• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark: DAC4 around the corner?

tensor9

Forum Donor
I'm just curious. I'd love to see what you could do with the ES9038PRO.

cjf

If anything, I would love to see them introduce a more modern Lynx Hilo killer with AD/DA capabilities using either the current 9028PRO or better DAC chip. Hilo is getting long in the tooth and has its warts when it comes to bit rate changes that I'm all but fed up with but thus far its staying power seems tied to being one of the few AD/DA's on the market with a mature bidirectional/ multi-channel USB interface.

My DAC3 is a true gem in all categories so if they could combine their existing AD converter with the DAC3 DA section it would be a real winner. I'd be first in line to gobble it up

Even better yet would be an Ethernet implementation that can do all the things the USB implementation can do on the Hilo. I'm unsure why this is a challenge still these days considering how advanced ETH technology is but I suspect it has more to do with the available software which can take advantage of these capabilites.

My guess is a DAC4 will be awhile yet.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Oh boy. Can't wait. Hopefully their competitive juices were stirred by ASR's tests.

Edit: A barebones DAC4B to match the LA4 specifically.
Edit 2: Not about DACs, but an update to their discontinued MPA1 mic pre would be very welcome.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ideal for a future Benchmark DAC 4 HGC:

1) A balance control (since the HGC is essentially a preamp plus DAC). It seems balance controls have gone the way of tone controls. Of course I'm talking this for the analog inputs. Balance can be controlled in software for digital signals, if necessary.

2) A more positive feel for the remote, which works, but isn't quite precise for volume.

3) I'm used to the multiple LEDs, and they are quite informative. But something simpler (a digital readout screen) couldn't hurt.

cjf

I hope they jump into the multichannel realm as an additional wish. Something with bi-directional communication and at least 8 channels. Two cherries on top of that would be doing it all via ETH and allowing Linux without drivers via ALSA if USB is a requirement. The DAC3 works well with Linux so kudos to them for that but I want the same support with 8 channels. Here's to wishing!

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2) A more positive feel for the remote, which works, but isn't quite precise for volume.

I agree, but the DAC3 remote volume control precision is such an improvement over that on my old DAC1-HDR that I was thrilled with it by comparison.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Shangri-La wrote: This may be trivial, but I hope on the DAC4 they will put an LED light on the volumn knob. Too difficult too see from distance where the volumne knob is, especially in dim lighting.

@blueone wrote: I agree, but the DAC3 remote volume control precision is such an improvement over that on my old DAC1-HDR that I was thrilled with it by comparison.

To contrast both comments, which I 100% endorse, I have an old Yamaha AX-592 integrated amp. The volume knob has a small LED on it, bright enough that you can see its position from your chair, but not so bright that it is distracting. The Yamaha remote is an el-cheapo plastic thing with too many buttons (it has the ability to control all their other period gear--like cassette decks, LOL), but it has a very positive feel to it. You can briefly blip the volume button and it will move the amp's volume knob immediately, with no lag, allowing you to make very precise (but very small and incremental volume changes; changes that can be observed by the red light on the large volume control.

Of course Benchmark build quality is on another level than the old Yamaha, but in this small and seemingly insignificant ergonomic thing, the Yamaha is on another level than the Benchmark!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope they jump into the multichannel realm as an additional wish. Something with bi-directional communication and at least 8 channels. Two cherries on top of that would be doing it all via ETH and allowing Linux without drivers via ALSA if USB is a requirement. The DAC3 works well with Linux so kudos to them for that but I want the same support with 8 channels. Here's to wishing!
Given the price of their two channel DAC, can you speculate as to what an 8 channel DAC-4 might cost? Of course, even if it was 4 times the price, it would still be less money than some boutique 'high end' two channel DACs.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Native DSDx4 and 768kHz support! I don't have that many files that are over 384kHz, but I do have a decent amount of DSD 256 albums (pure from reel-to-reel) so that would be amazing to not have to have Roon convert everything. I appreciate that the analog section ISN'T converted to the digital realm, which is one of the main reasons I use the DAC3 has a preamp (that, and I live in an apartment, so 90% of my listening is headphones).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Given the price of their two channel DAC, can you speculate as to what an 8 channel DAC-4 might cost?
Understood. How about something innovative in the DAC (and in any update of the LA4/HPA4) such as an ability to link multiples for synchronizing signals and controls? Sort of a modular approach to multichannel?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
be nice to see the used DAC3 prices drop...

ayane

Forum Donor
I want to see more headroom for intersample peaks. I'd like to see them keeping aside at least an entire bit, and I'd also like to see an upsampling filter with an extremely aggressive cut-off at 22.05 kHz. Getting the 90 kHz bandwidth THD+N under -110 dBFS would also be nice, like the Matrix Element X and X-Sabre Pro, Okto DAC8, Auralic Vega, Chord Qutest, and a couple of others. Finally, support for more PCM formats would be nice, as supported by the RME ADI-2 Pro fs.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That, will be in direct competition with Merging's Anubis lol

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Benchmark is readily available used.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Benchmark is readily available used.
I guess it depends where you look. I just did an ebay search and there was 3 listed--two DAC 1 and one DAC 2. No amps or any of their other gear.

Sray

My wishes:
1. UltraLock support up to 384k and dsd 256.
2. USB Audio 3.0 input.
3. Better remote.
4. MQA
5. Better SINAD as DAC3 achieved 112 only.

Top Bottom