• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark HPA4 based on THX AAA Amplifier

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean their remote doesn't have discrete input button? And they only have next / previous input only ?

This is very inconvenient....

The remote has discrete input buttons but it is intended to run paired with a Benchmark DAC. There is currently no support for discrete input selections when not using a DAC3/DAC2. It is inconvenient. It is documented but not obvious, especially to a customer that also purchases the $100 remote.

- Rich

laidick

Forum Donor
The remote has discrete input buttons but it is intended to run paired with a Benchmark DAC. There is currently no support for discrete input selections when not using a DAC3/DAC2. It is inconvenient. It is documented but not obvious, especially to a customer that also purchases the $100 remote.

- Rich

I am using Logitech harmony actually, does that mean I don't need to purchase remote ?it sounds weird that the discrete input has to be combo with it's own DAC.... Which is sad.

However, I believe a LA4 + 2* AHB2 mono would be an end game for at least 10years....
I am going to find a demo in Hong Kong.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using Logitech harmony actually, does that mean I don't need to purchase remote ?it sounds weird that the discrete input has to be combo with it's own DAC.... Which is sad.

However, I believe a LA4 + 2* AHB2 mono would be an end game for at least 10years....
I am going to find a demo in Hong Kong.

You do not need to purchase the remote the Harmony has support for all remote functions. I did not purchase one either.
The performance is outstanding. Discrete input support (without DACx) would be a WONDERFUL addition :)

- Rich

laidick

Forum Donor
You do not need to purchase the remote the Harmony has support for all remote functions. I did not purchase one either.
The performance is outstanding. Discrete input support (without DACx) would be a WONDERFUL addition :)

- Rich
Thanks Rich.

I will report once I have chance to find one here.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The proposed upgrade for the HPA4/LA4 is to add a configuration option to allow the units to respond to the remote codes where the D (for digital) now means direct :):
  • D1 selects XLR Input 1
  • D2 selects XLR Input 2
  • D3 selects RCA Input 3
  • D4 selects RCA Input 4
  • USB and Analog have no function

BenchmarkRemote.jpg
HPALA4Rear.jpg
- Rich

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The proposed upgrade for the HPA4/LA4 is to add a configuration option to allow the units to respond to the remote codes where the D (for digital) now means direct :):
  • D1 selects XLR Input 1
  • D2 selects XLR Input 2
  • D3 selects RCA Input 3
  • D4 selects RCA Input 4
  • USB and Analog have no function

View attachment 30906
View attachment 30907
- Rich
I need that now!

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just received an email from Audio Advisors that caused a double-take :p

RediculouslyPricedPreamp[.jpg

Constellation Specs:
  • Output noise: <20 ?V dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
  • THD+N: <0.001%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz @ 2V out, RI >10 K ohm; <0.1%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz @ 10V out, RI >10 K ohm
  • Frequency response: 10 Hz to 200 kHz, 0.5 dB
  • Input impedance (balanced): 200 K ohm
  • Input impedance (unbalanced): 100 K ohm
  • Output impedance: < 50 ohm
  • Volume control resolution: 0.1, 0.5, or 1 dB; user-selectable
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): 17.5" x 5.53" x 14.8", line stage; 17.5" x 2.82" x 14.5", power supply
  • Weight: 84 lbs., line stage; 26.2 lbs., power supply

AHB2 Specs:

• THD < -125 dB (0.00006%)
  • SNR > 135 dB, unweighted, 20-20 kHz
  • SNR > 137 dB, A-weighted
  • Frequency Response - 0.003 dB at 10 Hz, -0.001 dB at 20 kHz
  • - 3 dB Bandwidth exceeds 0.1 Hz to 500 kHz
  • Output Impedance 60 Ohms
  • Output Noise < 1.9 uV at Unity Gain, 20-20 kHz
  • Maximum Input and Output Voltage, 20 Vrms (+28 dBu)
  • Crosstalk < -133 dB @ 1 kHz, -116 dB @ 10 kHz
  • 8.0 lbs., 12 lbs. shipping
The HPA4/LA4 has much better THD+N but the Constellation Altair II adds a DAC input and 78 lbs. for only $29,999.99.
You might be able to haggle away the 99 cents :p

- Rich

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

geek101

Forum Donor
So exciting to see something from ABH2 be used in HPA4, if not for the $$ issue I would gladly get the DAC3 + HPA4 combo and call it done.

After much research I have been using ABH2 for my speakers. I was so surprised to notice such a small package deliver in spades and more.

Now only if Benchmark makes a set of speakers and headphones that measure perfect !!.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
So exciting to see something from ABH2 be used in HPA4, if not for the $$ issue I would gladly get the DAC3 + HPA4 combo and call it done.

After much research I have been using ABH2 for my speakers. I was so surprised to notice such a small package deliver in spades and more.

Now only if Benchmark makes a set of speakers and headphones that measure perfect !!.

The ABH2 supposedly pair really well with the Raal SR1A headphones. Raal actually suggests it as their recommended power source for the headphones. ( I tried the SR1A, so did Amir, they are indeed something special. Though you may or may not like them depending on your needs and preferences.)

Ratatoskr

The ABH2 supposedly pair really well with the Raal SR1A headphones. Raal actually suggests it as their recommended power source for the headphones. ( I tried the SR1A, so did Amir, they are indeed something special. Though you may or may not like them depending on your needs and preferences.)

Torq has a pretty extensive thread on the RAAL-requisite SR1a's at forum.headphones.com both he and Zhanming057 confirmed RAAL used the ABH2 during development of the SR1a. Adding a $3000 ABH2 to a $3500 SR1a makes quite a dent in the wallet though.

Both have recommended a single Vidar as an entry level amp at the minimum for the SR1a. Two Vidars in mono-block mode give you more dynamic range but will require a balanced pre-amp or DAC with volume control and XLR outs. The SR1a are reported to scale quite well with more expensive amps but you can certainly get by with a single Vidar on a budget. Though if you can swing the cost of the SR1a using a budget amp may not be a consideration for you:)

Something that may be a deal breaker for those who like to listen to phones while reclining is the SR1a's will fall off your head. They are designed to be listened to sitting up straight.

Last edited:

FourT6and2

$3K is a lot for a bare-bones headphone amp. If they got rid of the touchscreen and just had a button to cycle input and a button for the input levels, they could probably drop the price by $1,000. It's a simple headphone amp. Give me one 4-pin XLR jack and a volume knob. That's really all anybody needs.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If people just want a terrific sounding headphone amplifier with bags of power and outstanding measured performance then the JDS Atom does it for $100. I really don't think that there is any point going beyond the Atom if it is just about accessing first class performance from a headphone amplifier. However it is also true that the Atom feels a bit low rent and the Benchmark is a beautifully made SOTA product which gives buyers the satisfaction of knowing they've bought the best there is. Unnecessary but I do get the attraction. Not for me but I wouldn't say no if someone offered to give me one of these......

Sythrix

$3K is a lot for a bare-bones headphone amp. If they got rid of the touchscreen and just had a button to cycle input and a button for the input levels, they could probably drop the price by $1,000. It's a simple headphone amp. Give me one 4-pin XLR jack and a volume knob. That's really all anybody needs.

The amp is priced as it is because it's Benchmark... The only reason you could possibly factor in hardware is in the actual amplification module, the THX 888, which is the flagship design process that THX has put out and the most expensive to implement. The touchscreen does not cost anything close to $1000. It's just a bit of high end looks for an amp that will never be priced fairly for what it is... but then, no one should expect Benchmark to put out fairly priced hardware. They price on their name.

However, it should be noted that this amp also achieves absolutely outstanding measurements, so you are getting something worthwhile along with that name.

I would never buy it though, as it's close enough to my 789 for me to not be worried about it. Save it for people who have to have the name and the best of the best... or near enough.

FourT6and2

The amp is priced as it is because it's Benchmark... The only reason you could possibly factor in hardware is in the actual amplification module, the THX 888, which is the flagship design process that THX has put out and the most expensive to implement. The touchscreen does not cost anything close to $1000. It's just a bit of high end looks for an amp that will never be priced fairly for what it is... but then, no one should expect Benchmark to put out fairly priced hardware. They price on their name.

However, it should be noted that this amp also achieves absolutely outstanding measurements, so you are getting something worthwhile along with that name.

I would never buy it though, as it's close enough to my 789 for me to not be worried about it. Save it for people who have to have the name and the best of the best... or near enough.

Seems like Benchmark's other products—like their DACs—are priced competitively, like for like. DAC3-B is $1,700. That's on par with similar DACs from other companies. $3,000 for a bare-bones headphone amplifier though? Way more expensive. The fact that many are content with the 789 at $400 and then talk about the next best thing being the HPA4 at $3K is interesting. What do you get for an additional $2,600 going from 789 to HPA4? Other than brand name and measurements? I know this forum is all about measurements and that's why I like it. But at the same time, what net benefit does one see with the HPA4 over the 789 in actual use?

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Seems like Benchmark's other products—like their DACs—are priced competitively, like for like. DAC3-B is $1,700. That's on par with similar DACs from other companies. $3,000 for a bare-bones headphone amplifier though? Way more expensive. The fact that many are content with the 789 at $400 and then talk about the next best thing being the HPA4 at $3K is interesting. What do you get for an additional $2,600 going from 789 to HPA4? Other than brand name and measurements? I know this forum is all about measurements and that's why I like it. But at the same time, what net benefit does one see with the HPA4 over the 789 in actual use?
You get a SOTA pre-amp as well and considering that the LA4 itself costs $2500 it don't think it's unreasonable to charge $500 more for the best headphone amp ever made, so if anything it's the LA4 that's expensive and not the HPA4. Having said that I can't imagine the relay volume control being cheap to implement so I doubt Benchmark have huge margin on these products anyway.

FourT6and2

You get a SOTA pre-amp as well and considering that the LA4 itself costs $2500 it don't think it's unreasonable to charge $500 more for the best headphone amp ever made, so if anything it's the LA4 that's expensive and not the HPA4. Having said that I can't imagine the relay volume control being cheap to implement so I doubt Benchmark have huge margin on these products anyway.

Ok, then if Benchmark comes out with a bare-bones headphone amp without a pre-amp and touchscreen that's cheaper, I may be on board. Would I like one of these? Yes. But not at $3K when all I need is a volume knob for driving headphones :) They have multiple DAC3 models, with the "B" being the cheapest and stripped down. Maybe they'll offer an HPA4-Barebones. For $3K a DAC3-B + HPA4-B would be just right.

nemesisrobot

Forum Donor
BTW the whole purpose of the DAC3B is to pair them with the HPA4/LA4. I’m not sure what purpose a stripped down HPA4 would have in their current lineup.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
$3K is a lot for a bare-bones headphone amp.
True but it is, obviously, more than just a headphone amp. In fact, I see useful savings in eliminating the headphone amp portion. :p

Top Bottom