• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best studio monitor for classical music for 500$

OP
S

Schubert1

Thank you Robin. I tried HD600, HD650, AKG K501/702. I liked what I heard, just not my cup of tea. I like the atmospheric feling when room is filled with sound. :)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP doesn't specify locale.

$500 USD in the US could buy plenty, second hand...

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m an amateur enthusiast, not an expert. I’m really happy with my JBL 306P’s for classical music. I have them on my desktop with a PC and Sabaj D5 (ASR special). I found the best sound quality with the input selector set at +4dBu. I set the output volume at 5, because sitting so close, I just don’t need more, and it helps reduce this hiss.
I expect that with local taxes and import duties, a convenient rule of thumb is to go JBL if in USA, and Genelec or Neumann if in Europe, Yamaha in Asia. I don’t know what’s best for Canada, Mexico, Central or South America, or the rest of the world. Some places are probably relatively expensive no matter what you do, but the more local the company is, the less it should cost to get the product to you.

OP
S

Schubert1

Thank you guys. I live in Germany, should have specified that I mean 500€. :) I suppose I could find used gear on Ebay Kleinanzeigen or normal Ebay.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I’m an amateur enthusiast, not an expert. I’m really happy with my JBL 306P’s for classical music. I have them on my desktop with a PC and Sabaj D5 (ASR special). I found the best sound quality with the input selector set at +4dBu. I set the output volume at 5, because sitting so close, I just don’t need more, and it helps reduce this hiss.
I expect that with local taxes and import duties, a convenient rule of thumb is to go JBL if in USA, and Genelec or Neumann if in Europe, Yamaha in Asia. I don’t know what’s best for Canada, Mexico, Central or South America, or the rest of the world. Some places are probably relatively expensive no matter what you do, but the more local the company is, the less it should cost to get the product to you.
(1) JBL 306P MK II Review (Studio Monitor) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you guys. I live in Germany, should have specified that I mean 500€. :) I suppose I could find used gear on Ebay Kleinanzeigen or normal Ebay.
I may have something for you:
  • JBL LSR 2325, the predecessor of the 305. My wife used them for several years and chose them over many other speakers in the shop because of the sound with classical music. Actually she compared all speakers in the shop with the big K&H O410s (because she is used to the O300D in our living room) and the small JBLs were the only which came close. Now she uses Genelecs and is ready to part with the JBLs.
  • Mackie HR824. They sound accurate and tonality is not far from my O300Ds but the soundstage is wider but not as precise than the O300Ds. From what you wrote you like they could be perfect for your medium sized room. I inherited them from a late colleague and would be glad to sell them to someone enthusiastic with music.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Highly recommend Adam, JBL and Kali. I'd personally say avoid Presonus, Tannoy and Yamaha. Mackie I have not seen measurements of.

For classical without subwoofer use I would get a JBL 308p mkii or Kali LP-8. The Adam offerings are also quite good.

Basically, everything made by JBL, Kali and Adam has measured well here on ASR (as well as Neuman and Genelec).

Alastair

Hello everyone. Complete amateur when it comes to audio equipment here.

Trained musician, just looking for accurate and honest pair of studio monitors for classical music critical listening.

If you think I could get a pair of great passive speakers for that price, I am open to suggestions.

The models I read about:

Focal Alpha 65
Presonus Eris 7 xt and 8 xt
Mackie MR624 and MR824
Adam Audio T5V and T7V
Tannoy Gold 7 and 8

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to your suggestions.

Hello. I own the Adam Audio T7Vs. I bought purely out of interest (I like active speakers) and did not demo them or any of the brands you mention.

I have to say I really enjoy them. I play general electronic pop as well jazz and classical. For me they have plenty of volume. I only ‘broke‘ them by playing some solo piano music at a higher playback level than I normally would, this was to see how far I could push the speaker. When I say ‘break’, the music recording caused some of the speakers internal cabinet material (or maybe electronics) to resonate.

I think they offer amazing value for money!

OP
S

Schubert1

Guys, I have to say that I am really happy that I became a part of this community.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
I have to aks, are there advantages in buying 8 inch woofer over smaller ones?

So Mackie MR824, ADAM T7V and Kali LP 8 are on my list.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Guys, I have to say that I am really happy that I became a part of this community.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
I have to aks, are there advantages in buying 8 inch woofer over smaller ones?

So Mackie MR824, ADAM T7V and Kali LP 8 are on my list.
Volume and bass.

DSJR

Major Contributor
A nearly fifty year old design, and the only speaker to displace Quad ESLs from our system.
Not my advert, but I'm totally biased, and still in love with a £20 pair of these I found in a secondhand shop many moons ago; (& yes, having dealer connections allowed me to hear plenty of speakers up until circa 2010. Maybe there was a great leap forward starting 2011? In which case please ignore my nonsense :))
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333925009422?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g=I333925009422.N36.S2.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R2.TR2

Oh Gawd, on anything percussive or plucked in the bass, DM2/2A had an indistinct bass but the mids and highs were always good as per the HF1300/Coles pairing over various models. For me, the KEF 104ab was the one back then, although I originally went with Spendor Bc1's, accepting the low bass 'honk' they exhibit. BC1's are a collectors item and a minefield, but better than Quad 57's overall (oh yess indeedy 0 done the comparison many times).

Surely today, a smaller active set can be set up and balanced to sound real on voice and string tone?

Loathecliff

Oh Gawd, on anything percussive or plucked in the bass, DM2/2A had an indistinct bass but the mids and highs were always good as per the HF1300/Coles pairing over various models. For me, the KEF 104ab was the one back then, although I originally went with Spendor Bc1's, accepting the low bass 'honk' they exhibit. BC1's are a collectors item and a minefield, but better than Quad 57's overall (oh yess indeedy 0 done the comparison many times).

Surely today, a smaller active set can be set up and balanced to sound real on voice and string tone?
Odd isn't? It's the DM2's bass qualities that I like so much. Fast, deep and effortless, as a good TL should be.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bucking the trend, Canton Karat 40.
Nice midrange detail.

Surprising efficiency. Decent dynamic response.
They'll need HF eq - they have excessive energy "up top".

OP
S

Schubert1

I was on the werge of buying Karat 40, but this active monitor idea got the best of me. :)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That's my "test tone" as well. If upright Bass sounds close, most of what I can still hear will, too.

There's no replacement for displacement. Any smaller driver will require longer excursion (and amplification) to do what larger drivers manage with ease.

My JBL 708p have a measly 8" woofer driven by a sufficient 250 W amp.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Thank you Robin. 8 inch it is! :)
Volume and bass, yes, but generally worse directivity matching at the crossover to the tweeter.

No free lunch.

Pick a speaker that measures well, and buy a pair from a vendor that allows returns after a trial period. If you like the sound, great. If not, return and try another speaker.

OP
S

Schubert1

Thanks guys. I would like to ask, how durable are powered speakers? I mean, are built-in amps generally reliable?

Top Bottom