• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best budget headphone

davidebond

Hi. I know that I ought try a headphone, but I have not this possibility. Then, I am asking this you a suggestion. I owned for the most part Sennheiser, but I am open to change brand. I listen only too Classical music. In particular, a part Beethoven and Bach, Wagner, Mahler, Debussy the Scandinavian musicians, the music between the 19th and the 20th century, the new Vienna school, and the piano, my instrument.

I cannot spend a lot, otherwise I would purchase the most expensive headphone by Sennheiser.

Thanks in any case.

Best,

Davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks. Yes it is a good choice, but I cannot spend this money.

Best,

Davide

JGeez

I too listen to mostly classical music and there are very good affordable choices -- Massdrop X HD 6xx ($199) and the Sennheiser HD 560 S ($148.50). If you wanted to go higher, then the HIFIMAN Edition XS ($500). All of these are good for classical music. I do EQ all of them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi. I know that I ought try a headphone, but I have not this possibility. Then, I am asking this you a suggestion. I owned for the most part Sennheiser, but I am open to change brand. I listen only too Classical music. In particular, a part Beethoven and Bach, Wagner, Mahler, Debussy the Scandinavian musicians, the music between the 19th and the 20th century, the new Vienna school, and the piano, my instrument.

I cannot spend a lot, otherwise I would purchase the most expensive headphone by Sennheiser.

Thanks in any case.

Best,

Davide

budget ?
open, closed ?
2nd hand an option ?
On-ear, over-ear, in-ear ?
Wired or wireless ?
Big or small head ?
Big or protruding ears ?
directly driven from what equipment ?
Does it have to go loud every now and then ?
Longevity, support, availability of pads ?
Replaceable cable ?

There is no 'best' budget headphone. There are quite a few good ones in every price bracket depending on the above criteria.

Last edited:
OP
davidebond

davidebond

Yes. @Marc v E has right. I use a Topping dx3 pro with jds lab amp. I prefer open headphones because the closed ones are a little hard to wear with long cd.

Thanks,

Davide

P.S. Sennheiser HD 599 have a nice price. I have a hd 490.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Yes. @Marc v E has right. I use a Topping dx3 pro with jds lab amp. I prefer open headphones because the closed ones are a little hard to wear with long cd.

Thanks,

Davide

P.S. Sennheiser HD 599 have a nice price. I have a hd 490.

I prefer new headphone, not used. At most, refurbished.

Best,

Davide

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For classical I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic dt880 250 ohm or Hifiman he5xx. The Sennheiser 598 is good too.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So open over-ear between €100 and €180 it seems ?

HD560S, HE400SE, X2HR, DT880, HD58X, HD6XX, K612 are safest bets.

When you want really cheap (€ 60.-) and since you are in Europe you could consider a modified HE35X I have for sale. I bought a bunch of those and modified them and have only left. New in box but modified and tested.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I have the Sennheiser HD650 that I consider to be among the best around that price. Iirc the newer version is available for about 160 to 190 via Drop. Not sure if that is for US only or also applies to the EU (where I live).

The Hd650 has a really good frequency response out of the box (without eq) which is pretty rare. Imo the 650 has sound to die for in details and realism. The only negative is that it sounds slightly dark (instead of sparkling), but you'll not notice it when listening to classical music ime and imo. There it gives good 'body' to the sound. What I mean by that is that it doesn't sound thin and bright but full bodied, with power and bass and realistic wood instruments; and brass (like trumpet) that never sounds shrill or tiring.

In short: they have a sound that is brilliant for classical music, long listening hours and high comfort.

Btw: to put the performance into perspective, it takes 5000 to 8000 euro speakers to match in in performance imo. I will probably get some comments about this statement, but this is really what I have experienced.

Last edited:
OP
davidebond

davidebond

Cheap no. I am not a bird... Sorry for the silly gag. I would a round and detailed sound in any section of the orchestra. For example, I would hear clearly the first bars of Ravel's piano concerto for the left hand. The pedale of basses, the flowing figures of the celli and the Contrabassoon. Or the beginning of Ravel's la valse, or Wagner's Rheingold. And the second movement of Mahler 2? But I would hear also the energy of Listz Études, ecc.

Yes. The range 100 - 200 $ is good.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

To @Marc v E. Yes. I believe it. But in Italy they costs around 350 euro. Out of budget. I spent too much last month. I must spare...

Thanks,

Davide

staticV3

Master Contributor
Btw: to put the performance into perspective, it takes 5000 to 8000 euro speakers to match in in performance imo.
it takes $5 IEMs plus some free EQ to match and exceed the performance of my HD650 imo
:)

staticV3

Master Contributor
the tips that came with it are my all-time favorite tips that I use everywhere :D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the tips that came with it are my all-time favorite tips that I use everywhere :D
Go on, share the wealth.

Dont say Sony MH750/755 unless you have a solid source ;-)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OP is looking for open over-ears though....
There aren't any good ones around for € 5 to € 10.-

Koss KSC75 and Superlux HD681(with some mods) are some of the 'better' budget open headphones, well.... the KSC is on-ear and both in the € 20.- range.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
it takes $5 IEMs plus some free EQ to match and exceed the performance of my HD650 imo
:)
50 euro in ear monitors ime: the Truthear Zero. =
190-399 euros Sennheiser HD650

Those are better imo than the B&O Beolab 9 or 20. Both 7000 euros. Equal to the Beolab 5 at 19000 euros. Better than any B&W monitor; better than any other hifi speaker I ever experienced. Except for the Genelec 8351a which is better in clarity and realism imo, priced at 8000.

That's in highlights how price translates between in ears, headphones and speakers ime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom