• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best studio monitor for classical music for 500$

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys. I would like to ask, how durable are powered speakers? I mean, are built-in amps generally reliable?
For the proven workhorses like Genelec and Neumann there is no need to worry about longevity, and even if they fail they can be repaired. I'm not so sure about very cheap models, I think JBL had some issues but I'm not sure. All I can say about my personal experience is that we use active speakers exclusively since 2004 and none has us failed until now (K&H O300D, JBL LSR 2325, Genelec 8020a, Mackie HR824). Of course statistically seen this statement is totally worthless.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys. I would like to ask, how durable are powered speakers? I mean, are built-in amps generally reliable?

High quality active speakers have signal processing which prevents too much loading of the amplifier and woofer. They will reduce bass at very high levels and limit output in order to protect both the drivers and the amplifiers. In this way they are more robust and sophisticated than traditional amplifiers which will amplify anything you ask them to and then blow a fuse/melt/set your house on fire.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard that Focal and the Adam T5v, and I'd take the latter picking between those two.

If you can find them used I'd get a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors, the MKII ones. I picked up a pair a few years ago for $650 on Ebay. Better than anything else I show in your tentative list when it comes to bass extension.

That being said, if you want bass and upgrade things in the future, you're really going to want room correction with MiniDSP or something similar.

The Kali Audio IN-5 is also something I'd recommend, having used them for months nearfield, and now using them as surround speakers. It's $700, so over budget, but you are getting a three way monitor with better port design and more even vertical dispersion.

Passive speaker wise, the HiVi DIY 3.1 is the way to go, I built a pair with the Sehlin mod as reviewed here, and for $300 you won't find better, though again, I highly recommend a coincident/coaxial monitor as the lobeing on two way monitors is noticeable to me depending on my ear height. If you ever plan on using things further away than nearfield, that can become more and more important, as it also helps with ceiling and floor reflections sounding more natural.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, I have to say that I am really happy that I became a part of this community.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
I have to aks, are there advantages in buying 8 inch woofer over smaller ones?

So Mackie MR824, ADAM T7V and Kali LP 8 are on my list.
An 8" can play louder and deeper than smaller woofers, so for bigger rooms this is a real advantage. On the other side it's more difficult for 2-way speakers to get good dispersion and the tweeter must handle lower frequencies as well which not all are happy about. Therefore an 8" 3-way speaker can offer better dispersion and less IMD but of course it's more expensive.

OP
S

Schubert1

Thanks, Stevenswall. Sound like a great piece of advice. Can I ask, why you liked T5V more than Focal?

oozlum

Are there any options (price-wise) in electrostatic or Planar magnetic loudspeakers?

In case headphones/IEMs would be prefer you can’t go wrong with Etymotic ER4SE (at least with chamber classical music).

Robin L

Master Contributor
Are there any options (price-wise) in electrostatic or Planar magnetic loudspeakers?

In case headphones/IEMs would be prefer you can’t go wrong with Etymotic ER4SE (at least with chamber classical music).
They would require amplification, I don't know of any loudspeakers of this sort that are within Schubert 1's budget. And he's already explained that he's used [good] headphones, they didn't work for him.

jcarys

Take it with a grain of salt, since I haven't heard these yet, they are new. PSB's new active speakers are the AM3 at $400 and the AM5 at $600, so on either side of your budget. Some reviews are beginning to appear on the web now. I've come to expect good tonal response from all PSB speakers over the last 25 years or so.

OP
S

Schubert1

Oozlum, thank you for the suggestions. The problem with headphones, at least for me, was that I am used to room acoustics, being concert accordionist. Yes, fine details were amazing with headphones, but I missed the sound wall which interacts with you, so to speak.
Maybe sounds stupid, but that is my experience. Timbre of instruments was also a bit lost with headphones. :)

OP
S

Schubert1

Jcarys, I will take a closer look at PSB speakers. Sounds like a great option. :)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hello. I own the Adam Audio T7Vs. I bought purely out of interest (I like active speakers) and did not demo them or any of the brands you mention.

I have to say I really enjoy them. I play general electronic pop as well jazz and classical. For me they have plenty of volume. I only ‘broke‘ them by playing some solo piano music at a higher playback level than I normally would, this was to see how far I could push the speaker. When I say ‘break’, the music recording caused some of the speakers internal cabinet material (or maybe electronics) to resonate.

I think they offer amazing value for money!
Welcome Aboard @Alastair.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Take it with a grain of salt, since I haven't heard these yet, they are new. PSB's new active speakers are the AM3 at $400 and the AM5 at $600, so on either side of your budget. Some reviews are beginning to appear on the web now. I've come to expect good tonal response from all PSB speakers over the last 25 years or so.
Are you sure? Have you seen this review?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Hello everyone. Complete amateur when it comes to audio equipment here.

Trained musician, just looking for accurate and honest pair of studio monitors for classical music critical listening.

If you think I could get a pair of great passive speakers for that price, I am open to suggestions.

The models I read about:

Focal Alpha 65
Presonus Eris 7 xt and 8 xt
Mackie MR624 and MR824
Adam Audio T5V and T7V
Tannoy Gold 7 and 8

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to your suggestions.
Jbl305 $200 $250 for pair, rest spend it on your other half.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want accurate reproduction at this price point passive speakers aren't the right tool for the job.

OP
S

Schubert1

Thank you dmac6419. Sounds really tempting. :)

617, i figured that, but no harm in asking for opinion from more experienced members.

Thank you, as always people.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Thank you dmac6419. Sounds really tempting. :)

617, i figured that, but no harm in asking for opinion from more experienced members.

Thank you, as always people.

I had the same goals in signing up for ASR a couple years ago. Not only incredibly helpful in wrapping my head around pros and cons of different equipment, but a great bunch of folks too. I can vouch for Genelec 8020b-- though you may want a sub for low bass?

OP
S

Schubert1

Hello Blake Klondike, thank you for suggestion. Concerning subwoofer, I am not avid pipe organ listener, so I think I could survive without it, at least for the moment. :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hello Blake Klondike, thank you for suggestion. Concerning subwoofer, I am not avid pipe organ listener, so I think I could survive without it, at least for the moment. :)
Does a lot for massed celli, double basses and tympani. And a stereo system that performs well in the bottom octaves could turn you into a pipe organ aficionado.

Top Bottom