• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shanling UA2 plus volume problems ()

AzM

I didn't know where else to go for advice on this, first time poster, long time reader.

I bought a UA2 plus for its good reviews and small size for my phone DAC.
Plugged it in to one plus 11 using usb audio player pro, sounded kind of okay but distorted: but then the problem came.

I turned down the volume to see if its just too loud and the volume went to almost silent THEN suddenly, it utterly blows my ears out, I pulled the headphones off completely in shock.

I cannot describe how terrifying it is to turn DOWN the volume on a device to almost zero then it jumps up to ear splitting loud, I had ringing in both ears for quite some time afterwards and I dont think my headphones survived the blast either. The level of volume isnt even loud, it just a blast of earphone breaking power suddenly.

To make clear
  • I wasn't turning them up, I was turning them DOWN
  • It reaches almost zero volume then jumps in one step to incredibly loud
  • This loudness isnt even normal loudness its like 200% max loudness.
I did some tests and the same effect happens across all my devices:
  • HIDIZ AP90 pro X: same thing happens.
  • One plus 11 using USB pro: same thing happens
  • Samsung s7 tab using USB pro: same thing happens.
I tried eddict and it doesn't do it in that but I believe this is because eddict is suing the android audio stack to control the volume?
The ap80 and one plus and samsung cannot be sharing the same hardware volume control?
Having tried 3 devices and they all do the same, surely this is the unit?
This cant be normal?

I did 3 videos to demonstrate:
20230914 UA2 plus OnePlus11
20230914 UA2 plus Tab s7
20230914 UA2 plus AP80X

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Yikes, that's terrifying. Smells like a wraparound problem of sorts. Or like some PWM fans will interpret a 0% duty cycle as 100% speed. Not sure whether there is much that can be done about this, is the firmware even user-upgradeable? There don't seem to be any updates for this model, just the regular old UA2. Asking support about this issue may be worth a shot anyway. It probably shouldn't be distorted either.

Top Bottom