• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC for I2S input

MacCali

Major Contributor
Just got my Pi2AES setup, running I2S. Everything is great, this is one damn good music streamer. I am extremely impressed, but so far no issues with I2S. Nor as mentioned earlier, do I accredit how impressive the music is to I2S. Cant wait until tomorrow when I can crank the music:)

avoidwork

Yes and no.
I2S is absolutely standardized with an option for the master clock, but we're talking purely about the internal I2S connection. With over 30 DAC boards, more than 8 USB boards / interfaces and AK4118 / AK4137 boards, I have never had any functional problems.

But we're talking about external I2S in connection with the industry standard LVDS (which is not tied to plugs or connections), the world's leading standard for external lossless cable transmission over short distances from Inter-IC applications. Incidentally, many devices at home also use LVDS (computers / laptops, monitors, televisions, data storage systems, etc.).
And there is the crux of the matter, no one has ever taken care of a standard, so the manufacturers have their own assignment.
That an HDMI cable is used for transmission is more of a coincidence, but above all it was available and cheap (plugs, sockets, cables). The transmitted signal has nothing to do with HDMI.

There are approx. 4 standard assignments via HDMI plugs that can be set for USB interfaces / sources (e.g. Topping U90, Singxer, Matrix, Gustard etc.).
Many keep crying that there is no standard.
If a manufacturer uses its own assignment of the HDMI connector, then he does not want his device to be compatible with other devices via this connection or to be used. That is the decision of this manufacturer, even if you can handle it with a special cable.

The transmission of I2S using LVDS is also superior to all other types of transmission (AES, SPDIF, optical), including USB (who came up with the idea of laying a very dirty power supply within the shielding of a 2-wire data line?).
So if you have a source device that outputs the digital audio data directly as I2S / LVDS and the cable path is less than 1-2 meters, then it is the technically best and simplest solution. E.g. with the internal tapping of the I2S signal in a CD player and connection via an I2S / LVDS HDMI converter.
Now comes the biggest BUT, there are currently only a few real source devices with an I2S interface.

However, if you do not notice any difference in sound between the various connections (this is also my experience, not always, but often), it does not matter in the end.
Very true. I look at LVDS for headfi as an interesting experiement, but when we get into magical differences my eyes gloss over. Beyond the diff pinouts & device config, I honestly can't see how it's a consideration when a usb cable plugs in so easily.

smsl-vmv-d3-connections.png

MacCali

Major Contributor
Did the Pi2AES to D70s via I2S work?
Yup, plus should work with all Gustard dacs too. Must check the pin layout of the i2s as well, I believe as mentioned above there’s no universal standard

navin

Yup, plus should work with all Gustard dacs too. Must check the pin layout of the i2s as well, I believe as mentioned above there’s no universal standard
That's why I asked. I know there is no universal standard and that Micheal Kelly had mostly considered PS Audio's and Gustard's pin configuration during the design of the Pi2AES.

MacCali

Major Contributor
That's why I asked. I know there is no universal standard and that Micheal Kelly had mostly considered PS Audio's and Gustard's pin configuration during the design of the Pi2AES.
No one mentioned that to me, I had to check all the pin layouts on all the equipment and cable to make sure there would be no issues.

I’m certain that it would be a disagreement here that the i2s is what is making my system so clean. I have not tried any of the other outputs on the pi2. Whatever it is that streamer is by far the greatest audible leap in performance to my system on virtually every aspect at an insane price point.

I also bought the volumio primo for my living room since it has usb out on a streamer. Currently using it with its internal dac ESS. It’s fairly nice too, I need to try it on my main system to see if I can get an equal performance but I doubt it. Though it would still be stellar vs my pc to eitr

dartinbout

Most can do DSD512 I think, for 1024 you need I2S. If that is your use case sure, use I2S, just don't expect it be better than USB in general.
I can get DSD1024 out of my DX7 Pro using a https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/ktesu2/ . I obviously had more money they sense at the time but this was before I discovered ASR.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I can get DSD1024 out of my DX7 Pro using a https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/ktesu2/ . I obviously had more money they sense at the time but this was before I discovered ASR.
That one I believe is the worth it for DSD. But not lower sampling rates, the regular su6 or whatever it is has better measurements for lower sample rates.

I would of bought that, was looking at it. But the Pi2AES is bit perfect. No point in adding a higher quality clock. That’s the consensus I got.

Top Bottom