• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

best audio streamer for amazon music HD

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An HDMI audio extractor from HDMI on a Cube v2 will give you Hi-Res via Toslink or coax (if you get one with coax).
Will the Amazon Music app on my phone use that as a renderer?

If so, does the playlist belong to and the streaming proceed from the cube? e.g. does the playlist continue playing if the phone goes away?

Bamyasi

Will the Amazon Music app on my phone use that as a renderer?
As far as I know, Cube is just a souped up FireStick and the only renderer available on the FireStick OS is Alexa. Alexa Cast does not support lossless streaming at all, only SD (lossy) quality streams. So the answer to your question is no, you cannot stream from your phone to the Cube in HD/UltraHD quality.
If so, does the playlist belong to and the streaming proceed from the cube? e.g. does the playlist continue playing if the phone goes away?
Playlists are synced across all Amazon devices registered for the same account. However, SQ restrictions apply when you are not using app on the same device for playback, see above.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Have any of you considered Denon’s separate HEOS link? Sells for 350 and streams amazon ultra HD 24/192 using HEOS app.

Aldoszx

I am in the same boat, searching for a best way to stream Amazon Music HD to ROON ecosystem.
Until now, apart of running Amazon Music app on PC, a temporary solution is to use an Android phone and stream via bluetooth to D50s DAC which supports LDAC at max 24/96.
It is more than nothing but I'm still looking for a way to integrate Amazon Music to ROON.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in the same boat, searching for a best way to stream Amazon Music HD to ROON ecosystem.
Until now, apart of running Amazon Music app on PC, a temporary solution is to use an Android phone and stream via bluetooth to D50s DAC which supports LDAC at max 24/96.
It is more than nothing but I'm still looking for a way to integrate Amazon Music to ROON.
I dont think you can. With Roon I was tied to Qobuz or Tidal for streaming. Its not a Roon thing per se, Amazon (and Spotify) tightly control what can access the front ends of their systems. And presumably Roon arent keen on 3rd parties building plugins for Roon that might break their platform to achieve such integration.

Aldoszx

I dont think you can. With Roon I was tied to Qobuz or Tidal for streaming. Its not a Roon thing per se, Amazon (and Spotify) tightly control what can access the front ends of their systems. And presumably Roon arent keen on 3rd parties building plugins for Roon that might break their platform to achieve such integration.
I think you're right but i hope so there will be an alternative sometimes.
I don't give up.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I gave up hoping Roon and amazon would get together. Roon needs access to amazon’s data to merge with Roon. Amazon has, as yet, no interest. I doubt there could be much profit gain for amazon. We are a pretty small market.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you're right but i hope so there will be an alternative sometimes.
I don't give up.
Well I wouldn't hold onto a Roon subscription on that basis alone. It's not going to happen.

Jyager

I am using IfI zen Stream. Love it. Was a little rough out of the box for set up but now that I’m up and running it’s actually quite amazing.

Bamyasi

I am using IfI zen Stream. Love it. Was a little rough out of the box for set up but now that I’m up and running it’s actually quite amazing.
It does not seem to support AMHD: "...native streaming from TIDAL, Spotify, Qobuz, YouTube Music, and QQ Music" or does it?

Jyager

It does not seem to support AMHD: "...native streaming from TIDAL, Spotify, Qobuz, YouTube Music, and QQ Music" or does it?
I am currently using the apple play or whatever it’s called, which is native to it. I have also used the tidal connect feature. It’s seriously amazing, and now that I’ve listened to it for a few days, I can honestly say I have never heard music like this. It’s incredible, it’s brought about so much more depth to the music. I had some noise using the coax once I switched to usb that was gone.

Aldoszx

Well I wouldn't hold onto a Roon subscription on that basis alone. It's not going to happen.
Yeah, but I am using Roon because I like it. I also have Tidal subscription.

quattr0

I am currently using the apple play or whatever it’s called, which is native to it. I have also used the tidal connect feature. It’s seriously amazing, and now that I’ve listened to it for a few days, I can honestly say I have never heard music like this. It’s incredible, it’s brought about so much more depth to the music. I had some noise using the coax once I switched to usb that was gone.

Not sure if you have own Raspberry Pi before? I couldn't tell any difference when listening to Tidal using both Pi4 USB out and Zen Stream USB out. I did some quick measurements and do see that the noise level, THD% and dynamic range on the Zen Stream a tad better which is obvious because it is a single board with a few goodies add on to achieve the current state. But when listening both from my RME DAC or the Lyngdorf tdai-3400 to the Focal Aria 926 speakers, I couldn't tell any diff. As matter fact, my zen stream is for sale if anyone is interested. It's definitely more convenient than Pi4 for those who can't put one together.

mrdrewk

I use a raspberrypi and Moode. Their thread suggests using Apple Airplay to get lossless. I’d still prefer a proper cast function. No traction there yet?

I use the Amazon Input to stream. Wonder if it can stream in HD if I have subscription to Amazon HD ?
Yes and no. It’s quite deceptive. It will stream from the HD service but not actually in HD/Ultra. I personally am confused as to why Amazon is offering such a service but none of their devices, except for phones/tables are truly hi res streaming capable.

Aldoszx

Trying to find a way to integrate Amazon HD, I am now trying the following workaround:

Amazon Music app >>Virtual Audio Cable>>FFmpeg script >> Icecast (Roon Entrypoints extension) >> Roon Live radio station

It is working like that, but have to test it more.

I am also trying to use Liquidsoap as streamer for Icecast but I don't figure out the syntax for using Virtual Audio Cable as input under Windows.
Maybe someone could help with that !
If you have experience with liquidsoap, please give me a hand.

jevchance

Have any of you considered Denon’s separate HEOS link? Sells for 350 and streams amazon ultra HD 24/192 using HEOS app.
I am using a HEOS lLink HS2 for Amazon HD streaming. It does stream at 24/192. There are a few minor annoyances:
  • The HEOS app is subjectively bad, but useable.
  • The HEOS Link appears as a speaker you can stream to in the Amazon Music app, however, when you stream this way it limits you to CD quality. You have to use the HEOS app to get HD. That being said, CD quality sounds very good.
  • When I queue up a song it sometimes clips off about the first second. It usually plays playlists/stations just fine, not sure why it does this only on the first selection.
Overall though I'm pretty happy with it. I've considered picking up a Bluesound Node but the onboard DAC is supposedly pretty bad and I don't really want to buy 2 devices.

I am using a HEOS lLink HS2 for Amazon HD streaming. It does stream at 24/192. There are a few minor annoyances:
  • The HEOS app is subjectively bad, but useable.
  • The HEOS Link appears as a speaker you can stream to in the Amazon Music app, however, when you stream this way it limits you to CD quality. You have to use the HEOS app to get HD. That being said, CD quality sounds very good.
  • When I queue up a song it sometimes clips off about the first second. It usually plays playlists/stations just fine, not sure why it does this only on the first selection.
Overall though I'm pretty happy with it. I've considered picking up a Bluesound Node but the onboard DAC is supposedly pretty bad and I don't really want to buy 2 devices.
I was in a similar boat. I already had an AV receiver and didn’t want to purchase a new one for just that feature. Since I already had an external DAC (Denafrips Ares II) I decided to go with the Bluesound Node 2 as it would be more future compatible (I hope!!).

Your arrangement sounds like a decent one.

jevchance

I'm hearing good things about the Wiim Mini and upcoming Wiim Pro. I have my bases covered or I would pull the trigger on one.

Top Bottom