• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better Analog wire connector or Toslink wire?

Lounge Lizard

B"H, Have Sennheiser Wireless (lossless) RS 185 and RS 195 headphones. Both have been connected for a few years with their analog wires to my desktop PC. Recently found a DAC bought and never used, a simple Chinese thing but it has Toslink wires. Would the Sennheiser RS wireless sound better with the Toslink or the same? Thank You

BillG

Major Contributor
my desktop PC. Recently found a DAC bought and never used, a simple Chinese thing but it has Toslink wires.

Without performance measurements from the computer's DAC, and those of the standalone one you've obtained, we can't say for sure. However, digital outputs are typically cleaner, unless their implementation is terribly screwed up.

As for letting one's ears be the judge: unless one is prepared to do a level matched, double blind, A/B test of each device against the other, I wouldn't... ;)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll need to use your own ears to judge.

Just make sure you actually use your ears, and not your expectations and preconceived notions. The only reliable way to do that is a proper, controlled, double-blind listening test.

Top Bottom