• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 Amp order and alternatives

win

I don't think the wattage is likely to be the issue, as 50 extra wpc would translate into a barely noticeable volume increase. I'd guess it's more likely it's the amp's gain. I assume you've set the Benchmark to the highest gain setting? Even then, through, it's spec'd at (if memory serves) 23dB of gain, which is fine, but a bit lower than the 25-29dB gain that most power amps provide. Compared to a 25dB gain amp the difference might not be noticeable, but compared to a 29dB gain amp the difference might be pretty noticeable and you could conceivably be finding yourself running out of volume range on your source component or preamp. (The Benchmark does provide 29dB if you have two of them and run them in bridged mono mode).
Thanks for the reply and you might be right. I believe I am using the 2v based gain setting (ie most gain).
I haven't investigated it enough, since right now I don't have a real preamp and am using a Magni 3 temporarily as a preamp. This means I also have a rca -> xlr adapter cable going into my crossover (venu360). Benchmark makes more obvious provisions for consumer 2v audio than the venu360.

ChrisF

Have tried all gain settings. My pre is a little on the low gain side. So var not an issue.

FWIW, isn't the AHB2 more than 50wpc gain in mono?

win

FWIW, isn't the AHB2 more than 50wpc gain in mono?

i think it actually quadruples the wattage. So yes, way more than 50w.

of course, that presupposes that getting two $3000 amps is a smart idea for someone who recently got laid off and has a wife and kid :)

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3) Benchmark are good guys. They will interact with you in a positive manner and help you out if you have a problem.

Very true. I contacted Benchmark because I wanted to find out if I could use high capacitance cable with their AHB2 without sending it into oscillation and creating a $3k paperweight. I received a thoughtful reply from Michael Siau, their VP and director of engineering.

Just for fun, I sent the same question to Denon for their X3600H, and the response I got was the equivalent of "Durrrrrr, we dunno, so don't use high capacitance cable."

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Very true. I contacted Benchmark because I wanted to find out if I could use high capacitance cable with their AHB2 without sending it into oscillation and creating a $3k paperweight. I received a thoughtful reply from Michael Siau, their VP and director of engineering.

Just for fun, I sent the same question to Denon for their X3600H, and the response I got was the equivalent of "Durrrrrr, we dunno, so don't use high capacitance cable."

I think you mean John Siau -- he posts here BTW.

Feanor

Forum Donor
Yes, I had a pair on order and finally gave up. The delay has been going on for a long time. I ended up with the Anthem STR which is pricey but offers over 400w/ch. Detailed measurements of the amp are available on Audioholics. Your Tritons should be easy to drive so the 100w/ch Benchmark would be fine IMO so you can just wait it out. My alternatives were D class monoblocs based on the newer modules. I'm sure the very knowledgeable folks here can provide input on these and other alternatives.
Looks a bit front heavy, (nice, though) ...

1595711071696.png

win

Anthem has nice looking stuff. Hard to beat the AHB2 in black, though.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're looking for compact class D amps, there's always the Bel Canto stuff. I think they look better visually than the AHB2 (especially the older faceplates), but don't measure as well of course. You can often find them on the used market for a steep discount.

Reactions: ENG

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@March Audio makes some nice class D amplifiers but note Benchmark's AHB2 is not class D...

Top Bottom