• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamics 990 250 Ohm. DAC advise. Please help

TwentinKarantino

Hello comrads. Could you please give me advise which DAC should i bought to my headphones?

Budget: <250$
Purpose: listening music and little bit gaming.

Right now i have sound blaster z se sound card and feels that its not enough to me. Previously I owned logitech g pro x that was great in music listening and gaming but for some reason i bought BD 990 Pro. Bought by someone's advise but seems picked wrong resistance power of them. Anyway i love them because they are so comfortable and i can spend few hours with them without any discomfort.

Searched a lot same topics and not found answer. Sorry for bothering (

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You probably mean headphone amp or DAC with built-in headphone amp.
Any headphone out that can reach at least 50mW in 300ohm (or 0.4W in 32ohm) should be fine.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DT990 250 ohm are really fun, but they take a push to drive (compared to the Soundblaster Z which I had years back). Here's some you can't go wrong with:
Soundblaster X1 which will power even the DT880/990 600 ohm loud enough, but no room to EQ. It outputs 2.4v when it detects over 150ohm, and it's got the same software you're familiar with. Amazon has them for $45 but you might need a USB 3.0 rated A to C cable depending on your PC location. The one it comes with is like 6 inches long and it's C to C.
Topping DX3 Pro+ we have one downstairs on the 300 ohm Sennheiser HD6xx and it's flawless and small footprint.
JDS Atom Amp+/DAC+

OP
T

TwentinKarantino

You probably mean headphone amp or DAC with built-in headphone amp.
Any headphone out that can reach at least 50mW in 300ohm (or 0.4W in 32ohm) should be fine.
DAC with built-in headphone amp i quess. Maybe sometimes i'll switch my beyerdynamics to something better.

The DT990 250 ohm are really fun, but they take a push to drive (compared to the Soundblaster Z which I had years back). Here's some you can't go wrong with:
Soundblaster X1 which will power even the DT880/990 600 ohm loud enough, but no room to EQ. It outputs 2.4v when it detects over 150ohm, and it's got the same software you're familiar with. Amazon has them for $45 but you might need a USB 3.0 rated A to C cable depending on your PC location. The one it comes with is like 6 inches long and it's C to C.
Topping DX3 Pro+ we have one downstairs on the 300 ohm Sennheiser HD6xx and it's flawless and small footprint.
JDS Atom Amp+/DAC+
Heard about Topping DX3 Pro but its old. Isnt it ? Maybe would be better to look into latest products? Is SMSL have something interesting based on my budget and purpose?
Also, SoundBlaster software has problems on Windows 11 for my card, so i lost trust to this company. Maybe I'm just lucky and got broken SoundCard

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DX3 Pro will be fine. So will DX1.
There are also FiiO products that are well suited.

OP
T

TwentinKarantino

Am i correct that with dac (+headphone amp) sound quality must be better then on soundblaster z se card ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K5Pro, K7

Top Bottom