• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beautiful Amplifiers? Exploring Art and Audio...

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Transistors don't need super complication either, as long as you're satisfied with moderate output:

Note the mu-follower at the output ;)
I know this circuit of course :)

BTW: When the first affordable power transistors became available in the sixties, 2N3055 or so, I built a heavy CLASS-A transistor amplifier the size of a beer crate with large heat sinks together with an older colleague at the Physics Institute in Heidelberg. We had an experimental workshop where all kinds of devices were built. Such an amp was not available at that time.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this circuit of course :)

BTW: When the first affordable power transistors became available in the sixties, 2N3055 or so, I built a heavy CLASS-A transistor amplifier the size of a beer crate with large heat sinks together with an older colleague at the Physics Institute in Heidelberg. We had an experimental workshop where all kinds of devices were built. Such an amp was not available at that time.
The newer MOSFETs are great for circuits of that sort. Pretty cheap, too.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Do people on this forum even like tube amps?
some've us do. :)

We had a tube amp when I was a kid back in the 60's.

I had no complaints.

Even "helped" put it together on the dining room table.

606eico140321.jpg

They work.

I have (like most everyone else on the planet) no tubes in operation anywhere in the house, now.
That HF-81 is much prettier than is mine.

(although, admittedly, I am using "prettier" in a somewhat nonstandard way when applying it to an HF-81) :)

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kelly Holsten's restored HF-81 looks great.

HF-81 - Kelly Holsten.jpg

Koeitje

Major Contributor

egellings

Major Contributor
Honestly, I like the home-brewed tube amp look more than 99% of the boutique tube amps. Trying too hard.
Here's a picture of Earl Gellings: His Reference preamp and his buddies that go out and electrocute any speaker that looks threatening.

Attachments

• Da Woiks.JPG
    Da Woiks.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 74

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
We had a tube amp when I was a kid back in the 60's.

I had no complaints.

Even "helped" put it together on the dining room table.

606eico140321.jpg

They work.

I have (like most everyone else on the planet) no tubes in operation anywhere in the house, now.
First kit I ever built and the first stereo amp I ever had.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Kelly Holsten's restored HF-81 looks great.

View attachment 263170
Indeed it is, inside and out.
Kelly Holsten, in those days a fixture on the Klipsch forums, started the big run-up on cost for these nice stereo pp EL84 integrated amplifiers (essentially two EICO HF-12 mono integrateds in one box) with his beautifully-done website chockablock with sexy photos of his well-restored HF81.
The Stereophile review of a restored (somewhat resto-modded, as I recall) HF-81 by the late Peter Brueninger finished the job. ;)

Kelly was/is a good guy. I have totally lost track of him, though.

25W, that will clip pretty fast at decent listening levels with most consumer loudspeakers.
Key word there being most.

:cool:

We could strip wallpaper with 25 watts at my house.
That's why I (usually) only use about 3 watts (per channel) -- although, in fairness, we don't have any wallpaper.

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I once had this Leben tube amp, made in Japan. Very beautiful I musy say.
I have one of those somewhere. It's the best-smelling amp I ever had - whatever kind of linseed oil he uses on the wood cheeks is lovely. And I like the bass shelf switch for headphone listening - really helps the HD800s, for instance.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It's always cool to see what folk like, knowing one man's swan is another's ugly duckling.

My old ARC SP3a1 in black and gold had a vintage look (not mine, pulled from the 'net, mine's in a box):
iu

Paired to a newer (but very old now, and sold some years ago) D-79 (picture from the 'net again):
iu

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I just found a picture of a Tonkunst performance with my old DIY 300B amplifiers. It was a so called concert for loudspeakers. Musique concrète was played from a REVOX Tape recorder. This is a concept that I had taken over from Susumu Sakuma 'the king of DHT triodes' (R.I.P.) from Japan, who has inspired me in the past. I always loved to instrumentalize my audio stuff for art.

mayr2-1136.jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
/raises hand
I have my home brewed mono-block tube power amps and preamp done with tubes and enjoy the sound. The key thing is that I enjoy the sound, even if there is not a string of zeroes to the right of the dismal point before the first non-zero digit is encountered in the distortion readings.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's Ghent's case for the stereo version of Hypex NC400 stereo amp! I bought that very case a few years ago intending to build a stereo NC 400 amp. Meanwhile Purifi came out with the Eval 1, and I decided I wanted to do it instead, so I had a local company fabricate (laser cut) a new back to accommodate the very different mount required for the Eval 1, as well as drill some holes for the Eval 1 board. I was going to get the board annodized black, but the cost of that would have been as much as the initial fabrication, so I just painted it black with Krylon. It looks awful, but who looks at the back of their amp?

And it works! It's an Eval 1 though it says Ncore on the front of the case. Works perfectly. I also opted for an orange light instead because if I saw another blue light on a piece of audio gear, I would prolly need to kill everyone in the room.

Top Bottom