• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Balanced Output Phono Stage

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The best commercial product out there is the unattainable and kind of ugly Boulder 2108 at $52k (Stereophile measurements).

The most practical would probably be either the Halfer PH50B at $450 or ELAC Alchemy PPA-2 at $1250. Specs seem pretty good, although ELAC has no details on the rumble filter. Both seem discontinued unfortunately.

Any other suggestions for MM phono stages with RCA inputs, balanced outputs and rumble filter?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The best commercial product out there is the unattainable and kind of ugly Boulder 2108 at $52k (Stereophile measurements).

The most practical would probably be either the Halfer PH50B at $450 or ELAC Alchemy PPA-2 at $1250. Specs seem pretty good, although ELAC has no details on the rumble filter. Both seem discontinued unfortunately.

Any other suggestions for MM phono stages with RCA inputs, balanced outputs and rumble filter?
How about Parks Puffin with digital output to a balanced DAC?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

audiopile

I own and use the Parasound JC-3 jr and the ELAC PPA-2 - both have balanced outputs and while they certainly don't sound alike - have a similar feature set in terms of adjust ability. I find the fact that you can hook up two turntables /arms to the ELAC is pretty handy -mainly use the PPA-2 for MM carts -one input is set up for lowest capacitance -the other for higher capacitance carts via y-plug and DB systems cap plugs. I own and use two Puffins -one with SPDIF out -the other with optical toslink. My speakers are Meridian DSP-5000 -so -the Puffins allow me to go straight into my speakers. At any rate -the Puffins are pretty impressive -for about half the dollars the Parasound or ELAC will cost you. And the adjust ability of the Puffin is really impressive -very useful as a test instrument above and beyond the ability to make music (or is that let music thru ?) .

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I own and use the Parasound JC-3 jr and the ELAC PPA-2 - both have balanced outputs and while they certainly don't sound alike - have a similar feature set in terms of adjust ability. I find the fact that you can hook up two turntables /arms to the ELAC is pretty handy -mainly use the PPA-2 for MM carts -one input is set up for lowest capacitance -the other for higher capacitance carts via y-plug and DB systems cap plugs. I own and use two Puffins -one with SPDIF out -the other with optical toslink. My speakers are Meridian DSP-5000 -so -the Puffins allow me to go straight into my speakers. At any rate -the Puffins are pretty impressive -for about half the dollars the Parasound or ELAC will cost you. And the adjust ability of the Puffin is really impressive -very useful as a test instrument above and beyond the ability to make music (or is that let music thru ?) .
The PPA2 has been on my radar a while. I like that it has both a signal and chassis ground and a lot of customizability. Nothing like the Puffin, of course.

Tom C

Major Contributor
The PPA2 has been on my radar a while. I like that it has both a signal and chassis ground and a lot of customizability. Nothing like the Puffin, of course.
Please let us know what you eventually pull the trigger on.

audiopile

I don't know what to make of the double grounds on the ELAC PPA-2 -really do like having two places to ground phono inputs to.but: The last time I had the PPA-2 out of the rack I tried to figure out the difference between the two ground posts ? Far as I could tell they are bonded/common to each other -only difference I could find with my ohmeter was the letterer on the back panel. Will pull the cover next time I have it out .

nothingman

I feel like a shill since I’ve brought it up a couple times, but the Parasound Zphono XRM is a great value in my book. Especially since they just dropped the price from $600 to $500. Has just about everything someone could ask for, and measures well (Aussie review reprinted by WhatHiFi).

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I don't know what to make of the double grounds on the ELAC PPA-2 -really do like having two places to ground phono inputs to.but: The last time I had the PPA-2 out of the rack I tried to figure out the difference between the two ground posts ? Far as I could tell they are bonded/common to each other -only difference I could find with my ohmeter was the letterer on the back panel. Will pull the cover next time I have it out .
They are isolated from each other.

There are three ways of grounding a turntable as far as I know. Through a three prong power cord, the audio cable or the chassis. I think the most common setup is to have the signal ground bonded to the turntable's chassis ground and then connected to the chassis of the preamp through a ground wire.

The PPA2 lets you isolate the chassis from the signal ground, if they are already separate in your turntable and you have both tonearm ground and plinth/motor ground wires.

I think that's it anyway.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
iFi Zen phono also has balanced output, I have one and I like it a lot.
Are you sure? https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-phono/
1633992155096.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
and I see a (strange) balanced output on the far left.

Looks like a pentaconn to me. (4.4mm). So likely balanced.

But is the input balanced? Or are the RCAs on a common ground and only the output is driven balanced/bridged?

MRC01

Major Contributor
The DACT CT-100 is a great well engineered phono stage. Clean, low noise even at high gain, accurate RIAA, incredibly flexible with DIP switch settings for a wide range of gain and cartridge loading. And it can be wired for SE or balanced. I used one for 15+ years.
The only drawback is it's DIY. Maybe that's an advantage for some people? It's a pretty easy build. It comes as a circuit board. You provide a box, wire it up and give it power. For power I used a pair of 12 V rechargeable batteries. Mine looked like this.

kokoon

Forum Donor
Looks like a pentaconn to me. (4.4mm). So likely balanced.

But is the input balanced? Or are the RCAs on a common ground and only the output is driven balanced/bridged?
Yes, that's a 4.4mm pentaconn. Input isn't balanced, just the output. Isn't that what the OP is asking for?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Yes, that's a 4.4mm pentaconn. Input isn't balanced, just the output. Isn't that what the OP is asking for?
It is. I don't know of any turntables that have been wired to output balanced commercially, without aftermarket mods. Certainly not mine.

I wonder if anyone uses the pentacon on the iFi.

kokoon

Forum Donor
It is. I don't know of any turntables that have been wired to output balanced commercially, without aftermarket mods. Certainly not mine.

I wonder if anyone uses the pentacon on the iFi.
I'm using it, made my own cable to plug it into miniDSP SHD's XLR inputs. I even did some measurements at some point, balanced connection brought the level noise down noticeably.

Top Bottom