

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my view this is a good example of a 'classic beauty' (meant in the best sense).
... and I even didn't buy it but inherited it. It replaced my Tascam CDRW 700 so the latter may live longer. I don't want to buy another CD-Player in this life.

Eleo

Mmm interesting idea, I do have a nuc nearby, I could do that. I would need to turn on the tv I use for streaming though, or use ipad as a remote, probably too complicated but thanks for the suggestion
Actually, I use my iPad as a remote through TeamViewer. A bit slow but it works.

Top Bottom