• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark DAC3 volume control issue

Dunlavyphile

Forum Donor
Even after months of use, I cannot accurately control the volume on this DAC with the remote. Aside from the very narrow reception angle, the volume jumps annoyingly when it responds at all. On a DAC with a fully digital volume control, such as my S.M.S.L. SU-9 Pro, I get precise control effortlessly: tap-tap-tap. But with the DAC3, it's a sufficiently hit-and-miss operation that I expect to need several tries to get the volume where I want it: too loud-too soft-close enough.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem? Do other owners have the same problem?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have a DAC2 HGC.

It claims digital control for digital, and analog control for the analog input.

Seems to work fine for me.

Maybe make sure no other light sources are interfering with the sensor. I've had that problem before with another device, had to make a little black paper shade. In my case, the PC monitor across the room was causing trouble.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I've seen plasma TV screens emit enough infrared light to make some remotes not work.
As @RayDunzl suggests, a black shade can fix this. Also, there are infrared filters you can place over the top of the remote sensor on the device.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try querying Benchmark technical support: I initially experienced a number of problems with the DAC2 HGC volume control which were eventually fixed with (non-free) firmware updates.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen plasma TV screens emit enough infrared light to make some remotes not work.
As @RayDunzl suggests, a black shade can fix this. Also, there are infrared filters you can place over the top of the remote sensor on the device.
completely agree... this is interference from.another device witha very high degree of probability. probably a rogue switching power supply somewhere in the chain...

the internal power supply in my DAC2 went rogue itself.

Top Bottom