• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 800D4 series

witwald

Forum Donor
I saw decent measurement of Revel F228Be from here
The point being , one has to listen to the speakers in addition reading the measurement.
The EQing of that loudspeaker consisted of the following: 1) knocking down the two room modes around 89 Hz, and 2) adding a slight boost in the 400 Hz of around 2 dB or so, based on PIR response. The result: "Once tuned to the room, the sound was sublime." I'm not sure how important the listening really was to all of this, as it seemed to be more like verification of the tuning. It just so happens that this loudspeaker probably required less tuning than do some others. Without any measurements to hand, that might be a lot harder for many people to accomplish. Of course, a less well-tuned loudspeaker might have sounded "better" at the initial listening stage, even though that wasn't actually the case.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I saw decent measurement of Revel F228Be from here
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/revel-f228be-predicted-in-room-frequency-response-measurements-speaker-floor-standing-png.131684/ However, in the room the initial impression by the reviewer was "First impression was NOT positive! The sound was boomy and vocals lost in the midst of all that...". Until he did room correction. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-f228be-review-speaker.23659/
The point being , one has to listen to the speakers in addition reading the measurement.
Having listened to them without prior access to measurements, the F228Be speakers were immediately satisfying in my room (without EQ) and with direct comparison to the 802D3. FWIW.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
"Well why you all complaining I am totally enjoying my 800 D3's" This is what this hobby is all about! I'm genuinely happy for you. I'm sure B&w 800D3 would be an end-game speaker for many of us. As I mentioned before in my earlier post, I've heard the speakers and subjectively was very impressed.
End-game in terms of price, but not in terms of performance.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
For me the strongest thing about the BW 800 series is how it looks lol
B_W_803_D4_600x600.jpg

klangfilm

I am French...
The d4 is more neutral, coherent, with no highs emphasis, beautiful mids, a better impact in the bass...

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the 800D3 first the 801D4 from 2.23"

Art Vandelay

I am French...
The d4 is more neutral, coherent, with no highs emphasis, beautiful mids, a better impact in the bass...

That seems to be the consensus, even though the measurements (to date) don't provide an explanation.

I'll get to hear them on Thursday, and looking forward to it. Someone I know who's reviewing them for an on-line publication deems them to be close in absolute performance to his Wilson's which are double the price, and perhaps just exceeding the Wilson's in areas of treble detail and bass tautness, and impact, with the Wilson's just edging out the B&W's in the mid band - with more ultimate realism.

He felt the the slight upper-mid prominence from previous models still exists but is barely detectible, and treble balance is near faultless.
IOW, this is one of the world's best floorstanders.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That seems to be the consensus, even though the measurements (to date) don't provide an explanation.

I'll get to hear them on Thursday, and looking forward to it. Someone I know who's reviewing them for an on-line publication deems them to be close in absolute performance to his Wilson's which are double the price, and perhaps just exceeding the Wilson's in areas of treble detail and bass tautness, and impact, with the Wilson's just edging out the B&W's in the mid band - with more ultimate realism.

He felt the the slight upper-mid prominence from previous models still exists but is barely detectible, and treble balance is near faultless.
IOW, this is one of the world's best floorstanders.
Wilson’s measure even more poorly than B&Ws they are however a triumph of marketing over substance.
Keith

Descartes

Major Contributor
Sorry if I missed it are there any measurements yet on these speakers?

atsmusic

Wilson’s measure even more poorly than B&Ws they are however a triumph of marketing over substance.
Keith

Yeah because Wilson couldn't make them measure any different. they have no idea what they are doing.

Top Bottom