• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best dongles out there for HD600?

Montezuma

I love using my Apple dongle as a DAC/Amp, but the problem is that it's barely able to drive my HD600 (still a bit less than what I want), and it's also more or less unusable on Android devices.

Does anybody know of a good dongle-sized alternative to it that can drive output a bit more power and still have perform as well/better for a good price? Something similar to what the original Meizu HiFi Audio Pro?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I love using my Apple dongle as a DAC/Amp, but the problem is that it's barely able to drive my HD600 (still a bit less than what I want), and it's also more or less unusable on Android devices.

Does anybody know of a good dongle-sized alternative to it that can drive output a bit more power and still have perform as well/better for a good price? Something similar to what the original Meizu HiFi Audio Pro?
Not sure what the current offers are but if still available the TempoTec sonata HD pro should do the trick.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

Montezuma

Any way to make it so I control the volume through software only?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know you can on USB audio player Pro on android. Don't know about other set ups

Wicky

Perhaps the Shanling UA1S? rated at 80MW@32Ω, should have enough juice, ships for about $50 USD

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can't disable the Sonata HD Pro's hardware volume buttons.

If you're currently using the EU version of Apple's headphone dongle, then you can get a considerable boost in volume (+50%) by buying the US version from eBay.

and it's also more or less unusable on Android devices.
You can fix this like so: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...luetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/post-1302123

OP
M

Montezuma

If you're currently using the EU version of Apple's headphone dongle, then you can get a considerable boost in volume (+50%) by buying the US version from eBay.

You can fix this like so: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...luetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/post-1302123
I've imported the US version. It's still not as loud as I want it on my HD600 and R70X (the latter after EQing it), when plugged into a PC.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But you can control playback volume without using the SHD volume buttons (or hardware volume generally). Well, I can in uapp if I select software volume control.

In other words, find the optimum max volume on the shd buttons then do fine control during listening with software vol.

OP
M

Montezuma

Moondrop Dawn looks interesting. Anybody know if it performs well?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you know if running a balanced 2.5mm-4.4mm will be of any issue? Or even 3.5mm to 4.4mm?
you can plug balanced headphones into single-ended Amps via an adapter
you can't plug single-ended headphones into balanced Amps via an adapter. You'll kill the Amp.

OP
M

Montezuma

What about balanced to balanced? My HD600 cables has a 2.5mm connector. Can I add 4.4mm adapter to it and connect into a balanced amp?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about balanced to balanced? My HD600 cables has a 2.5mm connector. Can I add 4.4mm adapter to it and connect into a balanced amp?
Definitely yes.

NexusOne

Hello,

actually i am also looking for a good mobile dac/amplifier dongle and I hope you can help me. I use a iphone and I only need a 3,5 mm output and usb-c in. Which of them is the best choice? Do you know which of them is neutral and not warm?

Violectric Chronos, Cayin Ru-6, Razer Thx Onyx, Ifi Go bar, Ibasso Dc03

I can't decide between Ibasso Dc03 and Ifi Go bar. Ifi is more expensive with much more power and some features but for a Focal Clear the Ibasso could reach? Headphones like the HD600 or R70x could need more. The Chronos is weak and for IEMs and the Onyx should sound worse than the Ibasso. Which of them would you choose?

Miguelón

Hello,

actually i am also looking for a good mobile dac/amplifier dongle and I hope you can help me. I use a iphone and I only need a 3,5 mm output and usb-c in. Which of them is the best choice? Do you know which of them is neutral and not warm?

Violectric Chronos, Cayin Ru-6, Razer Thx Onyx, Ifi Go bar, Ibasso Dc03

I can't decide between Ibasso Dc03 and Ifi Go bar. Ifi is more expensive with much more power and some features but for a Focal Clear the Ibasso could reach? Headphones like the HD600 or R70x could need more. The Chronos is weak and for IEMs and the Onyx should sound worse than the Ibasso. Which of them would you choose?
Which one did you finally get?

Top Bottom