• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value streamer with no DAC

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Why don’t you get a new DAC? They are cheap now, at least more cheaper than the 1k new streamer you had in mind. Plus you don’t have the hustle to connect to a Pi, which runs great on Moode or Volumio and even gives you room EQ (eg Camilla DSP) right at the source. Everything you need.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I'm running a Raspberry pi 4 (4gb ram) with Roopiee XL (roon, NAA, AirPlay). It's connected to a WiFi repeater with LAN.

Running of a anker phone charger. That thing is just so much value for money as a streamer. Its actually ridiculous good.

Now I have been reading about people using a linear Power supply with it.. is there actually a benefit to this?

Something like this her:

JonP

I'm running a Raspberry pi 4 (4gb ram) with Roopiee XL (roon, NAA, AirPlay). It's connected to a WiFi repeater with LAN.

Running of a anker phone charger. That thing is just so much value for money as a streamer. Its actually ridiculous good.

Now I have been reading about people using a linear Power supply with it.. is there actually a benefit to this?

Something like this her:
Probably not much. Especially if you're not powering a separate DAC thru the Pi USB, like it sounds like you're not.. (?)

Main thing, is to make sure your Pi is getting enough power, thru good enough supply and good enough USB cable. I have had undervoltage events and problems on Pi's due to a crappy, high resistance cables dropping the voltage too much. (check the dmsg log for undervoltage events)

Once you have enough, it should be about as good as it gets. Even powering a DAC thru the Pi, I think it's been shown that most gear (these days) is pretty resistant to power supply based noise.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Probably not much. Especially if you're not powering a separate DAC thru the Pi USB, like it sounds like you're not.. (?)

Main thing, is to make sure your Pi is getting enough power, thru good enough supply and good enough USB cable. I have had undervoltage events and problems on Pi's due to a crappy, high resistance cables dropping the voltage too much. (check the dmsg log for undervoltage events)

Once you have enough, it should be about as good as it gets. Even powering a DAC thru the Pi, I think it's been shown that most gear (these days) is pretty resistant to power supply based noise.

Thanks. Not powering a DAC through the Pi. It's just running Roopiee XL.

lenno

So I just ordered the Wiim Pro. I don‘t think I need any of the pro features but it just looks better to me. I am currently using a Sony Bravia Android TV that is connected to my leak 130 via optical. I was very unhappy with the quality streaming Qobuz from my phone. It‘s very weird, the native Tidal app sounds significantly better than chromecasting Qobuz from my phone. This is just subjective though, I haven‘t had any measurements. I hope to be able to get better quality on Qobuz as I am used to by using the Wiim.

I am going to keep using the DAC the leak brings to the table as I cannot imagine the Wiim one is better.

If I don‘t like the Wiim for whatever reason, from what I understand, there is no difference in any of the devices you guys mentioned here, is it? As long as it‘s bit perfect. Why are there even streamers in the 4-digits without a DAC? I am missing something here.

Sorry for the noob questions. Have a great day to anyone reading this.

smokey_mountain_asr

Forum Donor
I am listening to $99 JDS Labs Atom+ connected to RPi 4 with moOde on it, Chet Baker in 16-44 Redbook and it is phenomenal on my modest Philharmonic AA++. RPi 4 is an outstanding value, Adafruit drops them 1-2 times a week, so you can buy for a reasonable $50, they do overcharge for shipping but not too much choice otherwise for RPi.

Top Bottom