• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Black Ice "Glass FX DAC"

MINOR WHITE

Good day all,

Spent some time searching for any info, experience or reviews on the forum here on the "Black Ice Glass FX DSD Wifi DAC", but hadn't found anything.
Wondered if anyone has experience with it, it's various modes (Wifi, USB,Toslink), and if anyone has done some testing and measurements on it?
It features 2, 12AX7 tubes on the output RCAs, which I believe you can "tweak" by switching tube types to get a different 'sound signature'.
Curious how this rates and measures up against other "tube dacs".

Many thanks

Black Ice (Jolida) Glass FX DSD Dac

Output Level: 0 V to 2.3V (±1dB, 47K ohms) (SIN SIGNAL 0dB SPDIF IN)

Frequency Response: 20-20 KHz (±0.5dB)

Bandwidth:10Hz to 70kHz + 1dB

Distortion THD: Less than 0.01% (1kHz)

Dynamic Range: 126 dB

Headphone Impedance: 30 ohms

Output Impedance: 1.25K @ 1KHz

SNR: >90dB ( 20Hz-20kHz)

Tube Complement: 2 x 12AX7

Power Requirements: 110V-120 VAC 60Hz or 220-240 VAC 50Hz

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice first post
How much does Jolida pay for your epistles?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why in the world would you want to add distortion to a signal processing device?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's on the output amplification stage. Even DACs need to amplify the analog signal a bit to send it out, and especially with those that are similar to this in that it is also a headphone amp.
DAC’s are tested after the output. Also tested at the output.

DonR

Major Contributor
Measurements here would be incredibly enlightening I should think. Only a poorly or purposely designed (intentional distortion) tube stage should have a particular sonic signature. Not sure why you wouldn't just have one of a hundred perfectly functional DACs and stitch a tube buffer between it and the pre-amp if that is your bent.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Obviously I have no idea how things happen here THIS IS MY FIRST POST.
Nah. You don’t have to join or contribute in order to understand what’s going on here. Nothing new got unlocked after your first post.

Anyway, somehow you missed this key part before jumping in:
That is something this site was created to counteract. There are any number of internet sites dealing with subjective descriptions that have no measurements to back them up. There are any number of internet sites dealing with overblown and hyped-up claims that people new to audio might tend to believe.

Even meaning well, with your post you pushed about ten buttons at the same time. That’s unfortunate but it doesn’t mean everybody hates you now or your forum life here is over.

I for one hope you’ll stick around. Maybe we can have posts #11-#15#14 (yes also this one) removed and start anew?

Edit: I see someone took action already.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Without this how are we supposed to know?

Read some threads. Get a feel for the place.

There are no rules or censorship other than the usual stuff expected on any forum, but some approaches are seen as nothing but noise and will get reactions accordingly.

A caveat emptor like "This is just my personal subjective experience, so feel free to take it with big grain of salt" will make your passion and excitement a lot less irritating to the people who have come here to seek refuge from untethered emotions and their tendency to make judgement unreliable.

EDIT:
This thread sort of covers what you're looking for:

It probably seems like an incredibly condescending read, but it gives a good picture of the attitude you'll face here.

Don't let that discourage you from staying though. Good arguments are always welcome.

There's also this:

Last edited:

Yggdrasill

Just wondering if the OP ever tried any tube rolling? I have the version one of this DAC; same chip, same architecture, but without the wifi. I have the original, stock cheap Chinese tubes in it, but have been thinking about trying some different 12ax7s. I'm kind of a tube neophyte.

Since no Jolida products have been reviewed on ASR, I was thinking maybe I should drop mine off for Amir to evaluate.

Baudrillard_J

Just wondering if the OP ever tried any tube rolling? I have the version one of this DAC; same chip, same architecture, but without the wifi. I have the original, stock cheap Chinese tubes in it, but have been thinking about trying some different 12ax7s. I'm kind of a tube neophyte.

Since no Jolida products have been reviewed on ASR, I was thinking maybe I should drop mine off for Amir to evaluate.

I would like to see more of their stuff reviewed, I agree. But I think it is only fair to call them “Black Ice” since Jolida is not associated with the orignal US company any longer after a Chinese company tried to hijack that name.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom