• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better results with bookshelf speakers at the "wrong" height -- is my mind messing with me?

rhz

I recently purchased a pair of Triangle Borea BR03 speakers and have had them on old 28" stands. This put my ear level with the bottom of the woofer. I like the speakers.

I've read that these stands are too tall. So, I bought a pair of 24" stands (which puts the very top of the woofer at ear level), but things seemed to have changed for the worse. With the 24" stands, while I'm still aware of a vocalist's "presence" between the speakers, I am much more conscious of music/sound coming from the individual speakers rather than between them. There seems to be less dynamic presence at 24" as well. This happens in various speaker distances from walls and toe-in angles.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of thing? Perhaps I just need to get used to the new stands?

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may just need to get used to it, or you may just prefer the slightly off axis sound from the speakers being too high. You can experiment with toe in to do something similar.
Measurements will help if you can do them.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone else encountered this kind of thing. Perhaps I just need to get used to the new stands?
There is one reviewer on YT that recommends placing speakers so that tweeters are slightly above your ears.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I recently purchased a pair of Triangle Borea BR03 speakers and have had them on old 28" stands. This put my ear level with the bottom of the woofer. I like the speakers.

I've read that these stands are too tall. So, I bought a pair of 24" stands (which puts the very top of the woofer at ear level), but things seemed to have changed for the worse. With the 24" stands, while I'm still aware of a vocalist's "presence" between the speakers, I am much more conscious of music/sound coming from the individual speakers rather than between them. There seems to be less dynamic presence at 24" as well. This happens in various speaker distances from walls and toe-in angles.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of thing. Perhaps I just need to get used to the new stands?
Try inverting them.

Trif

I bet you have stuff in the room. Look at the stuff and the tweeter height, and imagine how the tweeter is reflecting off stuff.

Bottom line, though, forget what you've read and place them where they sound best. You might have to experiment a bit, but that's where the "science" comes in! :eek:

Top Bottom