• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro sounds much worse in my eyes as the HD 6XX

mispela

I received the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro yesterday and was immediately disappointed. A lot of the music I listen to just sounds terrible on these. Only the bass is better and the 3D localization of insturments. Does anyone have an EQ profile for these headphones that I should test before sending them back?

OP
M

mispela

Attachments

• 1700557631750.png
    1700557631750.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 68

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had those, the velour pads are best by far, the B pads sound lame and shouldn't have been included on those. If you use APO equalizer with Peace, hit the Autoeq button and load one of the presets for it. They really are good headphones, but really bad with the B pads on them.

OP
M

mispela

I've had those, the velour pads are best by far, the B pads sound lame and shouldn't have been included on those. If you use APO equalizer with Peace, hit the Autoeq button and load one of the presets for it. They really are good headphones, but really bad with the B pads on them.
What do you mean by B pads? I tried the auto EQ Button, but I don't like the sound

staticV3

Master Contributor
@mispela
Which EQ do you use? I tried it with Equalizer APO 1.3. Have I forgotten something? With the Analytic Earpads
That's not really the way you use these presets.

If you'd like, then I can convert them to .txt files that you can import into EQApo with the "Include configuration file" block.

OP
M

mispela

@mispela

That's not really the way you use these presets.

If you'd like, then I can convert them to .txt files that you can import into EQApo with the "Include configuration file" block.
Yes, please could you do that for me. I'm using it now with filters and the Q Factor and it sounds much better, but it uses a lot of CPU usage.

Attachments

• 1700560612211.png
    1700560612211.png
    306.3 KB · Views: 76

robertom

You should look at diyaudioheaven work on the DT1990 :

Frans did a lot of measurements and proposed some solutions for the hideous 8K peak. I already tried the amiron fleece pads, and they work well, even above my expectations, but the peak is just too pronounced to be solved with a foam swap. You can add 2-3mm felt to furtherly reduce highs, but they start impacting the overall level of high frequencies too much, and the 8k peak is not thoroughly tamed either.

I've ordered the filter from frans: it should arrive today, I can give my opinion later on this.

OP
M

mispela

You should look at diyaudioheaven work on the DT1990 :

Frans did a lot of measurements and proposed some solutions for the hideous 8K peak. I already tried the amiron fleece pads, and they work well, even above my expectations, but the peak is just too pronounced to be solved with a foam swap. You can add 2-3mm felt to furtherly reduce highs, but they start impacting the overall level of high frequencies too much, and the 8k peak is not thoroughly tamed either.

I've ordered the filter from frans: it should arrive today, I can give my opinion later on this.
I'm going to send them back instruments and vocals just don't sound very good with them, so I'm not going to buy alternative pads. The EQ config about made it a bit better but still not as good as I want it.

robertom

I'm going to send them back instruments and vocals just don't sound very good with them, so I'm not going to buy alternative pads. The EQ config about made it a bit better but still not as good as I want it.

I understand. Many will not agree, but I find the DT1990 unlistenable in its stock form, and the guilty is (for me) everything above about 4K, and above all that huge 8K peak. It's a shame, because the rest of the range, with the analytical pads, is excellent, and the driver is good quality.
I have decided to not give up and try everything I could before reselling them (I buyed them second hand). If the filter by frans does not satisfy me I will end up selling them too. However, the amiron fleece pads are a replacement of the internal foam, not of the pads (I use the stock 'analytical' ones).
However, I have good hopes on this filter, I'll see..

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes, please could you do that for me. I'm using it now with filters and the Q Factor and it sounds much better, but it uses a lot of CPU usage.
Attached below are the two presets. Please put them in this folder: C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config

Afterwards you can load them into EQApo with the Control->Include (Include configuration file) block. Here's how that should look:
Screenshot 2023-11-22 161053.jpg

Please set your Preamp to what it says in the file, like you see above. That way, you can toggle the EQ on and off without the volume changing.

Attachments

• DT1990 Analytic pads (-5,6dB).txt
    459 bytes · Views: 80
  • DT1990 Balanced pads (-5,6dB) .txt
    408 bytes · Views: 57
OP
M

mispela

Attached below are the two presets. Please put them in this folder: C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config

Afterwards you can load them into EQApo with the Control->Include (Include configuration file) block. Here's how that should look:
View attachment 328514

Please set your Preamp to what it says in the file, like you see above. That way, you can toggle the EQ on and off without the volume changing.
Thank you a lot.

Top Bottom