• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Black Ice "Glass FX DAC"

MINOR WHITE

Good day all,

Spent some time searching for any info, experience or reviews on the forum here on the "Black Ice Glass FX DSD Wifi DAC", but hadn't found anything.
Wondered if anyone has experience with it, it's various modes (Wifi, USB,Toslink), and if anyone has done some testing and measurements on it?
It features 2, 12AX7 tubes on the output RCAs, which I believe you can "tweak" by switching tube types to get a different 'sound signature'.
Curious how this rates and measures up against other "tube dacs".

Many thanks

Black Ice (Jolida) Glass FX DSD Dac

Output Level: 0 V to 2.3V (±1dB, 47K ohms) (SIN SIGNAL 0dB SPDIF IN)

Frequency Response: 20-20 KHz (±0.5dB)

Bandwidth:10Hz to 70kHz + 1dB

Distortion THD: Less than 0.01% (1kHz)

Dynamic Range: 126 dB

Headphone Impedance: 30 ohms

Output Impedance: 1.25K @ 1KHz

SNR: >90dB ( 20Hz-20kHz)

Tube Complement: 2 x 12AX7

Power Requirements: 110V-120 VAC 60Hz or 220-240 VAC 50Hz

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice first post
How much does Jolida pay for your epistles?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why in the world would you want to add distortion to a signal processing device?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's on the output amplification stage. Even DACs need to amplify the analog signal a bit to send it out, and especially with those that are similar to this in that it is also a headphone amp.
DAC’s are tested after the output. Also tested at the output.

DonR

Major Contributor
Measurements here would be incredibly enlightening I should think. Only a poorly or purposely designed (intentional distortion) tube stage should have a particular sonic signature. Not sure why you wouldn't just have one of a hundred perfectly functional DACs and stitch a tube buffer between it and the pre-amp if that is your bent.

Jim Taylor

Major Contributor
If you are looking for a digital DAC that sounds digitally precise, this is not your jam. If you are looking for a DAC with life, personality, character, and clarity get this.

The headphone amp is pretty great as well. Lots of clarity and sound stage. As I type this I am listening to my Grado RS1x on it and its awesome. The sound stage is not only vast with these headphones, it is also crazy clear, warm and rich, and very 3D
It does things that no other DAC does.
me and my buds in the tube zone like to call "life" or "flavor" and it is absolutely worth it.
At the price offered, I would wholeheartedly say this is an incredible value

1) The OP asked for measurements, among other things. The words you have used (life, character, personality, flavor, pretty great and incredible) have no scientific or objective meaning. They cannot be quantified. They don't relate to measurements.
2) Your post seems, therefore, most akin to an advertisement by snake-oil scam artists. That is something this site was created to counteract. There are any number of internet sites dealing with subjective descriptions that have no measurements to back them up. There are any number of internet sites dealing with overblown and hyped-up claims that people new to audio might tend to believe.
3) For instance: what does this DAC do that no other DAC does? Is there some data for this claim? And how do you know no other DAC does this "thing"? Have you heard all other DACs?
4) There are precious few sites that are rational, data-centered and advertisement-free. This is one.
5) There are precious few sites that try to help entry-level people understand audio and enable them to make THEIR OWN decisions. This is one. That means not pushing our own views of equipment on to someone who is looking for advice, but helping them without bias.
6) BTW - there are quite a few people here who have tube gear. They know and understand tubes, and they like them. They don't evangelize tubes as "better" (because that
is a totally personal opinion) or make overblown claims about them which are unsupportable.

I have much better things to do than wax poetic for anyone else other than myself ....

Then why did you post in a public forum?

Jim Taylor

p.s. - Welcome to Audio Science Review!

Last edited:

Jim Taylor

Major Contributor
"Experience" can mean many things, such as:
How long have you had the unit?
During that time, how long have you run it?
Do you use it every day?
Do you leave it plugged in all the time or not?
Did the unit have any functional problems?
Does the unit exhibit overload characteristics?
Did the unit exhibit noise or hum, and at what level?
Did the unit run hot?
You mentioned "at its best". Which partnering was at its worst, and why?

Again; you have used words that have no specific meaning. Because of that, they are of no use. Not to the OP, and not to anyone else. The fact that you like the unit doesn't mean that the OP (or someone else) couldn't purchase this on your review/recommendation and then find that they disagreed totally, and regretted spending their money. That's the big problem with subjective reviews or recommendations; there is absolutely no guarantee that other people will feel the same way about the unit. You could do one person (such as the OP) as much of a disservice as you could a service.

That is one of the basic reasons this site avoids subjective posts that have no references. References give other people, here or anywhere around the world, the chance to assess audio gear with some assurance of repeatable and meaningful results.

Jim

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Obviously I have no idea how things happen here THIS IS MY FIRST POST.
Nah. You don’t have to join or contribute in order to understand what’s going on here. Nothing new got unlocked after your first post.

Anyway, somehow you missed this key part before jumping in:
That is something this site was created to counteract. There are any number of internet sites dealing with subjective descriptions that have no measurements to back them up. There are any number of internet sites dealing with overblown and hyped-up claims that people new to audio might tend to believe.

Even meaning well, with your post you pushed about ten buttons at the same time. That’s unfortunate but it doesn’t mean everybody hates you now or your forum life here is over.

I for one hope you’ll stick around. Maybe we can have posts #11-#15#14 (yes also this one) removed and start anew?

Edit: I see someone took action already.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Without this how are we supposed to know?

Read some threads. Get a feel for the place.

There are no rules or censorship other than the usual stuff expected on any forum, but some approaches are seen as nothing but noise and will get reactions accordingly.

A caveat emptor like "This is just my personal subjective experience, so feel free to take it with big grain of salt" will make your passion and excitement a lot less irritating to the people who have come here to seek refuge from untethered emotions and their tendency to make judgement unreliable.

EDIT:
This thread sort of covers what you're looking for:

It probably seems like an incredibly condescending read, but it gives a good picture of the attitude you'll face here.

Don't let that discourage you from staying though. Good arguments are always welcome.

There's also this:

Last edited:
Top Bottom