• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Android TV player for USB audio output for Nvidia Shield?

OP
dosifey

dosifey

Bummer.

I suspect Plex does the same?
I don't like Plex so I disabled it... If someone reports USB audio passthrough on Plex please post here.

UPDATE: Shield 9.1 software just arrived! Let's see if there are any chages there! No, no new settings or drivers in that regard. There are some new sound normalisation settings (AKA night mode etc) but non USB Audio related.

Last edited:
OP
dosifey

dosifey

To be honest, I do not think there ever will be a solution to this problem because the problem itself is so niche.
The only solution I see is just to use the "high" setting on the USB audio, a DAC capable of 384 Khz or more, and analogue speakers.
At least then it will not be downsampling anything, rather upsampling.

Feyire

I doubt that will happen. Unless nvidia does it
Indeed, you will have to wait for Nvidia to do at least two things:
  1. Make a Android 14 TV release available for the Shield
  2. Implement support for the lossless USB functionality
Always good to show interest already, by sending them an e-mail and enquiring about it.

OP
dosifey

dosifey

I think the easiest way to resolve it is just to use a micro tower PC in place of a Shield and run your media players on Windows. Then there are plenty of options and flexibility. I regularly want to replace my Shield with that and give it a go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom