• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best microphone preamp to USB converter under US$500

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

I'm looking for the best A-to-D converter under US$500

I really only need mic pre to USB but it's obviously fine if it features balanced in and out even though I won't use those (like found in many pro interfaces).

So far on my list:

- Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen3
- Focusrite 2i2 Gen3
- Motu M2

Any other good options or is it pretty much 'toss of a coin' with these 3?

I'm assuming Scarlett Solo Gen3 and 2i2 Gen3 measure same

Latest SINAD chart for ADCs (taken from Black Lion ADC since it's most recent measured):

1619776692275.png

Last edited:

paolomo

Forum Donor
Hi all

I'm looking for the best A-to-D converter under US$500

I really only need mic pre to USB but it's obviously fine if it features balanced in and out even though I won't use those (like found in many pro interfaces).

So far on my list:

- Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen3
- Motu M2

Any other good options or is it pretty much 'toss of a coin' with these 2?

I'm assuming Scarlett Solo Gen3 and 2i2 Gen3 measure same

Latest SINAD chart for ADCs (taken from Black Lion ADC since it's most recent measured):
2i2 and Solo should measure "the same". In fact Julian Krause measured both, and the Solo he tested was ever so slightly better than the 2i2 (IIRC), but nothing to write home about. Check his YouTube channel out, he tests all interfaces under $200 and some of the more expensive ones.

I have owned the Solo 3rd Gen and the M2. I returned the M2 because my unit was defective and I went back to my trusty Solo, which I don't plan on replacing anymore. The M2 gives you a few extra dB (which might turn useful with certain dynamic microphones) and a slightly better headphone amplifier. It also costs twice, of course.

Both drive the ubiquitous Shure SM58 pretty well. I use an in-line preamp with my Solo, but it is not necessary if you speak normally and you boost in post.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
@Julian Krause ? Love your YouTube reviews with measurements.

Do you have a ranking of best mic pre to USB measurements?

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
2i2 and Solo should measure "the same". In fact Julian Krause measured both, and the Solo he tested was ever so slightly better than the 2i2 (IIRC), but nothing to write home about. Check his YouTube channel out, he tests all interfaces under $200 and some of the more expensive ones.

I have owned the Solo 3rd Gen and the M2. I returned the M2 because my unit was defective and I went back to my trusty Solo, which I don't plan on replacing anymore. The M2 gives you a few extra dB (which might turn useful with certain dynamic microphones) and a slightly better headphone amplifier. It also costs twice, of course.

Both drive the ubiquitous Shure SM58 pretty well. I use an in-line preamp with my Solo, but it is not necessary if you speak normally and you boost in post.

Thanks, I'm also looking at his Clarett 2Pre measurements to see if it's worth stretching my budget a little.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
That's a higher end product, I'm sure it would work. If you're on a tighter budget, did you consider the SSL 2+?

Thanks yes that's why I mentioned I may stretch my budget (I've seen the price).

I will look at SSL 2+ - thanks!

But looking at these 2 charts it looks like Audient ID4 Mk2 measures favourably ! And in budget

And these are mic input specific which is all I'm interested in

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 6.30.17 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 6.30.57 pm.png

Reactions: Pio
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
There are many great options. If I were you, I would choose the one that looks prettier :D

EVO 4 was winning the race ( looks, performance and price) but I like having visual clipping indicator and EVO 4 doesn't seem to have.

It has 'Smart Gain' to avoid clipping I guess, so I could trust that.

I will be using this for room correction (I already have XLR measurement calibrated mic), so 'Smart Gain' should work pretty accurately since I'm playing constant level sweeps.

3125b

Major Contributor
Have a look at the new Audient iD(1)4 MKII also, they feature a reasonably powerful headphone amp as well.
The Motu M4 has a better ADC than the M2, more in- and outputs for only 50€ more,might be a consideration as well.

narx

If you're patient you can probably find a used Babyface Pro (non-FS) for <$500. I got a brand new one for right around that shortly before they released the FS. $500 may be more than you need to spend for your use case though.

Since you're only using it for room sweeps, it seems like the frequency response would be a more important spec than the SINAD, no? I'd think that the SINAD of any of the devices you're looking at would be adequate.

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
When you say "mic pre to usb" do you mean that you're looking to take signal from your standalone mic pre and convert it to digital? Or do you mean you want an interface with a built-in mic preamp?

Hi, I'm looking for a box that has mic input and USB output.

If I had a larger budget Babyface Pro FS would be as good as it gets - its right up there in the SINAD chart I showed above. It has better jitter performance than non-FS I believe.

But a SINAD of 100dB is sufficient for my needs.

Unless there's something out there objectively better than Audient EVO 4 and Focusrite Solo Gen3 for similar budget , I'll probably decide between one of those.

Since you're only using it for room sweeps, it seems like the frequency response would be a more important spec than the SINAD, no? I'd think that the SINAD of any of the devices you're using would be adequate.

This is a good point. I'll review Julians measurements at frequency responses.

Low noise and distortion and good bandwidth would all be important.

Top Bottom