• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better to get an all-in-one device or multiple devices?

guccidiaper

Hello there. I'm a desktop user looking for advice on an entry level setup for gaming, music listening, general use. First of all is it better to get an all-in-one device? Or multiple devices?
I started out looking at the Loxjie A30, but it seems like switching between speakers and headphones would be kind of a pain like if you lose the remote. I could spend a little bit more for something a bit nicer too. My biggest concerns are build and sound quality, and ease of switching between headphones and speakers ie. having a button on the device and not relying on a remote or a complex menu. Bluetooth would be cool to have as well. Speakers will be Klipsch RP-400M, and HIFIMAN Edition XS headphones or something from Audeze. Appreciate any tips! Thank you!

printerlights

You may want to look into using a combo dac/headphone amplifier paired with a dedicated power amplifier for speakers. When you want to switch from headphones to speakers all you have to do is switch your dac/headphone amp to line out mode.

Something like a DX3 Pro+ would work great, has built in bluetooth and can be operated without a remote. Just run RCA's from the DX3 pro+ to a power amp that fits your budget.

OP
G

guccidiaper

You may want to look into using a combo dac/headphone amplifier paired with a dedicated power amplifier for speakers. When you want to switch from headphones to speakers all you have to do is switch your dac/headphone amp to line out mode.

Something like a DX3 Pro+ would work great, has built in bluetooth and can be operated without a remote. Just run RCA's from the DX3 pro+ to a power amp that fits your budget.
Thanks! I looked at that one too but didn't see any toggle or switch on the front for switching back and forth the outputs. Am I missing something?

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello there. I'm a desktop user looking for advice on an entry level setup for gaming, music listening, general use. First of all is it better to get an all-in-one device? Or multiple devices?
I started out looking at the Loxjie A30, but it seems like switching between speakers and headphones would be kind of a pain like if you lose the remote. I could spend a little bit more for something a bit nicer too. My biggest concerns are build and sound quality, and ease of switching between headphones and speakers ie. having a button on the device and not relying on a remote or a complex menu. Bluetooth would be cool to have as well. Speakers will be Klipsch RP-400M, and HIFIMAN Edition XS headphones or something from Audeze. Appreciate any tips! Thank you!
Do you have the speakers already? If this is for use in a smaller / medium sized room and you'll be sitting fairly close, I strongly recommend looking into powered monitors rather than passives. You'll almost always get better sound at any given price point for that type of usage. Anything by Genelec, Neumann, Dynaudio, Mackie, or JBL are all great and are almost certain to outperform those Klipsch speakers.

If you have powered speakers, you can get a combo headphone amp/DAC to run your headphones and connect your speakers. Something like the Topping DX3 Pro+, for around $200, or DX5, for under $500, will drive those headphones no problem, are fantastic DACs, and have RCA (or for the DX5, XLR) outs to act as a preamp for powered speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been a serious shooter since ~2000 and I like separates. I use the PC in Win10 and plan on not changing. I'm about to shoot Sniper Elite 5. Any ideas and questions?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tend to agree that if simplicity and ease of use are priorities, that (something like) the DX3 and powered monitors should be your first option. If you already bought the speakers then the power amp situation is a little tricky and adds an extra box, but doesn't require you to look past a DX3+ or similar device.

OP
G

guccidiaper

Do you have the speakers already? If this is for use in a smaller / medium sized room and you'll be sitting fairly close, I strongly recommend looking into powered monitors rather than passives. You'll almost always get better sound at any given price point for that type of usage. Anything by Genelec, Neumann, Dynaudio, Mackie, or JBL are all great and are almost certain to outperform those Klipsch speakers.

If you have powered speakers, you can get a combo headphone amp/DAC to run your headphones and connect your speakers. Something like the Topping DX3 Pro+, for around $200, or DX5, for under $500, will drive those headphones no problem, are fantastic DACs, and have RCA (or for the DX5, XLR) outs to act as a preamp for powered speakers.
Yes I already have the Klipsch RP400Ms. Got them used for about $120 but could consider switching it up if that setup makes more sense

printerlights

Yes I already have the Klipsch RP400Ms. Got them used for about $120 but could consider switching it up if that setup makes more sense
A pair of powered monitors would be the most convenient solution, but if you really like how your RP400Ms sound then you may want to consider a more powerful amp than the A30. Check out the SMSL A300 or something similar.

printerlights

Ohhhhhhh! That makes sense now. Thank you.
I also found the BURSON Audio Funk. If I decide to keep the passive speakers, would this one be sufficient for nice headphones and also the speakers?
Looks like the Funk would be decent for a small room/nearfield setup, but you might want something with more power for any other application.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ohhhhhhh! That makes sense now. Thank you.
I also found the BURSON Audio Funk. If I decide to keep the passive speakers, would this one be sufficient for nice headphones and also the speakers?
The Funk is kinda expensive and also doesn't include a DAC, so you're still looking at 2 boxes if you go that route. I think it has enough power for desktop use, though. The DX3 and something like Aiyima A200 will get you all the way there for less dollars.

OP
G

guccidiaper

The Funk is kinda expensive and also doesn't include a DAC, so you're still looking at 2 boxes if you go that route. I think it has enough power for desktop use, though. The DX3 and something like Aiyima A200 will get you all the way there for less dollars.
Ok this is what I still don't get, why would it still need a DAC? Wouldn't the headphone amp component of the Funk be enough?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok this is what I still don't get, why would it still need a DAC? Wouldn't the headphone amp component of the Funk be enough?
DAC means digital-to-analog converter. If you are plugging straight into your PC via USB you need a DAC. If you are plugging straight into a headphone jack on the PC, you are using the PC's DAC.

You may or may not get an audible sound quality improvement by switching to an external DAC. The ones they put in computers range from extremely terrible to totally acceptable.

Often the DAC and the headphone (and/or speaker) amps are in the same box. But, you can also buy them all in separate boxes, just depends on what you want on your desk.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My RME ADI2 PRO automatically switches from lineout (feeding active monitors) to headphone output when I plugin a headphone. It also changes the volume level and the EQ setting accordingly. I think other similar DAC/preamp combos might do the same.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My RME ADI2 PRO automatically switches from lineout (feeding active monitors) to headphone output when I plugin a headphone. It also changes the volume level and the EQ setting accordingly. I think other similar DAC/preamp combos might do the same.
How many ways can it do that?

OP
G

guccidiaper

Why those speakers? They may be okay but for that kind of coin you could have Genelec and not have to buy amps.
No reason in particular, they were on sale locally and seemed like a good deal and with good reviews online, that's all. Which Genelec would you recommend switching to?

Top Bottom